Thread: $13 stitched steering wheel cover (pictures and results)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

$13 stitched steering wheel cover (pictures and results)

It took me about 2 hours (due to my own incompetence) and I broke the 2 needles that came with the kit and had to go to local Walmart to buy a 5 pack of similar needles for $1.25 (best to buy those first before you begin)

But I am satisfied with the results (You will get better results if you have better hand dexterity than I do). $13 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/BELINOUS-Leat...-6467620?psc=1

You want size M4 black

What do you think, guys? It feels good on the hand and I noticed my steering wheel was starting to disintegrate and flake off. I did this to protect the original steering wheel for when I sell the car. The grip feels better than the original steering wheel did before. There are good tutorials on YouTube just search for "stitched steering wheel cover"

Use a dental pick or a large paper clip to tighten up each section before going to next section. You use the dental pick or tool to pull out some slack and then use your own fingers to make it tight as fack.....much tighter than you think you need it. The string is very strong, it can tolerate much tension. But the needles it comes with are too flimsy so buy replacement needles ahead of time.

I repeat, pull the string TIGHTER than a mofo

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-02-2020),daleWV (11-01-2020),dspace9 (11-01-2020),Eggman (11-01-2020),Mark (11-01-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's a good upgrade. Personally, I want one of the removable carpet-y steering wheel covers. My ES steering wheel is cold in the winter, gives me blisters in the summer if I have to travel anywhere far like on the freeway. Somehow I feel cruise control would have helped in that department.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Looks good.

Why did you go with that model?

Do you suppose it might interfere with steering wheel switches?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post

It took me about 2 hours (due to my own incompetence) and I broke the 2 needles that came with the kit and had to go to local Walmart to buy a 5 pack of similar needles for $1.25 (best to buy those first before you begin)

But I am satisfied with the results (You will get better results if you have better hand dexterity than I do). $13 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/BELINOUS-Leat...-6467620?psc=1
    That looks really good! With my sewing skills it may take an extra hour or two for me!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Looks good.

Why did you go with that model?

Do you suppose it might interfere with steering wheel switches?
    I went with this model due to the good reviews and the cheap price. It wont interfere with the steering wheel buttons/switches because the part that goes over the Spokes is only stitched on the front (no stiches on the back), that part is just for looks. On the spokes you are only stiching the front thru itself and the rear of the cover hangs loose.

But if anyone has buttons on their steering wheel then they are a richer man than I (than I am willing to spend since I bought the base model)
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A little puckery around the spokes, but not bad. For $14... not bad at all!

Simplify and add lightness.