Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My used Mirage review after 6 months and 4700 km / 2900 miles

Hey - or in 6 more years I could import a base 2013 Thai market Mirage that has no options and only 2 airbags!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Hey - or in 6 more years I could import a base 2013 Thai market Mirage that has no options and only 2 airbags!
    Power steering
    Power windows
    Power locks with remotes
    ABS
    HSA - hill assist start
    traction/stability control
    A/C
    Intermittent wipers
    Rear wiper
    Passenger side mirror
    Inside vanity mirror
    Air bags
    Radio/speakers/antenna
    Tachometer
    4-doors
    Plastic trim inside the doors
    Probably forgetting a few things???

My 1990 Ford Festiva didn't come with any of the above features, but my base level 2017 Mirage has all of them.

In 2020, you would add cruise, Bluetooth, backup cameras, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, and auto-climate controls to the list of missing features not found on a base level 1990 Ford Festiva (had 12" rusty steel wheels with no hubcaps).

If I were driving a 1990 Ford Festiva today, the only thing on that list I would miss would be the passenger side mirror and a stereo system. A/C is nice at times, but I could live without it. A/C zaps the power of these small engines. I am not overly impressed with adding a lot features on a cheap economy car.

By the way - I paid $5,300 for a brand new 1990 Ford Festiva, & it lasted way beyond the 14 years that I drove it. In my mind, a great economy car is affordable (even new), reliable, and economical to drive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-12-2020)

I didn't think I could live without ac, but it's not that bad. For the most part it's handy to cool off after the cars been sitting in the sun all day. I've only used it in my car in the winter time as needed. I had it installed in our house last year and since then we had maybe 2-3 days where it was even hot enough to bother turning it on. Guaranteed if we didn't have it we'd have a record hot summer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I didn't think I could live without ac, but it's not that bad. For the most part it's handy to cool off after the cars been sitting in the sun all day. I've only used it in my car in the winter time as needed. I had it installed in our house last year and since then we had maybe 2-3 days where it was even hot enough to bother turning it on. Guaranteed if we didn't have it we'd have a record hot summer.
    A/C does help clear a fogged up windshield faster, & there are times when it is nice to have.

Items like A/C & cruise are nice perks to have, & some things are just mandated now. Backup cameras & TPMS aren't going away now that we have them here at least.

In my case, my Mirage is not my only vehicle. If it's hot & I taking some friends somewhere, I have another vehicle to use. If a Mirage were my only vehicle, I could see wanting more features. That's also why different trim levels are offered.

My knock on all this - Since 2017 Mitsubishi has added more & more standard features to the base model & have done nothing to the upper trim levels (SE & GT). I don't see the point really? Take away sales from your upper trim levels? Seriously, from a marketing standpoint, it doesn't make sense to me?

Why does an economy car need 4 or 5 trim levels in the States, & why can't one of those trim levels be a more affordable base model? Adding features - the base Mirage is less & less appealing to me each year. Since 2017, they haven't added new features to this car. They just made more current features standard. For those who like the extra features of the upper trim levels, where's the appeal to them?

I like my Mirage a lot. I just think Mitsubishi could market this car in a better way.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I didn't think I could live without ac, but it's not that bad.
    I have no AC in my house, and no AC in my Mirage. That is kind of unusual nowadays.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have no AC in my house, and no AC in my Mirage. That is kind of unusual nowadays.
    No AC in my house either, but it rarely (very rarely) gets over 75F (24C) here on the Oregon Coast.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I set up the sprinkler for the kids to run through yesterday. It felt warmer than it was, a scorching 15 C / 59 F lol

It was nicer than last Sunday when it was snowing briefly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I set up the sprinkler for the kids to run through yesterday. It felt warmer than it was, a scorching 15 C / 59 F lol

It was nicer than last Sunday when it was snowing briefly.
    We've had 3 days of frost recently, & a few snowflakes in the air, too. Last weekend was bitterly cold for May. I had been doing some spring turkey hunting & it was quite cold heading out @ 4:30 am. I was dressed like a late season deer hunt in the late fall. ,

In Wisconsin, it's not unusual to go from having the furnace on to turning the central air on the following week, sometimes the following day.

Does being interested and talking about the weather make me an official member of the old man club?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does being interested and talking about the weather make me an official member of the old man club?
    You may be there! I'm way older than you, & I still relate well with my 7th graders in my classroom. I don't know what that says about me?

From a distance, I see you being "young at heart" even when you become an old fart like me! Growing up is way over-rated!!!!!