Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketcase :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Basketcase
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Blue
    Manual

This car has been through absolute hell. Ruthless abuse and neglect. I saved it from being murdered by it's owner (who wanted to literally blow it up with tannerite) and my plan is to turn it into a "micro" work van.

Details

A bit rough. The tailgate and rear bumper were damaged from an atv pushing it out of a mud hole. I was able to get most of the dents and damage out of the tailgate. Rear bumper I used a heat gun and applied pressure to help reform it and that worked great. Applied truck bed coating to the upper surface of the back bumper to hide scratches and prevent further damage. Front bumper replaced with new aftermarket unit and just left the black color it came... Makes it easy for me to identify the car hahaha. Also added a Curt trailer hitch so I can carry my cargo basket thing for extra room for parts.

Front seats replaced with 15 ES seats that I added a seat heater kit to the driver side. Weather tech floor liners of course. Rear seats are removed and I will be making grates for the rear door and back window. Also will be making a divider cage to keep cargo from flying forward. Have to figure out what to do to make a nice flat loading floor for parts...

•  

Stock CD player was removed. In it's place is the OEM navigation system from a 2015 ES and I also bought a cheap Chinese backup camera so I can easily see behind me. I also added a tray table so I can eat lunch on the passenger side since restaurants are closed.

•  

Stock drivetrain with 5 speed manual transmission. I replaced the transmission and shifter cables with 7000 mile units out of a wrecked 2017 and a new clutch since it was trashed.

•  

Eventually will equip with Daox rear sway bar, and Beetle springs for larger load capacity.

•  

Rolling on a set of factory 17+ SE alloy wheels with stock size tires.

•  
    Comments: 120 / Views: 68455
    Not another broken one?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nope. Just promises of a trans being delivered Tuesday afternoon, then evening, then Wednesday morning, then afternoon, then evening, and then nothing lol. I called this morning and asked for a refund. Told by the guy he has to talk to the boss and will call me back. They won't call back... I filed a dispute with the credit card company. This is rediculous.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

And I thought I was impatient lol. I'd be annoyed too. That sounds pretty typical to me for some of the yards around here. Especially right after payday, you never know who's gonna show up for work and who went on a bender and poured themselves a holiday.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I went there and they refunded me immediately. Then I went for some good tacos so the trip wasn't just for that. At any rate, I ordered another one... A 7000 mile transmission from a yard that's up by Green Bay, Wisconsin. Was $350 so not much more... But it won't be ready for a week.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    More cleaning. I used my extra crappy Bissell thing and scrubbed down the carpeting, wiped down the dash and other surfaces again with more chemicals, and replaced the nasty driver seat with the stock seat from my black 15 DE that I have the stock seats for in my shed. While the driver seat was out I shampooed the whole driver side of the car. I also shampooed the passenger side but didn't do under the seat since the seat wasn't removed... I know, I got lazy. I'll shampoo it when I finally replace the seats with something better than those god awful DE seats. Yuck!

Name:  shampooing driver floor.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  99.3 KB
    Name:  extra clean dash.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  89.2 KB
    Name:  extra clean driver side.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  91.7 KB
    Name:  extra clean pass side.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  97.8 KB

And the proper place for the old seats from the car... (minus the passenger seat since it was easy to clean and still in good shape)
    Name:  crap seats in trash.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  101.2 KB

I had the engine running for two and a half hours with it just sitting there idling with the heat cranked all the way up. Man, the heater in the thing makes it sauna hot in there after you leave it running for a while like that! No overheating, no oil leaks from the engine, no issues, so that's good. I also got the new bumper clip retainers today from the local dealer that I ordered. Once I get the transmission fixed I'll order a headlight, bumper cover, a/c line, and then go through all the rest of the mechanicals on the car that need to be done like the brakes (which I have for it already) and some fluid changes. Then... FINALLY... the fun stuff.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-06-2020),inuvik (11-06-2020),MetroMPG (11-06-2020)

Looking good!

I know you know this, but posting just FYI for others:

If you remove a seat, don't turn the ignition on or the computer will set a code for the airbag system (because of the side impact bag in the seat), which is not clearable with an OBD-II reader.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Little bits of progress today. Was my wife's birthday so I didn't spent much time with the cars.

Passenger door had a large dent from being kicked... Ugh.
    Name:  Dented Pass Door.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  96.2 KB

Took the panel off and did some ghetto PDR to pop it out as best as I can. Not perfect but way better than it was.
    Name:  Less Dented Pass Door.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  88.9 KB

Finally, hooked a tow strap to the front core support where it was bent in on both sides and then wore the tow rope like a belt and used some grunt OX power to pull the core support back where it's supposed to be.
    Name:  Core support pulled out.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  88.6 KB

Finally, ordered a new headlight for the car so that'll be here soon so then I can replace that since the tab is broken off that holds it to the fender.

Hopefully my slow progress on this poor car isn't too annoying haha.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Calling the previous owners pigs would be flattering to them and insulting to animals.
    Can be pretty hard to accept there actually are such anti-social slobs without the least common sense and a total disregard for the just about everything that counts in life.

I know very well what you are going through with a car like that! I never had much money, so I bought a few similar looking problem cars years ago. One was especially nasty. It was driven by a pipe smoker, and probably with the ventilation off. Everything was covered with dark brown tar from smoking, and what a stench it was. The seats had to be removed and repeatedly scrubbed with a floor-rag, several bottles of houshold cleaner, and countless buckets of water. They took a week or so to dry, but even then still smelled like smoke and were cleaned again the same way. You should have seen the brown brew seeping out of them that the houshold cleaner dissolved. Simply revolting. The carpets were done the same way, the seatbelts, door and ceiling coverings, totally everything. In the end everything was physically taken out of the car, the naked shell cleaned, and each and every item cleaned before it was put back inside. Even then, although it looked clean, the smell never was gone.

Btw, a good solvent for removing smoke tar is some (not too much!) ammonia in a bucket of tap water. You need to use gloves, glasses for eye protection, and a fan for fresh air.

If all thats wrong with the transmission is the synchro rings, you could keep it and just swap the brass synchros. It is not that much work really, but you have to do it properly with care and stick to the FSM.
    Last edited by foama; 11-08-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Calling the previous owners pigs would be flattering to them and insulting to animals.
    Can be pretty hard to accept there actually are such anti-social slobs without the least common sense and a total disregard for the just about everything that counts in life.
    Oh my goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I know very well what you are going through with a car like that! I never had much money, so I bought a few similar looking problem cars years ago. One was especially nasty. It was driven by a pipe smoker, and probably with the ventilation off. Everything was covered with dark brown tar from smoking, and what a stench it was. The seats had to be removed and repeatedly scrubbed with a floor-rag, several bottles of houshold cleaner, and countless buckets of water. They took a week or so to dry, but even then still smelled like smoke and were cleaned again the same way. You should have seen the brown brew seeping out of them that the houshold cleaner dissolved. Simply revolting. The carpets were done the same way, the seatbelts, door and ceiling coverings, totally everything. In the end everything was physically taken out of the car, the naked shell cleaned, and each and every item cleaned before it was put back inside. Even then, although it looked clean, the smell never was gone.

Btw, a good solvent for removing smoke tar is some (not too much!) ammonia in a bucket of tap water. You need to use gloves, glasses for eye protection, and a fan for fresh air.
    A couple years ago I took a older car to a cheap repair shop to have its muffler fixed. Couldn't beat the price but the car had that funny smell to it of body odor & cigarettes. That didn't last long but what was funny was it brought back old childhood memories of a shop that my dad would take his cars to - same smell.

Lesson learned - don't take your luxury Audi there for work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)