Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mirage 5MT 180 miles

Welcome! I consider mine the modern day Pinto. Small, cheap, simple, efficient and you're likely be badly hurt or killed if in a bad accident But I still prefer to drive the Mirage over the wife's suv or my pickup. For some weird reason.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Same, do you feel any hesitation while shifting? From 1st to 2nd l have to shift slowly...if l don't-it feels rubberband-ish...also still getting the clutch feel and still jerk sometimes on upshifting.

First 2020 here?? Welcome to the group!

You'll be smooth on that clutch in no time.

What were you driving before?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-16-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Manuals take a while to brake in. My Mirage shifts way better now than the day I bought it 6 years ago.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    First 2020 here?? Welcome to the group!

You'll be smooth on that clutch in no time.

What were you driving before?
    A friends subaru impreza with a stage 4 clutch...drove a saturn ion and subaru outback in automatic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Same, do you feel any hesitation while shifting? From 1st to 2nd l have to shift slowly...if l don't-it feels rubberband-ish...also still getting the clutch feel and still jerk sometimes on upshifting.
    In my opinion, every manual transmission has a different feel to it. I go back & forth between my Forester & Mirage. Personally, I feel both shift smoothly. If I haven't driven one of them for quite some time, it feels a little awkward @ first. I thought my Mirage was a little clunky at first. Now when I go back to Forester, it feels a bit clunky. It's what you get use to driving. Between those two vehicles, the neutral position feels very different. I still notice that every time I compare driving the two.

The light clutch pedal seems a bit odd at first, but now I think nothing of it. Shifting into reverse can be a little clunker than some manuals, but I've never owned a manual that didn't have those moments. Most of the time shifting into 1st and then back to reverse helps.

There are times when I'll skip using 1st gear. If the road is a little sloped down or I sense not much power is need to take off/keep rolling, I will just skip to 2nd gear & go. Shifting 1st to 2nd seems to be the most clunky shift in pretty much every manual I have ever driven. The exception may be the old time manuals (3 speed on the column), but I haven't driven one of those in decades.

I think the 5-speed Mirage is fun to drive. I don't even consider vehicles that aren't manuals, but I'm not the norm on that. We do have a loyal manual crowd on the forum, however. Dirk makes an a noble effort to make some of us CVT converts at times. In my case, I am not willing to pay extra for something that I really don't care for in the first place. Ironically, I would pay extra for a manual.

Manuals are super easy to maintain (no filters). Steve "cheap plastic car" is approaching 300,000 miles on his Mirage (original clutch). He is the process of replacing his shifting cables one of these days, however. Normal wear items like brakes & tires have been his main expenses. The exception would be the new shifting cables he's planning to replace & an A/C compressor that he replaced some time ago. That's pretty remarkable for a cheap little economy car.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-16-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Welcome aboard. You make a point that I have made many times defending this car on the internet over the last five years. The Mirage is a 2000 pound hatchback with a free-revving, DOHC, high-compression, 3-cylinder engine featuring variable valve timing and with a manual transmission.

Most 'car guys' would like this car if they actually drove it.
    Does high compression mean these engines are comfortable at 3000 rpms constantly?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In my opinion, every manual transmission has a different feel to it. I go back & forth between my Forester & Mirage. Personally, I feel both shift smoothly. If I haven't driven one of them for quite some time, it feels a little awkward @ first. I thought my Mirage was a little clunky at first. Now when I go back to Forester, it feels a bit clunky. It's what you get use to driving. Between those two vehicles, the neutral position feels very different. I still notice that every time I compare driving the two.

The light clutch pedal seems a bit odd at first, but now I think nothing of it. Shifting into reverse can be a little clunker than some manuals, but I've never owned a manual that didn't have those moments. Most of the time shifting into 1st and then back to reverse helps.

There are times when I'll skip using 1st gear. If the road is a little sloped down or I sense not much power is need to take off/keep rolling, I will just skip to 2nd gear & go. Shifting 1st to 2nd seems to be the most clunky shift in pretty much every manual I have ever driven. The exception may be the old time manuals (3 speed on the column), but I haven't driven one of those in decades.

I think the 5-speed Mirage is fun to drive. I don't even consider vehicles that aren't manuals, but I'm not the norm on that. We do have a loyal manual crowd on the forum, however. Dirk makes an a noble effort to make some of us CVT converts at times. In my case, I am not willing to pay extra for something that I really don't care for in the first place. Ironically, I would pay extra for a manual.

Manuals are super easy to maintain (no filters). Steve "cheap plastic car" is approaching 300,000 miles on his Mirage (original clutch). He is the process of replacing his shifting cables one of these days, however. Normal wear items like brakes & tires have been his main expenses. The exception would be the new shifting cables he's planning to replace & an A/C compressor that he replaced some time ago. That's pretty remarkable for a cheap little economy car.
    That's awesome to see someone go 300,000 miles...with the original clutch. Most of my friends are die-hard toyota fans...l keep reminding them that any car can get to 300,000 miles if you do proper maintenance....my automatic Saturn Ion went to almost 200,000 before the subframe cracked through due to extreme rust.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    That's awesome to see someone go 300,000 miles...with the original clutch. Most of my friends are die-hard toyota fans...l keep reminding them that any car can get to 300,000 miles if you do proper maintenance....my automatic Saturn Ion went to almost 200,000 before the subframe cracked through due to extreme rust.
    I sound like a broken record on this piece of advice eh, but I would get your car undercoated with Krown rust Control, or something equivalent.

My 6+ year old Mirage looks brand new. Krown saved my Mirage from the effects of Ontario winter road salt etc. Worth the money every year. Only problem is that it stinks.

Cheers!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I sound like a broken record on this piece of advice eh, but I would get your car undercoated with Krown rust Control, or something equivalent.

My 6+ year old Mirage looks brand new. Krown saved my Mirage from the effects of Ontario winter road salt etc. Worth the money every year. Only problem is that it stinks.

Cheers!
    l'll have a honda civic as a winter car, but do you think it's still worth it to undercoat the Mirage?