Page 34 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MIMirage View Post
    Here is a chart. The line is the average number of expected deaths for any given week. The bars are the actual deaths. Any bars above the line are deaths that are considered excess deaths. The highlighted bar is about 2 weeks after the first cases of Covid started showing up, or when deaths could be expected. Something is killing people at a rate way above average this year.

Attachment 19139
    The death rate is surely higher in some areas. I read that New York City has a 325% increase in their death rate. Sorry if I made it sound like the death rate hasn't increased this year. I don't think it has changed the death rate in some areas of the country, but it surely has had an impact on others.

Thankfully, children don't seem as impacted by the virus. That doesn't mean everyone including children shouldn't be careful.

My entire county is at 49 known cases now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My dad is in the hospital and I wound up with symptoms and had to get tested... not much fun. Negative fortunately.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MIMirage View Post
    Here is a chart. The line is the average number of expected deaths for any given week. The bars are the actual deaths. Any bars above the line are deaths that are considered excess deaths. The highlighted bar is about 2 weeks after the first cases of Covid started showing up, or when deaths could be expected. Something is killing people at a rate way above average this year.
    The CDC has recently stated that only 6% of COVID-19 deaths are coronavirus only. 94% of coronavirus deaths are a combination of the virus and something else.

"This means 94 percent of people who died of the virus in the US had other conditions, which contributed to their death in addition to COVID-19." Exact quote taken from several sources -

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/he...d-5bc9e499242a

https://nypost.com/2020/08/31/94-of-...ng-conditions/

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/...al-conditions/

If there are 185,000 deaths, that mean about 11,100 of them are COVID-19 only deaths in the entire country. One death is too many, but I understand why many people question the numbers.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-01-2020 at 03:23 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Pryme (09-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We are living through a world-wide pandemic. If someone has lost a loved one to COVID-19, I am very sorry to hear that. I don't want to make light of that, or put my foot in my mouth.

I'm not sure the death numbers in American are much different than last year's numbers. Here's an article saying we have less deaths than last year without the pandemic. Just something to think about, and that is how I view this thread. It doesn't have to be about politics.

https://www.kootenaivalleytimes.com/...47feeb5bc.html
    It looks like the article you linked to is using the wrong data. Your article says they got their data from the CDC which I have directly linked to the CDC data below. Why the Kootenai Valley article couldn't also link directly, to their data source, is disappointing. I don't know where they got their 2020 numbers from but they look incorrect. Maybe stuff like that is why people don't know what numbers to trust.

The excess deaths are clear, but from what, the internet experts can debate.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm
    Last edited by gone.a; 09-01-2020 at 07:44 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-01-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    One issue is the sheer numbers of Americans with underlying health conditions, we aren't exactly a healthy country. This is a big factor in why Covid19 has took so many lives. We also dont know the ramifications of long time exposure to the virus. We dont know if it is a naturally occuring phenomenon or a man made virus that escaped a lab. We dont know if the virus will mutate or shift come winter. Too many questions that wont be answered for at least another year or so. Who here wants to try Putin's vaccine? Lol

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

2of9 (09-01-2020),Fummins (09-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    We dont know if the virus will mutate or shift come winter.
    I thought it already branched to another strain?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    my father, a 25 year CDC health officer.
    That is cool! Care to share his daily practices of how to navigate the world in the current situation?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One issue is the sheer numbers of Americans with underlying health conditions, we aren't exactly a healthy country. This is a big factor in why Covid19 has took so many lives. We also dont know the ramifications of long time exposure to the virus. We dont know if it is a naturally occuring phenomenon or a man made virus that escaped a lab. We dont know if the virus will mutate or shift come winter. Too many questions that wont be answered for at least another year or so. Who here wants to try Putin's vaccine? Lol
    100% agreed on have underlying health conditions. I know friends that had it and recovered from it within 2 weeks. Then, I had a friend's sister that passed away from COVID19. She was only 31 but she did have underlying health conditions. It's a crap situation. If I was on the brink of death and there was a 'vaccine' for it, might as well. But for now, I'll let the experts tell us. It's annoying to read an article of an article about an interpretation of an article. The best I can do is just go to the CDC/WHO website and see what updates there are.

I haven't followed much about how COVID19 is going to 'mutate' or if things are going to get worse before it gets better, but I think as long as everyone just wear masks and thinks of other's safety, thats the best thing, and easiest thing, you can do. Anyways, who else is getting their news from the Echo Chambers of Facebook groups or social media groups? Ya hear that COVID19 can travel from 5G towers? lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    A random thought on the subject...

Medicare reimburses hospitals a higher amount of money for COVID patients. So if "COVID" is on a death certificate or patient discharge paperwork, the hospital gets paid a lot more. Is that influencing the way hospitals file paperwork?

LINK: Medicare Hospitals Paid More for COVID

Someone recently told me about his mom being in the hospital for a week with pneumonia. They tested her twice for COVID...both tests came back negative. But her discharge paperwork still said "probable COVID" on it. Hmmm...
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 09-01-2020 at 08:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (09-01-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    That is cool! Care to share his daily practices of how to navigate the world in the current situation?
    He stressed outbreaks are often successive in 2 to 3 waves going back in history. There's no reason to think this wont be the case now unfortunately but hopefully that wont be the case. He's also not thrilled with the way the White House has severely damaged the CDC's reputation. Two high ranking deputy directors have resigned, morale is at an all time low, and many are questioning why we are still doing political appointments for the head of the CDC and NIH. It didnt use to be this way, it was once a neutral appointment similar to the director of the CIA & FBI. Instead now we're to listen to a doctor who believes in demon seed? Unbelievable.