Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: No response to gas pedal (Update/solved: used CVT replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The timing chain is HIGHLY unlikely to break. But, even if you had an engine problem, a replacement engine can be had for $5-700 pretty easily. I got a 20k mile 2017 engine for $600.

If you're swapping a trans... you might consider just grabbing the engine and trans from the same low-mileage car. Take a video of your good-running engine before you take it out of the car, and sell it for $3-400 when you're done.

Simplify and add lightness.

I just re read some of this thread. Sounds just like the 2017 I was messing with. When it got hot there was no throttle response. I changed the oil and kept coming up with different codes every time I'd drive it. I ended up dropping the pan completely disassembled the valve body, tossed it back together. Still acted weird, pulled the drain plug and refilled it and now it's 98% better. Good enough to drive to an auction or trade in at a dealership lol. I don't know how long it's gonna last, I don't have another cvt ready to go anyways. I did the same to a 2015 last summer/fall and it's still going everyday.

I didn't do any programming on the first one or two cvt's I installed. Just drove them around nicely a lot and they seemed to be fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (05-15-2020),Top_Fuel (05-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    The timing chain is HIGHLY unlikely to break. But, even if you had an engine problem, a replacement engine can be had for $5-700 pretty easily. I got a 20k mile 2017 engine for $600.

If you're swapping a trans... you might consider just grabbing the engine and trans from the same low-mileage car. Take a video of your good-running engine before you take it out of the car, and sell it for $3-400 when you're done.
    My timing chain comment was kind of a joke...... well, kind of. lol

I like your thinking about the engine as well. I just found a same year cvt about 100 miles away from me with 4k miles on it for $600. I messaged them to see if they also had the engine from this car, and how much for both if yes. Thanks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cwick For This Useful Post:

Loren (05-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just re read some of this thread. Sounds just like the 2017 I was messing with. When it got hot there was no throttle response. I changed the oil and kept coming up with different codes every time I'd drive it. I ended up dropping the pan completely disassembled the valve body, tossed it back together. Still acted weird, pulled the drain plug and refilled it and now it's 98% better. Good enough to drive to an auction or trade in at a dealership lol. I don't know how long it's gonna last, I don't have another cvt ready to go anyways. I did the same to a 2015 last summer/fall and it's still going everyday.

I didn't do any programming on the first one or two cvt's I installed. Just drove them around nicely a lot and they seemed to be fine.
    Thanks for this info!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Did you do the cvt fluid & filter changes every 30k miles? I read you did it once a bit before yours failed, that right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I didn't

These seem to be hit and miss as far as how long they'll last anyways so I wouldn't sweat it. I re read your first post again and it sounds exactly like the 2017 I just dealt with. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...v-up-when-warm They just picked it up today and I haven't gotten a phone call yet so yay. But it's days are numbered. This car drove fine when cold, no codes nothing. Get it good and hot and once you slow to a stop it wouldn't rev up. Would clunk hard into reverse and drive when it wouldn't rev up as well. Restarting would get it moving again for a little while. I'll have to pull another cvt to have on hand for when this latest one craps out. I don't have a ton of confidence in it but it's working so....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Definitely sounds very similar! Working is good!

Wishing I had gone with a manual transmission.... oh well

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    These seem to be hit and miss as far as how long they'll last anyways so I wouldn't sweat it. I re read your first post again and it sounds exactly like the 2017 I just dealt with. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...v-up-when-warm They just picked it up today and I haven't gotten a phone call yet so yay. But it's days are numbered. This car drove fine when cold, no codes nothing. Get it good and hot and once you slow to a stop it wouldn't rev up. Would clunk hard into reverse and drive when it wouldn't rev up as well. Restarting would get it moving again for a little while. I'll have to pull another cvt to have on hand for when this latest one craps out. I don't have a ton of confidence in it but it's working so....

You really think its hit or miss though Fummy? You maintain your fleet with preventative maintenance and your success rate is pretty damn good. How many 2015s over 150k miles now? You have like what, 20x 2015s? And only 2 have had cvt issues? I'm not contradicting or anything negative, I'm just extremely curious.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20200515_230828.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  98.0 KB

Dropped cvt pan. Fluid looked a little darker then on dipstick, but still not black. I didn't find any large metal chunks, just fine shavings. Magnets were "furry". The only code it was throwing was p0796: primary pressure solenoid "C" performance/stuck off. Not sure if that solenoid just failed, or a valve got stuck, or what?