Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: THINKING of buying. Go for- A manual or an automatic??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    People here pretty universally choose the manual, and if you can drive one, it will likely be more engaging to drive and more reliable in the long run. They are also usually cheaper.

I've never driven a manual vehicle, though, and was able to pick up a CVT model for the same price as a manual, new. Some things to point out about the CVT:

1. Comments and reports that I've seen from owners here on the forums peg the CVT as good for ~150K miles on average. There will be some variance for driving style and maintenance, of course. I haven't seen anything about failed manuals. My Mirage was ~$9.5K after fees, tax, and registration, so for that price I'm pretty happy with getting 150K miles out of it.

2. This engine is pretty wimpy, so having the CVT probably has a large impact on performance. While there is much less loss of power to the drivetrain with a manual transmission, the huge benefit of the CVT is that it can simply pin your engine at whatever RPM is most efficient for what you want. The default "D" mode on the Mirage keeps the engine at around 1500RPM most of the time, only spooling up under acceleration, so it's pretty sluggish. However, there is a "D+" mode that keeps your revs higher normally, and will just pin your engine in the power band (somewhere between 4000 and 5000RPM?) whenever you put your foot down. I would be interested to see which ends up with a slower car - losses from CVT or losses from shifting/being outside the optimal power band in a manual.

3. Contrary to what was said earlier in the thread, there is also the "L" setting that is (laughably) present for towing, but is actually more useful for downhill engine breaking. In that mode, it will hold your car back with the engine, keeping it somewhere up between 6000 and 7000RPM when going downhill. How. Why you would want to do this is beyond me, though (which is easier to replace, brake pads, or your engine/transmission?).

4. CVT models are easier to add OEM cruise control to. Literally just plugging some buttons in on the steering wheel.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I'm still here. Still driving my VW. Still like the Mirage. I haven't driven one yet. Question, how much off MSRP will dealers go? Thanks
    Well at least with a VW your already used to pricey OEM parts like Mitsu.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    People here pretty universally choose the manual, and if you can drive one, it will likely be more engaging to drive and more reliable in the long run. They are also usually cheaper.

I've never driven a manual vehicle, though, and was able to pick up a CVT model for the same price as a manual, new. Some things to point out about the CVT:

1. Comments and reports that I've seen from owners here on the forums peg the CVT as good for ~150K miles on average. There will be some variance for driving style and maintenance, of course. I haven't seen anything about failed manuals. My Mirage was ~$9.5K after fees, tax, and registration, so for that price I'm pretty happy with getting 150K miles out of it.

2. This engine is pretty wimpy, so having the CVT probably has a large impact on performance. While there is much less loss of power to the drivetrain with a manual transmission, the huge benefit of the CVT is that it can simply pin your engine at whatever RPM is most efficient for what you want. The default "D" mode on the Mirage keeps the engine at around 1500RPM most of the time, only spooling up under acceleration, so it's pretty sluggish. However, there is a "D+" mode that keeps your revs higher normally, and will just pin your engine in the power band (somewhere between 4000 and 5000RPM?) whenever you put your foot down. I would be interested to see which ends up with a slower car - losses from CVT or losses from shifting/being outside the optimal power band in a manual.

3. Contrary to what was said earlier in the thread, there is also the "L" setting that is (laughably) present for towing, but is actually more useful for downhill engine breaking. In that mode, it will hold your car back with the engine, keeping it somewhere up between 6000 and 7000RPM when going downhill. How. Why you would want to do this is beyond me, though (which is easier to replace, brake pads, or your engine/transmission?).

4. CVT models are easier to add OEM cruise control to. Literally just plugging some buttons in on the steering wheel.
    Id say between 175 to 200k miles according to Fummins data though. 150k seems kinda of low for MOST cvt owners.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I bet a 2020 Mirage in manual would outlast a 2020 Corolla with its AISIN CVT.
    I'm a big Toyota fan. I even did design work for them. Toyota builds very high quality. However, in this case, I do agree that the manual transmission in the Mirage would outlast the CVT in the Corolla. This is assuming the manual transmission is driven by someone who is fluent with manuals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Consider though: the Corolla's CVT is fairly unique as far as CVT's go: it has a physical first gear on a torque converter, like a conventional slushbox. After taking off from a stop, it shifts to the continuously variable pulley mechanism. It's a kind of hybrid transmission.

That might have an impact on longevity compared to a CVT with only a belt + variable pulleys.

(Also, it makes the car feel more "normal" to drivers who pay attention to what their engine/transmission is doing.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Consider though: the Corolla's CVT is fairly unique as far as CVT's go: it has a physical first gear on a torque converter, like a conventional slushbox. After taking off from a stop, it shifts to the continuously variable pulley mechanism. It's a kind of hybrid transmission.

That might have an impact on longevity compared to a CVT with only a belt + variable pulleys.

(Also, it makes the car feel more "normal" to drivers who pay attention to what their engine/transmission is doing.)
    Isn't the CVT7 considered a hybrid too though with its high and low gear? I'm thrilled the Mirage doesn't have fake shift points like Nissans.

I'd say not, because it's always belt/pulley driven. It just has 2 ranges.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Or a 1.0L Engine in the Mirage with a taller gearing for even better fuel economy
    That can be found overseas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That can be found overseas.
    As soon as l get my college degree...England here l come Manuals all day baby!
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    As soon as l get my college degree...England here l come Manuals all day baby!
    If I was in England, Id get a Ford Fiesta in manual. I think thats one of the best selling cars over there because of its reliability.