Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Oops, I did it again! Bought another cheap Mirage "beater".

15" Civic wheels

Name:  civic-15-in-wheels.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  66.6 KB

I had these 15" Civic wheels in my junk pile. Was thinking they might be good to put some Prius tires on.

EDIT: tires currently on those wheels are 185/65R15

Upsides: lower rolling resistance (possibly/probably); slightly taller effective gearing; more funner.

I'll have to check out a gearing calculator to figure the RPM drop. I think it's around a hundred RPM at highway speeds? (EDIT: Nope, it's better than that. See a calcs, a couple of posts down...)

Downsides: heavier; slightly higher ride height (worse aero); wider (worse aero - somewhat mitigated by front air dam, and I'll add rear tire deflectors also)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-22-2021)

What size tires are those? They sure fill the wheel wells!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

They're 185/65 15's.

But the pic is a little deceptive - the wheels aren't actually ON the car - I just leaned them against the winter wheels and scooched down to get the right angle for the picture.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

185/65R15 = 8% lower RPM

I plugged the tire numbers into this tool: https://www.blocklayer.com/tire-size-calculator.aspx

And it tells me that change would reduce engine RPM (in all gears) by ~8%.

At 80 km/h (~50 mph), the engine is turning around 2250 RPM on the stock tires. Those Civic wheels & tires would drop it to ~2070 rippems!

The final drive swap I did to my Firefly dropped cruising RPM by 20% and increased steady state cruising fuel economy by about 5%.

So all else being equal (it's not), this might net me around 2% better MPG's.

Assuming I remember to slow down a bit because now the speedometer will be off (reading lower).

AND! It'd be way funner to drive because all that extra rubber would ground it to the ground!

Had me fooled, that'd explain the invisible lug nuts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    I've been running 185-60-15 tires since the late Fall. I don't have enough mileage data yet, but they dropped my freeway RPMs by about 200 and seem to be worth at least 1mpg. I will know for sure once we are into solid warm weather and the end of winter blended fuel. Running these tires is like having a car with a 5.5 speed transmission.

These tires don't rub...but...there are times where I can't even get a finger between the tire and the front fender liner when turning the wheels.

I don't have a picture of my car with these tires, but here's a Mirage with 185-60-15s...

Name:  1856015.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  94.1 KB

I say bolt those things on and see what happens!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

craigq (07-25-2021),MetroMPG (03-22-2021)

Thanks, Top_Fuel!

+1 MPG makes sense to me based on the gearing change.

The unknowns are the aerodynamic & rolling resistance changes. That's always a bit of a crapshoot changing wheels/tires.

I'm not sure how the offset on these Civic wheels compares to stock, but I'm probably going to throw them on today to check it out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Thanks, Top_Fuel!

+1 MPG makes sense to me based on the gearing change.

The unknowns are the aerodynamic & rolling resistance changes. That's always a bit of a crapshoot changing wheels/tires.

I'm not sure how the offset on these Civic wheels compares to stock, but I'm probably going to throw them on today to check it out.
    Top_Fuel quote -
    "I've been running 185-60-15 tires since the late Fall.
    These tires don't rub...but...there are times where I can't even get a finger between the tire and the front fender liner when turning the wheels."

175/55r15 (22.6") - 15" factory size
    185/55r15 (23") - common alternative (+1.8% variance)
    185/60r15 (23.7") - (+4.9% variance)
    185/65r15 (24.5") - (+8.4% variance)

Just stating the differences for anyone reading this thread.

If Top Fuel's 185/60r15 tires are that tight when turning the wheels, I would test one 185/65r15 tire for clearance before mounting all four on the car.

I doubt 185/65r15 tires will improve your economy over stock size tires, and it will surely make your speedometer/odometer readings be off. The possibility of damage under the car when hitting bumps would be my biggest concern, however. It doesn't take much to bottom out a Mirage, & I would rather it bottom out without the wheels damaging the underside of my car. I know that I am stating the obvious, but that's a big tire for a small Mirage.

Some of what I stated is just a hypothesis on my part that someone else can test out. You'll have to let us know how it goes!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-22-2021)

I doubt 185/65r15 tires will improve your economy over stock size tires
    Why wouldn't reducing cruising RPM improve fuel economy?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Why wouldn't reducing cruising RPM improve fuel economy?
    Larger, heavier, wider tires may take their toll? Depends on what sort of driving you do I guess. If you do long trips often, maybe it will help? Can't imagine it would help city traffic (lots of stops/starts) driving?

It's all a hypothesis on my part, & I am stating that up front. A hypothesis is meant to be tested/proven wrong or right. Either way you come away with new knowledge.

If large tires give you an increased in mpg rating, it may be worth the downfalls of speedometer/odometer being off & possible rubbing issues.

Why aren't CVT Mirages (running at lower RPMs @ highway speeds) not blowing away the manuals models in the mpg department? I've been following this forum for 4 years, & I have never once seen anything that shows a CVT is superior in economy. Yet, in theory a CVT is stated to as being better. Better fuel economy is the justification companies use to put these things in cars.

I know lots of factors go into this. Tires, fuel blends, wind/weather, driving style, load in car, etc.... are all factors. Comparing apples to apples is nearly impossible.

Can a person take a long trip with one set of tires, & replicate that same trip with a different set of tires? Most likely not, because weather/wind alone would most likely be different (plus traffic & anything else).

I am just speculating tires that large & heavy may not improve your economy. I will not be hurt if you prove me wrong at all. I've been wrong before on stuff!