Page 50 of 95 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does anyone actually keep track of the deaths in their state for their age groups?

Wi is all over the news for how "bad" it is here. Well let's see....
    According to wi dot gov daily covid tracking info there has yet to be a single death between 0-19yrs
    There were 11 from 20-29, 23 for 30-39 and 51 from 40-49.
    There are 5.82 million people in Wisconsin.

Cases don't mean much. Just something for the media to keep the fear mongering going strong.

Has anyone ever once heard the media talking about flu cases and deaths? Talking about going to get tested daily? Talking about masks and social distancing?
    Why not? Flu is no joke, it actually kills children at higher rates than covid and kills up to 60+ thousand in the United states yearly.

How about talk of all the 655,000 who die yearly of heart disease? Wheres all the love for them?

Good stuff

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Does anyone actually keep track of the deaths in their state for their age groups?

Wi is all over the news for how "bad" it is here. Well let's see....
    According to wi dot gov daily covid tracking info there has yet to be a single death between 0-19yrs
    There were 11 from 20-29, 23 for 30-39 and 51 from 40-49.
    There are 5.82 million people in Wisconsin.

Cases don't mean much. Just something for the media to keep the fear mongering going strong.

Has anyone ever once heard the media talking about flu cases and deaths? Talking about going to get tested daily? Talking about masks and social distancing?
    Why not? Flu is no joke, it actually kills children at higher rates than covid and kills up to 60+ thousand in the United states yearly.

How about talk of all the 655,000 who die yearly of heart disease? Wheres all the love for them?

Good stuff
    Maybe I’m reading you wrong but it seems that you’re itching for an argument? Don’t really need that here.

I get what you’re saying though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Forget Covid for a second and imagine the rammifications of our nationwide response to a pandemic. This is a true test of our defenses against a pandemic and the next massive event. If the comorbidity rate of a different virus was just 3% vs the 1% we are currently experiencing, this would devastate the country with 9.9 million deaths. The economic situation could collapse IMO. If anything, this epidemic is a learning tool sadly after 200k + deaths but still vital to combating the next pandemic. The world dodged a big bullet with covid being less deadly than other airborne viruses.

I'm too ignorant to state facts. From what I gather the elder and people with pre existing health problems are the most at risk with this scary flu.
    I don't want things to stay this way and I see no sign of things getting better anytime soon. All you can do is hope for the best and be prepared for the worst I guess.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Maybe I’m reading you wrong but it seems that you’re itching for an argument? Don’t really need that here.

I get what you’re saying though.
    Nothing to argue about. Those numbers are the facts.

It's turned into a political tool though that's very obvious.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    It's turned into a political tool though that's very obvious.
    I really don’t see it that way, and don’t want to try to make it political.

Toilet paper isn’t political - let’s talk about that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

My understanding: the difference between handling covid vs. the seasonal flu (and other illnesses) is that our health care systems are already designed to handle those other ones. We already know what to expect each year, and we have the capacity, knowledge, medications & procedures to deal with it. (Which also includes mitigation -- eg. the flu vaccine -- that isn't available yet for covid; thus social distancing, masks etc.)

The thing about a "novel" epi/pandemic that freaks out people in health care is the danger of overwhelming the system (including the people who work in it).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't want things to stay this way and I see no sign of things getting better anytime soon.
    I heard an interview with Nicholas Christakis (M.D., Yale professor, author with a just-published covid book) who figures even with a vaccine made widely available early next year, we're still going to be doing distancing, masks etc. until 2022 before herd immunity arrives.

The good news is: you get to skip that 61st birthay party too!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Cases don't mean much.
    That's true, in a sense: the more important stats are hospitalization & mortality rates. Case count is most useful for predicting those outcomes when the age/health profile of the infected population remains constant, which it hasn't between the 1st and 2nd waves. It's skewing more toward younger people in the 2nd wave who statistically have much better outcomes than the oldsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Toilet paper isn’t political - let’s talk about that?
    Can we talk about beer and weed ... and what was the other one? Meth?

Or we can talk about Mirages!

Or the U.S. election? (Haha kidding.)