Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Coolant Temperature!! (Is there a way to display it?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman,
    . . . . Actually there is a big difference. A CB contains no personal information about you. No logon credentials, no GPS, nothing about the person. It can't even be tracked unless you are transmitting. A cell phone that is turned on can be tracked whether or not you are talking on it. A smartphone can have passwords, logon credentials, credit card numbers, and other personal information. If the phone is on it can be tracked and hacked. No Thanks!!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nobu,
    . . . . Separate gauges that can use the data stream are possible but I don't see how standard analog gauges could be made to work. The digital data would have to be converted to analog and made to emulate what an analog gauge uses. Might work but I don't think so.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Digital just means there are two values High and Low, whereas an analog signal has an infinite number of values in the specified range. You could easily do it with a little microcontroller if you know the range of the gauges you're interfacing with, could even make it programmable so you could use any gauge. Unfortunately, nobody makes one for this purpose, afaik.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nobu For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    Would be cool if scangage made an odb reader that had outputs for separate gauges, even better if it were compatible with standard gauges...
    There is lots more information available through an OBD-II port than what was once found with typical mechanical gauges. That's why I prefer to use a 'smart' phone or tablet to display the OBD-II data, and it's very easily configured.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Eggman,
    . . . . Actually there is a big difference. A CB contains no personal information about you. No logon credentials, no GPS, nothing about the person. It can't even be tracked unless you are transmitting. A cell phone that is turned on can be tracked whether or not you are talking on it. A smartphone can have passwords, logon credentials, credit card numbers, and other personal information. If the phone is on it can be tracked and hacked. No Thanks!!
    Ah, so it's not wireless technology, but internet tech that has you worried. I see.

Although, I wonder just how much information can be gained by analyzing a transmitter's signal... Every transmitter & antenna has it's own set of characteristics particular to it's setup.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yeah, but when I'm going down the road or just stopped momentarily, I'm only interested in a few things. The OBDII apps are nice for diagnostics, but if I just want to see if there's an immediate problem (low fuel, overheat, low voltage, etc.) A gauge or indicator is just fine (and more importantly, doesn't drain my phone's battery or put glare in my eyes).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    True,
    . . . . It would be easier and cheaper to design a line of gauges that can be daisy chained to the OBD bus and read the data stream. Could analog gauges be interfaced? Sure! Would it be worth while to do so? Probably not. The ScanGauge can display 4 items at a time. That is four gauges and where would you mount them? I bet that you can daisy chain ScanGauges together and have 8, 12, 16 or even more items displayed at one time. Just my opinion and observations!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman,
    . . . . It isn't just the wireless technology but it is the wireless in conjunction with the tracking capability of cell phones and smart phones and the personal data that can be stored on smart phones. With the proper technology smart phones can be hacked and all of your personal information can be stolen. This is also true of wireless internet. I use a landline at home and my computers are hardwired with Cat 5E cables to my Router/Firewall. I am not directly connected to the Internet. As far as the outside world is concerned my computers don't exist. How much security do you want to give up for convenience? Just my opinion and observations.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Eggman,
    . . . . Interesting links and greatly appreciated. I noticed a couple people mentioned that their Speedometers indicated fast. Mine is reading about 4% fast. Indicated 70 is about 66 actual. Anyone else? Can the dealer fix this? I like my instruments to be accurate.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    There are different tire circumference settings in ETACS. I don't remember anyone switching the settings to something that does a better match to 165/65r14 factory tires? If someone has done that, I hope they speak up.

You may be interested to see what things are listed under ETACS. Daox has taken a picture of all the items for us. If you look at post #57, you will see tire circumference listed on row #51.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...S-tweaks/page6

Post #55 mentioned changing the tire circumference setting, but I don't know if that was really done or not?

You may also find this interesting - it's someone showing how they make changes in ETACS. They shared it on the forum, but I find it easier on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcMpT6JalTQ

You may not be interested in doing this yourself, but it may help you discuss all this with the service department of your dealership. When they say it can't be done, you may be able to correct them on that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nobu,
    . . . . I agree. When I built my RX-3 I rebuilt the center dash and installed a full suite of gauges. There were nine gauges arranged in three rows. The first row had in this order Water Temp, Oil Pressure, and Oil Temp. The second row had Voltmeter, Ammeter, and Fuel Level. The third row had Fuel Pressure, Turbo Boost, and Exhaust Temp. Where would I put nine gauges in my Mirage? I don't know! Would I want to hack up the dash of my Mirage? NO! So the ScanGauge will work well and give me plenty of readings. I hope that nothing ever goes wrong with my Mirage but having the other functions will be handy. Just my opinion and observations!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . Both of those are very handy and greatly appreciated. Yes, you can change the circumference specifications for your tires in the ECM which would allow you to fine tune the Speedometer Reading. Where do you get the ETACS software so that you can read and write to the ECM? The cable is no problem. The next step is getting my Mirage into my apartment so that I can plug my computer into it. LOL! My landlord is really going to like that. Can you disassemble it like a VW Beetle, transport it piece by piece, and then put it back together. Hum!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!