Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Please Help choosing between Mirage and Versa Note! (UPDATE: got a Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    Are we talking about the outer diameter? If so, it should be 23”. Disclaimer: I was out with my dog and didn’t bring a tape measure so I used the app on my phone. Not sure how accurate it is, but I did it 3 times so maybe 98% accurate?

I thought the tires looked different than the ones I’d seen prior. They’re not as thick. Is this a bad thing?
    No one is saying anything is bad. Just curious what size tires are on your car?

Tire sizes are stamped on the sidewall. 165/65r14 & 175/55r15 are factory tire sizes.

165 is the width in mm.
    65 is relate to the profile (aspect ratio) a 55 tire would be a lower profile than a 65 tire
    14 or 15 would be the rim size

Thus, your tires may be something like a 195/50r15. Just check the sidewall, & you will see what it is.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is the tire
    https://nankangusa.com/passenger-tir...ll-season-uhp/

It’s the 205/40R17 one. So I was right, 23”. Never heard of this brand before. I hope it’s good lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    This is the tire
    https://nankangusa.com/passenger-tir...ll-season-uhp/

It’s the 205/40R17 one. So I was right, 23”. Never heard of this brand before. I hope it’s good lol
    205/40r17 has an overall diameter of 23.5". That's about an inch taller than factory tires.

It's not a real popular tire size, but Walmart carries those for $50.44/tire.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nankang-N...Tire/710396888

Others have inquired about 17" tires at times. You'll have to share you opinion of them after some time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    For the seats, find a local junkyard with a 2017 up Mirage and buy the seats and swap them into your car. You'll be a lot happier than the basic DE seats... I couldn't stand them in my DE so I swapped them out in the first week or two of owning it. I got lucky and found a set from a low mileage wrecked GT so they have seat heaters, too.

Also, in my experience (and confirmed by two different Mitsu dealers to me on their experience) the cars with the automatic climate control have better air conditioner performance than the ones with the knobs. So you should be good there.
    Good idea! I’ll keep an eye out for junkyard seats. For now I’m gonna get the extra cushion and see if that will help. I definitely felt disappointed at the seats. Trust me, I’m not a fancy person and I wasn’t expecting luxury from this car, but to me these seats are like riding public transportation. They feel cheaper than the rest of the car, and I don’t think the car overall feels as cheap as many “experts” criticized.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Those tires look great I'd just be worried about potholes and overall mpg with wheels that big. I'd also check for tire rub and if the suspension has been altered in your service records. If everything works fine you have one of the coolest tire set ups on here. I put on 175 65 r14 with an aftermarket 14 x 5.5" wheel on my girl's G4 and her mpg performance has gone down some. I'm lucky know if I can avg 39 mpg city and 35 mpg highway doing 75 mph.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't noticed any rubbing yet, but to be honest I don't think I know what rubbing would sound or feel like. There was one time where I drove over a dip and didn't slow down fast enough, I heard something that could've been rubbing, though it could've been just normal sound when driving over a dip. The tires still look good as of now, but it's been only a week, so we'll see...

I took the car for a one-day road trip on Monday and overall was happy with the ride. There was one fairly steep incline that I was nervous to drive up. I had to throttle the car quite a bit and the engine started to become louder, which made me more nervous. However, it made it. The loud engine noise though made me feel like it's gonna blow up! Also, the more time I spend in the car, the more I notice where they cut cost in material quality. Still, the car overall doesn't feel as cheap as all profesional critics claimed. I'm happy with what I got for the price. In my area, a 2010 Corolla with over 100,000 miles costs about $6200-6500 on average before taxes and fees.

I took the car to AAMCO for a total inspection. Everything was checked out ok. They recommeded a transmission fluid change which I already considered doing so I went ahead with it. Cost $210 which included $45 Lubeguard that's supposed to help the engine run less hot (not sure if it's really true or just an add-on gimmick, but I did it anyway). Probably would be cheaper if I shop around, but I had a free coupon for the inspection (supposedly $85) so I decided to just do it there.

One more thing, I turned on the mpg screen yesterday and the number at first was 26.4 mpg. After some driving, the number went up to 30.2 mpg. I know my bigger tires and traffic in LA reduce mpg, but that number is still crazily low, especially when I see everyone on here getting over 50mpg. I think I'm getting at least around 33-35 mpg from my calculation. I read that I need to reset the trip in B screen to get accurate reading, so that might be why?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I haven't noticed any rubbing yet, but to be honest I don't think I know what rubbing would sound or feel like. There was one time where I drove over a dip and didn't slow down fast enough, I heard something that could've been rubbing, though it could've been just normal sound when driving over a dip. The tires still look good as of now, but it's been only a week, so we'll see...

I took the car for a one-day road trip on Monday and overall was happy with the ride. There was one fairly steep incline that I was nervous to drive up. I had to throttle the car quite a bit and the engine started to become louder, which made me more nervous. However, it made it. The loud engine noise though made me feel like it's gonna blow up! Also, the more time I spend in the car, the more I notice where they cut cost in material quality. Still, the car overall doesn't feel as cheap as all profesional critics claimed. I'm happy with what I got for the price. In my area, a 2010 Corolla with over 100,000 miles costs about $6200-6500 on average before taxes and fees.

I took the car to AAMCO for a total inspection. Everything was checked out ok. They recommeded a transmission fluid change which I already considered doing so I went ahead with it. Cost $210 which included $45 Lubeguard that's supposed to help the engine run less hot (not sure if it's really true or just an add-on gimmick, but I did it anyway). Probably would be cheaper if I shop around, but I had a free coupon for the inspection (supposedly $85) so I decided to just do it there.

One more thing, I turned on the mpg screen yesterday and the number at first was 26.4 mpg. After some driving, the number went up to 30.2 mpg. I know my bigger tires and traffic in LA reduce mpg, but that number is still crazily low, especially when I see everyone on here getting over 50mpg. I think I'm getting at least around 33-35 mpg from my calculation. I read that I need to reset the trip in B screen to get accurate reading, so that might be why?
    Because the mpg meter is wonky if your just doing short stops. Reset your B trip meter and divide the miles by gallons at the pump. Only accurate way. Glad you like the cholo wheels, they look good.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    ...that number is still crazily low, especially when I see everyone on here getting over 50mpg.
    I'm not sure where you're looking, but you can count on 1 hand the number of people who get 50mpg consistently in a Mirage.

Are you taking into account your taller-than-stock tires when calculating fuel economy? Your car is actually traveling further than your odometer is indicating. For example... Reset your trip odometer and drive 100 miles. Now add 4.5% to the number of miles. That's how many miles you really drove because your tires are that much taller than the original tires. You can't use the car's fuel economy display. You'll have to do it manually (don't forget to add 4.5% to the miles you drove).

I know my bigger tires...reduce mpg
    Your wheel and tire combination is not exactly ideal for fuel economy. Your tires weigh about 19 pounds and your wheels are probably around 18 pounds each. A 37 pound wheel/tire combo is pretty heavy for a Mirage...and those aren't low rolling resistance tires, either. Those wheels/tires are probably costing you a solid 3-5mpg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Because the mpg meter is wonky if your just doing short stops. Reset your B trip meter and divide the miles by gallons at the pump. Only accurate way. Glad you like the cholo wheels, they look good.
    Cholo wheels. Hah! Well, I wouldn’t say I like them. I’m in different about them in terms of performance. However, I’m concerned about possible rubbing and low mpg! I would switch them out, but that’d be expensive...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm not sure where you're looking, but you can count on 1 hand the number of people who get 50mpg consistently in a Mirage.

Are you taking into account your taller-than-stock tires when calculating fuel economy? Your car is actually traveling further than your odometer is indicating. For example... Reset your trip odometer and drive 100 miles. Now add 4.5% to the number of miles. That's how many miles you really drove because your tires are that much taller than the original tires. You can't use the car's fuel economy display. You'll have to do it manually (don't forget to add 4.5% to the miles you drove).

Your wheel and tire combination is not exactly ideal for fuel economy. Your tires weigh about 19 pounds and your wheels are probably around 18 pounds each. A 37 pound wheel/tire combo is pretty heavy for a Mirage...and those aren't low rolling resistance tires, either. Those wheels/tires are probably costing you a solid 3-5mpg.
    Good point about adding 4.5%. Now thinking about it, the odometer on the car probably is lower than actual mileage. When I got it, odo was 63,5000 but probably more like 66,500

With a heavy wheels/tires combo, do you think it significantly affects the transmission? From my understanding, the CVT in Mirage has less problems than Nissan because of the car’s lighter weight and lower horsepower.