Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help choosing between Mirage and Versa Note! (UPDATE: got a Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't know why anyone would need electric windows on a two-door? When I get to the point where I can't crank a window, I should probably stop driving. Replacing a broken electric window is costly & sucks. Of everything you mentioned, crank windows would be my last concern. Given a choice I would take crank windows on a two-door over electric. I hate having to turn the key on to put up the windows if the car parked outside & starts to rain or something. I am old school, however. Eggman reminds me of that quite often!
    To be clear, I didn't hate the crank windows I felt that the price should've been $6000 instead of $6500 if the car has crank windows... What do you think is a fair price for that car?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    To be clear, I didn't hate the crank windows I felt that the price should've been $6000 instead of $6500 if the car has crank windows... What do you think is a fair price for that car?
    2013 Yaris with only 30k miles for that price is fantastic. Too good to be true. I'm seeing listings for 2012 Yaris with 80k miles for $8500. Something is fishy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    It's a 7-year old car, but 35,000 mlles is low for that age vehicle. I think they are fair in asking $6,500 for that car if it is good shape.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did my research and yeah I agree it’s a pretty fair price. Of course I’ll take it to a mechanic before finalizing the sale. I guess I’m still hoping the Mirage would work out, but doesn’t seem like it is going to...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I did my research and yeah I agree it’s a pretty fair price. Of course I’ll take it to a mechanic before finalizing the sale. I guess I’m still hoping the Mirage would work out, but doesn’t seem like it is going to...
    So you live in LA and only have a budget for $6500 jeez what are you a doctor or something? lol Seriously dont understand how anyone can afford to live there unless they're filthy rich or heavily subsidized poor. Middle class is leaving California in droves.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    ...she is concerned that what if TRED doesn't pay her bank and I end up with the car while she still owes money on it.
    Wow... She doesn't have a clue...but what can you do if she doesn't understand.

I sold a car to Vroom and I'll have to admit...it sounds crazy when you first read the process. You agree to a Vroom price, you sign your title over to Vroom and send it (with one of the car keys) to them in an overnight letter. A couple of days later, a transport company picks up your car and alerts Vroom they have it. Within 24 hours, Vroom direct deposits the purchase price funds into your bank account.

But there's a short period of time during the Vroom process where you don't have your car, the title, or the money. But it's a great way to sell an expensive car in a short amount of time for a fair price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    So you live in LA and only have a budget for $6500 jeez what are you a doctor or something? lol Seriously dont understand how anyone can afford to live there unless they're filthy rich or heavily subsidized poor. Middle class is leaving California in droves.
    lol I’m no where near middle class and thankfully not subsidized poor. If I don’t live in LA I probably would have a higher budget than $6500 lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Wow... She doesn't have a clue...but what can you do if she doesn't understand.

I sold a car to Vroom and I'll have to admit...it sounds crazy when you first read the process. You agree to a Vroom price, you sign your title over to Vroom and send it (with one of the car keys) to them in an overnight letter. A couple of days later, a transport company picks up your car and alerts Vroom they have it. Within 24 hours, Vroom direct deposits the purchase price funds into your bank account.

But there's a short period of time during the Vroom process where you don't have your car, the title, or the money. But it's a great way to sell an expensive car in a short amount of time for a fair price.
    Yeah. I do understand her trepidation, but her situation is difficult and not like she can just have a normal sale on her own. I’m going to try one more attempt to make this work. She said if we meet and I pay her loan off with her bank, I can take the car with me and have the bank mail me the title (still with her name on it). Once I receive the title, we can meet again for her to sign it over to me. I was thinking I can put all this down into a written agreement that details everything and that we both sign if and each keeps a copy. Does anyone see anything wrong with this plan?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Yeah. I do understand her trepidation, but her situation is difficult and not like she can just have a normal sale on her own. I’m going to try one more attempt to make this work. She said if we meet and I pay her loan off with her bank, I can take the car with me and have the bank mail me the title (still with her name on it). Once I receive the title, we can meet again for her to sign it over to me. I was thinking I can put all this down into a written agreement that details everything and that we both sign if and each keeps a copy. Does anyone see anything wrong with this plan?
    Yeah she sounds shady as hell or stupid or both. I'd go Yaris.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Does anyone see anything wrong with this plan?
    I have a concern that you are bargaining on a motor vehicle that you haven't yet visited. It's a good starting point but there may be other condition issues that you won't notice until you see it in person (think other broken bits like brackets, headlight bucket.) I've been burned by this on an ebay purchase several states away. Wasted hopes and a weekend of driving.

From what I gather in this thread up to this point, you would be better off looking for another Mirage and she would be better off keeping it and paying down the loan.

On the other hand, if you have some tools, time and patience you have a chance at simply straightening out that dent yourself. The forum admin MetroMPG did something similar and flipped that Mirage on to it's next owner. But I don't get the impression that you are looking to put some sweat equity into this venture. Just an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I made up a some wee sheet metal brackets & splice plates, and screwed them into the plastic to hold the busted bits in place. Then I just gooped some epoxy over everything & shot it flat black.

It seemed to work just fine, if a bit ugly (but you can only really see the smaller, upper mount).
    ....annnnnnnnnnndd... since I already had the bumper and headlight off, I decided last evening to pull the FUBARed front quarter.

I wasn't planning to do any cosmetic work until spring, but it's warmed up to above freezing recently, so make hay while the sun shines? (It's actually kinda rainy...)

Wasn't too hard to remove, except I'm noticing the mounting brackets on this car are very lightweight and very prone to twisting/deforming when breaking bolts free (all 10 mm and plastic fasteners for this panel).

Panel beating adventure to come!
    Adventures in paintless dent removal...

I spent an hour or 2 on it, mostly using wooden kitchen utensils and my hands. The metal is so thin, it's pretty easy to work.

I made a couple of rookie mistakes along the lines of "I think I'll just lightly tap here with a hammer..." Bad idea! Never directly hit the panel!

It's not perfect (looks better in the pic than in real life) but I'm pleased with the results. Just have to put it all back together now.

Last edited by Eggman; 06-14-2020 at 09:51 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-17-2020)