Thread: 2015 Mirage died on the road...

2015 Mirage died on the road...

Just got a call that a 2015 Mirage died. Dash lit up and it started to sputter then it died... I checked the gps tracker deal online and it looks like the battery has been draining for the last hour at least. I'm wondering if the battery light was on during. I'm thinking it was and just went ignored because derpy derp derp.

So now I gotta go find it using crappy directions cause the battery died so much that the gps quit tracking altogether. Even it's built in battery died.

I haven't ran into this one yet, maybe the belt blew off. I'll post back later...

Oh, it's got 448,000kms..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (Yesterday),inuvik (04-25-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Take an alternator and a battery with you (if you can).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Long story short, it looks like the car was driven for a good hour and 20 mins with the bright red battery warning light illuminated. I don't have time to look at this right meow. I don't know if its the alternator(doubtful but maybe) or wiring. I haven't had one die like this before. Most people are bright enough to not drive around with a red warning light on so I guess I must have caught any other issues ahead of time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (Yesterday)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Long story short, it looks like the car was driven for a good hour and 20 mins with the bright red battery warning light illuminated. I don't have time to look at this right meow. I don't know if its the alternator(doubtful but maybe) or wiring. I haven't had one die like this before. Most people are bright enough to not drive around with a red warning light on so I guess I must have caught any other issues ahead of time.
    Aw well Einstein here drove around with the warning light RE: the brake system glowing BRIGHT for a few weeks. I knew, or hoped, it was on simply because the brake fluid level was low due to the pistons nearly being completely out of their bore because I was using the metal backing plate of the disc as my friction material. Ya, so stupid is as stupid does.

On a side note I did not expect the Mirage to have any sort of warning when the brake fluid level dropped. Or am I all wrong?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Aw well Einstein here drove around with the warning light RE: the brake system glowing BRIGHT for a few weeks. I knew, or hoped, it was on simply because the brake fluid level was low due to the pistons nearly being completely out of their bore because I was using the metal backing plate of the disc as my friction material. Ya, so stupid is as stupid does.

On a side note I did not expect the Mirage to have any sort of warning when the brake fluid level dropped. Or am I all wrong?
    I've had that happen with drivers as well. But they were driving around with a leaking wheel cylinder that puked out most of the fluid. They just thought it was an e-brake light... I've had a few cars where the brake pads(and probably shoes) wear down just enough to drop the fluid level to where the warning light flickers when you brake or corner. It's all good until it isn't.

I keep telling drivers that orange light is ok, red is bad. Like stranger danger. Some scream that the sky is falling if the engine light comes on but others couldn't care less if they have no brake fluid or alternator. It's hard to find the anyone in the middle lol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    And I bet you might have a couple people who are very sharp mechanically and they just shake their heads and walk away when the other drivers do something INCREDIBLY boneheaded
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    And I bet you might have a couple people who are very sharp mechanically and they just shake their heads and walk away when the other drivers do something INCREDIBLY boneheaded
    The ones that are sharp don't drive. Nobody knows everything, and I never expect a lot out of anyone. Most of the problems I see are with people that say they used to be a mechanic, their dad is/was a mechanic, their husband is a mechanic etc...They're the ones that make up problems like the engine is too shaky and stuff like that.

The people who don't pretend to know everything seem to have the most common sense, or what I refer to as uncommon sense.

I looked back in my records for this car that I had to tow away yesterday, this is the same person that brought the same car in to get a new windshield installed and casually mentioned that the brake light was one. This is one of the ones that had no brake fluid...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If one were to turn their rather large cell phone sideways to watch the latest Turdpails escapade, and set the phone up in the cluster shelf, pretty much everything but the 55-60 mph part of the speedo (the only part most folks pay attention to) is blocked from existence...

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (Yesterday)