Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of an Impending Car-Price Collapse Grips Auto Industry

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Someone I know with a Ram pickup is on their 3rd automatic transmission @ 55,000 miles. Hardest job it does is pull a cattle trailer to the stockyards a few times a year. Apparently, they don't have one of those best transmissions?

Ram had to do something different. Without Ram trucks & loyal Jeep owners, Chrysler would have disappeared already. Fiat surely wasn't going to save them.
    Depends on the year and model Mark. Half ton only, and '14 and up. If they are pulling a cattle trailer they likely have a 25 or 3500 and those use an Aisin 6 speed box

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Deposit received, and the car passed inspection no problem.

Get this: the buyers don't want to pick it up until Monday because their insurance company is paying for their rental Kia until then.

Ouch! Sadface Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Is an inspection of some sort required when you sell a car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Deposit received, and the car passed inspection no problem.

Get this: the buyers don't want to pick it up until Monday because their insurance company is paying for their rental Kia until then.

Ouch! Sadface Mirage.
    Ride is better. I drove over 150 km's in my Mirage today, that's a lot for me, and you forget what it's like to sit so low driving with a tiny wheelbase...

I love my bare bones Mirage ES but I can see why other cars are more comfy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Is an inspection of some sort required when you sell a car?
    In Ontario when you transfer ownership, the car has to pass a mechanical inspection before it can be put on the road by the new owner. I think there may be exceptions for transfers within families.

You can buy or sell a car without an inspection, but then it's up to the buyer if it needs any repairs. Most older cars are sold "as-is".

My Mirage was sold as-is when I got it primarily because of the minor body damage that would have caused it to fail (headlight housing was no longer secured to the car ). And it needed brakes. Badly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Ride is better. I drove over 150 km's in my Mirage today, that's a lot for me, and you forget what it's like to sit so low driving with a tiny wheelbase...

I love my bare bones Mirage ES but I can see why other cars are more comfy.
    I put 140 miles (225 km) on 2019 Subaru Impreza (2.0L, CVT, 152 hp) the past two days. It handles nice & seemed like a solid car. Then again AWD adds weight to all the Subaru vehicles. It was a very basic model. Window sticker in the glovebox was approximately $21,000 (= $29,370 Canadian). Seems like a lot of money for a hatchback, but it is AWD. At 60 mph, it was @ 1,500 rpm going down the highway. It was a free loaner car from the dealership.

I must admit the Subaru dealership has always treated me very well. I wasn't expected a free loaner, but they aren't allowing people in their waiting rooms either. It meant two trips to Madison for me, but I appreciated the free loaner. I wasn't expecting that when I got there.

I went to pick up my compact tractor that I had left a friend's place last Saturday, and my 2011 Forester dash went nuts. Engine light solid, traction control light solid, cruise light flashing/disabled, fuel tank light flashing, gas gauge-dead. I called my local mechanic, & he didn't seem like he wanted to deal with it. If it was a computer issue, he told me he couldn't do much.

The weird part about it all - I added a large bottle of Techron with a full gas tank of gas, because it was stalling at idle while in town later. When I went to drive to Madison a couple days later, all the lights went off except the empty gas tank light flashing. Drove 65+ miles to the Subaru dealership with only the gas gauge not working & other lights were off. Once I got there, I turned off the vehicle & restarted it. All the same lights that were an issue a few days ago came back on again.

Service manager didn't think it was going to be an easy fix, & sent me home with a free loaner. Thankfully, it was an easy fix. Some mice had ate the wires leading to the gas tank. They spliced the wires and everything was fine. Not sure how all the lights were connected to that, but it ran perfect coming home today. I was expecting a catalytic converter issue, sending units, fuel pump, or something else being a part of the problem. I am not surprised by the mice issue, however. At times, I don't use my Forester for weeks at a time. Even with my Mirage that I use almost daily, I had mice leaving nuts on both my engine air filter and cabin air filter in the past year.

I can't fault Subaru for an issue with mice chewing wires, & I must admit the Subaru dealership has been top notch. Being single, I appreciate the free loaner vehicles they provide. I just have to make sure it's filled with gas when I return it. That's my latest vehicle story I guess!

One more thing - I don't mind driving my Mirage long distances. An Impreza is nicer, but I don't feel it justifies the extra money to do basically the same job.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-07-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

One more thing - I don't mind driving my Mirage long distances. An Impreza is nicer, but I don't feel it justifies the extra money to do basically the same job.
    Great service there eh. Those field mice. How is the fuel economy of the Impreza over those 140 miles? Good to hear you got top-notch service.

The new Impreza is a really cool car. Not many cars with full-time all wheel drive. Not many cloth-seat, non leathered expensive cars I should say! I like the Impreza with the 5 speed manual and as few options as possible. I would not mind air conditioning.

There are worse cars than the Mirage long-distance yes. I count my blessings and what I have/worked for, it's just I find the Mirage too darn small. I don't even mind it, but I feel like other vehicles are out to get me lol. I have had a blister from the steering wheel before and cruise would have helped then. Happens almost every freeway trip to be honest.

For the amount I drive Mark I should keep what I have. I know my car's history, it's got low km's. I love the Mitsubishi Mirage Forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-07-2020)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the seats were better in my Mirage, I wouldn't be getting rid of it.

I bought a pillow, but now I sit too high. The seatback's lack of lumbar, gives me a backache after about 10 minutes. My hour-and-a-half drive last week was felt three days later. If I knew I could swap in Lancer/Outlander Sport seats, I'd keep it and sell our Yaris. But alas.

I don't have a problem with highway driving with it (sans the seats). It's quite fun to drive other than that blasted seat pain.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    If the seats were better in my Mirage, I wouldn't be getting rid of it.

I bought a pillow, but now I sit too high. The seatback's lack of lumbar, gives me a backache after about 10 minutes. My hour-and-a-half drive last week was felt three days later. If I knew I could swap in Lancer/Outlander Sport seats, I'd keep it and sell our Yaris. But alas.

I don't have a problem with highway driving with it (sans the seats). It's quite fun to drive other than that blasted seat pain.
    I do 4 hour drives to my parents quite often. I don't mind the seats in the Mirage at all. I don't find them to be uncomfortable at all.

You're not the only one that complains about them, however. Chad (from the UK) isn't crazy about the seats either.

I sort of remembering someone saying the seats of a Outlander Sport wouldn't work in a Mirage, but I could be wrong?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9
    Ride is better. I drove over 150 km's in my Mirage today, that's a lot for me, and you forget what it's like to sit so low driving with a tiny wheelbase.
    I think of the Mirage as sitting higher, a few inches anyway. If it wasn't for the touchy steering it would be a better highway car in my opinion, though the ride and quiet cabin are positives. Well soon enough mine will have another chance to grow on me.