Thread: 165/65r14 Tire Discussion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Would like to see a SWAG from you guys. All else being equal, how many more mpgs do you guess the Enasaves provide?

I'm thinking about it on a "average." Meaning, the website here says I'm averaging 42.6 mpg. If I were to magically switch to Kuhmos (for example), what would my new average be? 41.6 mpg? 40.6 mpg? 39.6 mpg?

I ask because I have only a guess. And my guess would be I would lose 2 mpg at most. But that's just a guess.

Would anyone care to guess, or state their observations?
    I haven't owned 4 identical tires for my Mirage since I lost Dunlop to a sidewall failure at 15,000 miles in 2018. Thus, I can't give you a real honest answer, because I am running two different pairs of tires all the time. I don't see that changing in the next 3+ years either.

I tend to run my Dunlop & Federal pairs together @ 40 psi. At that tire pressure I highly doubt there would be any difference, especially with both pairs being so worn down. I wouldn't doubt a new Dunlop may roll easier than a new Federal, Nexen, or Kumho tire, but tire pressure may be a factor to a point. I haven't seen a study showing over inflating does anything to improve fuel economy. So I don't see the need to go above recommendations on tire sidewalls, but I do ignore recommendations on car door stickers. Not saying that's best practice. I just like more air verses not enough air.

There's some science that proves/shows a wider tire will have less rolling resistance than a skinner tires, too. Bike tires for the Tour de France have gotten wider in recent years for that very reason. Without using pics - a wide short patch on the road may have less rolling resistance than a long narrow patch on the road surface. This would account for Top Fuel''s great economy numbers with wider 15" LRR tires. Along with LRR, bikers are getting a smoother ride from a slightly wider tire. I am not supporting these claims here, but anyone can check this for themselves.

I value the skinny tire, because I just know it's superior in snow. Especially, when climbing hills. I also like the tiny Mirage tires. It's part of the car's charm. Then again, I drove a car with 12" tires for 14 years, too.

I do think the Mirage should come with 175/65r14 & 185/55r15 factory tires, because these two sizes are an identical 23" in diameter. They are very common sizes, & almost all tire brands carry them!

If money is not an issue & you don't care how often you need to replace tires, 165/65r14 Dunlop & Bridgestone tires are the way to go. If you want more life out of your tire @ a much better price, I really feel Federal, Nexen, & Kumho are a good place to start. It's too bad the new Falken tire has a lower rating. Otherwise, I would include it in the mix, too. I am just glad we have a few more choices now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-10-2021)