Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cruise control questions

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

cruise control questions

i have a few questions about cruise control, ive never owned a car that had it so bare with me.

1. what's the minimum speed needed to activate cruise control?

2. how do you know what speed cruise is set to if it doesnt have a display?

3. can cruise control activate the friction brakes? i.e if the car goes down a hill will it brake or will i end up going really fast?

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    i have a few questions about cruise control, ive never owned a car that had it so bare with me.

3. can cruise control activate the friction brakes? i.e if the car goes down a hill will it brake or will i end up going really fast?
    1 40km/h

2 it follows the speed of the car when you press the button

3 no way, it just operates the throttle, no way does this car have adaptive cruise control

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    3 no way, it just operates the throttle, no way does this car have adaptive cruise control
    So if you go down a steep hill with cruise on what happens?

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    if its a steep hill you will gain speed, once you reach the end of the hill and your speed drops, the cruise control will start maintaining your set speed again (after a bit of a delay)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    If you're going up a steep uphill gradient on the highway, I really recommend also pushing the throttle with your CC on. It really helps prevent the rpms from kicking up violently.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought the CVT has automatic overdrive which should increase gear in order to maintain the targeted speed, no?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post

Quote - "The primary purpose of cruise control is to enable you to maintain a minimum speed of 25 mph or greater without holding down the accelerator. When to NOT use your cruise control: Cruise control can be dangerous when you CANNOT drive safely at a steady speed."

Very seldom do I find a situation where I could use cruise control @ 25 mph. Someone like Darin trying to get 70+ mpg out of a tank of gas on some back roads might, however.

Most cruise controls systems have a set button (-), resume button (+), & cancel button. Any touch of the brakes will also cancel cruise. If you drive a manual, the clutch or brake will cancel it.

I teach how to uses cruise control to all of my driving students. Some instructors frown upon that, but I would rather teach a new student the proper workings of it during a later lesson.

Set button (-): will set cruise control at whatever current speed you are at. Holding the button down will also reduce the set speed until you let it go again. Thus, the minus symbol on the button.

Resume button (+): Let's say you hit the brakes to slow down behind a farmer's tractor on the road. Once you pass them, you could hit the resume button, & your car will go back to its last speed setting (resume your former speed). Holding this button down will also increase the set speed until you let it go again.

Cancel button: Cancels cruise.

You can go back to your resume setting (resume button) or set your cruise to a new speed with the set button after canceling cruise with the cancel button or brake pedal. Turning the car off usually requires you to start over. No former speed will stored.

The engine will still brake to some degree going down hills. I live in a hilly area. I tell my students to let the engine do what it can, but it may require the slight used of brakes by your foot, which would disable cruise. If that's the case, just hit the resume button once you reach near the bottom of the hill.

All cars with factory cruise have some type of dash light or indicator that the vehicle is in cruise.

Adaptive cruise is a system that automatically adapts to the speed of the vehicle ahead of you. If I was driving in that situation, I would not have my students use that type of cruise. They need to learn to maintain a safe following distance. Allowing safety features to do that for drivers is not a practice I can support. I have serious concerns about safety features being put on vehicle these days. I know some members may love them, but it really scares me that people embrace that stuff.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    I thought the CVT has automatic overdrive which should increase gear in order to maintain the targeted speed, no?
    my experience has been that the cvt will sometimes hold its ratio going down hills instead of changing ratios (shifting up), this results engine braking (increase rpm), if you tap the accelerator it disables it (shifts up), the car does have rate of climb/decent sensors

however in cruise control ive never noticed it doing this, ive really only ever noticed it when coasting down a hill, not touching the accelerator at all

the only cars that ive seen do this is ones with adaptive cruise control (the ones that follow the car ahead), which as far as im aware are the only type that interact with the braking system, or by making changes to the transmission on the fly, i DO like cruise control using the brakes on hill decents, i DONT like cruise following the car infront, UNFORTUNATELY you often cant differentiate between these two features, if i come up behind someone on the road and they are going under the cruise speed id rather overtake them than be stuck behind whatever speed their doing

in this country we have long stretches of 25kmh for "roadworks" i really cant understand why there is any lower limit for cruise engagement at all and it pisses me off, same with having to turn the cruise on everytime before you use it

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cruise control is outstanding for :
    1. School zones
    2. Speed trap stretches. Drives me nuts to manually control such slow paces when I JUST KNOW it is to gain more revenue!
    3. Leading a gaggle of cars, bikes or combinations to a destination in wilderness highway settings. Does better at consistent speed to avoid the "slinky effect" of formation lead constantly changing speed.
    Karl

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    with my experience it will exceed the set speed then eventually slows down to achieved the set speed once the road becomes stable, with the unit equipped with adoptive cruise control like the montero sports it can actuate the brake to not exceed with the set speed.