Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage getting a new competitor in Canada: 2015 Nissan Micra

No MPG rating yet. But it has the same drivetrain as the Versa sedan (5MT/4AT), with less weight. So expect slightly better mileage in the city and on the highway.

No AC in the base model. Comes with a block heater though.

Feature list: http://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/c...icra-press-kit

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

grsupercity (02-13-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    http://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/c...real-auto-show

They seem to stress that it is a car purely for Canada with no plans to bring it to the U.S.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Yup. Nissan USA has been pretty emphatic that it's not coming to the U.S.

Which makes you wonder about the Micra-under-camo that Mikhail saw in L.A. recently. Warm weather testing of the Canadian version?

It's very rare that we get a car you guys don't. The only recent examples I can think of: the 1st generation diesel powered Smart Fortwo and the Chevrolet Orlando.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Warm weather testing of the Canadian version?
    I also tried to compare the rear spoiler of the car on my picture with the car on Mexican Nissan page and and didn't see the difference. It also came to my mind that the reason they testing is what you said in your comment (quote above).

I'll try my best to look out for that car again to spot whom the licence plate belong to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikhail For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-15-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think this might be an excellent move by Nissan. I am no marketing expert, but I have a soft-spot for some of the "first" vehicles I have owned. Getting new buyers in to the dealerships, presuming they have a good experience, might build customers for life. The last time we saw cars this cheap might have been the early Hyundai Accents?

Also - 4 speed auto? I am surprised they didn't go with the CVT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

I'm surprised too. In fact, in some markets the March/Micra uses the same CVT as the Mirage. The Versa sedan has 3 trans choices: 5MT, 4AT & CVT (in order of expense).

The only reason they're avoiding the CVT must be cost. (Also, an old school slushbox is going to make reviewers happier than the CVT, as will the smoother, more powerful, less efficient engine. Also, I bet the Micra will handle better - front AND rear stablizer bars, wider tires for example.)

I think Nissan is going to decimate the competition with this move.

I love the engineered efficiency in the Mitsu, but when you're talking about a difference of maybe 0.5 or 1.0 L/100 km between the cars (rough guess), that's not going to sway anyone to fork over $2500 extra for a Mirage.

Can Mitsu afford to chop $2k from their MSRP? Will they even try? It's going to be VERY interesting to see how the competition reacts to this.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I think Nissan is going to decimate the competition with this move.

I love the engineered efficiency in the Mitsu, but when you're talking about a difference of maybe 0.5 or 1.0 L/100 km between the cars (rough guess), that's not going to sway anyone to fork over $2500 extra for a Mirage.

Can Mitsu afford to chop $2k from their MSRP? Will they even try? It's going to be VERY interesting to see how the competition reacts to this.
    It is possible. Just to play devil's advocate, though, the Mirage has the following in its favour:
    10 year warranty
    0% financing for 4 years (worth about $1300 in interest if you have zero down payment), $500 prepaid Mastercard, $500 trade-in bonus.
    Let's assume 1l/100km differenceX20 000 km/year = 200l/year so in five years the Mirage saves 1000l or perhaps $1150 more (double that if you keep the vehicle 10 years).
    It is the most fuel efficient - like the most HP in a muscle car, or towing/payload in a truck, I think buyers in this class might enjoy the idea of the best efficiency (although they might also like the cheapest price).

In any case, I am glad we have more choices of this type.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Good points, and I agree with them. Discounts can get the Mirage's price closer to the Micra's, and the fuel savings will likely make up the difference.

But it's all about MSRP from a marketing perspective, and the sub-$10k base price is marketing gold. Nissan is going to get a TON of free advertising on that point. They probably also have much deeper pockets and more dealers to get the word out, as well.

I'm already seeing breathless articles & blog posts calling the Micra one of the "most significant vehicles" at the Toronto Auto Show (opened Thursday). Press excitement the likes of which we never saw for the Mirage.

Also, I bet the reviewers are going to hand Nissan the "win" in any comparison with the Mirage. It's definitely an uphill fight!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Also, I bet the reviewers are going to hand Nissan the "win" in any comparison with the Mirage. It's definitely an uphill fight!
    I fully agree. Reviewers always like more power, and the Nissan has sway bars front and back.

This isn't really fair, as the Micra in question has a 1.2, but here is a comparison from down under: http://news.drive.com.au/drive/new-c...301-2f9qq.html

My hope is that the Micra's availability will make the Mitsubishi Dealer give me an even better price when the time comes to buy!

That's the spirit!

I still prefer the Mirage. But I also really like the idea of a $10k car.