Thread: Annoyed: "Only" 48 mpg today

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Annoyed: "Only" 48 mpg today

Took the Mirage out to run some errands today. First stop was at a friend's house to pick up some stuff, about a 45-minute drive. Mostly back roads, lots of 45 mph cruising. I wasn't "hard" hypermiling, just kinda chilling. Saw about 49 mpg on the trip there, and it dipped down to about 47.5 getting past his gate security and through his neighborhood. Not bad.

Of course, this inspired me to try to get 55 or so on the way home. So, I reset and started trying. But, getting out of his neighborhood requires driving on a 6-lane road where the speed limit is 55, traffic flow is 65... and I needed to get all the way into the left lane to make a left turn. That set me back to 45 mpg right from the start, and I was chasing my tail for the rest of the trip.

Traffic didn't get any better, and I kept getting bit by momentum-killing traffic lights (unfortunate timing, no time to coast). By the time I got to the grocery store, I was up to 49 again. Lost a bit in the parking lot, and by the time I got home, I was around 48.

Only a hypermiler in a Mirage would complain about getting 48 mpg running around town. But, here we are!

Still, I find the car impressive. Great MPG, and fun to scoot around in. I keep threatening to sell it, but part of me just wants to keep it.
    Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-17-2020),Top_Fuel (09-16-2020)