Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kumho Solus all weathers, so tricky to find at a store store

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I do only want one set of tires, which is making this whole thing more complicated. Right now I can get Pirelli or Nordman winters (dedicated winters) at my local Kal tire. I will ask them if they can order in all-weathers. I really want all weathers for the simplicity of one new set of tires. Then I won't have to worry about tires for a while.

Kaltire doesn't make as much money with the all weathers since people aren't coming in swapping tires twice a year. Plus all weather is a new thing I think.
    I don't live near a tire only type shop. Local mechanic shops sell/install tires. Since they don't carry much inventory, they are happy to order exactly what you want.

The joy (seen as a negative for some) is the lack of 165/65r14 options for us. You have more tire options than we do, & that is why some go to 175/65r14 tires here.

If 165/65r14 wasn't an odd size, I'd just buy Cooper tires. I don't even look at anything else. Cooper tires have served me well for decades.

Speaking for myself -

If I wanted dedicated snow tires, I am experimenting with the new Federal snow tire next.

If I wanted an all-weather tires, Vredestein is my choice.

If I am buying all-season tires, I may stick with Federal or Nexen for now. I don't think the Federal tires last any longer than the 165/65r14 Dunlop or Bridgestone tires, but they are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. I am interested to see how my new Nexen (50,000 mile warranty tires) do over time? They are on the rear this winter with my Nordman 7 up front.

I suspect the Vredestein will wear like the Dunlop, Bridgestone, & Federal tires. I wouldn't expect long life out of any of these tires (40,000 miles or under). This is why Top Fuel makes a good argument for more expensive tires that he gets 80,000 miles out of. A worn down tire doesn't get me home some days. That's why I look at this differently.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I suspect the Vredestein will wear like the Dunlop, Bridgestone, & Federal tires. I wouldn't expect long life out of any of these tires (40,000 miles or under). This is why Top Fuel makes a good argument for more expensive tires that he gets 80,000 miles out of. A worn down tire doesn't get me home some days. That's why I look at this differently.
    I find it weird I can't find local dealers by using "Find Your Location" for both Kumho and Vredestein Canada's websites.

You would think there would be someone out there selling these tires. I just feel like I've been cheaping out with my Mirage for 7 years no winter tires. Maybe I should smarten up. I'd like to get what I want. I wonder if Hankook are any good. My friend said Kaltire was rough on his Traverese. Not sure if he has kept that vehicle in good shape though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Those Vredestein Quatracs look pretty sweet. They've been an attractive option for some time now:

Tire Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Tire comparison of current tire offerings for 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage 165/65R14

TIRE SPECIFICATIONS Vredestein Quatrac 5 Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S Federal SS-657² Dunlop Winter Maxx WM02
    UTQG 400AA 260AB 340AB 420AA None
    Maximum Load 963 lbs 937 lbs 963 lbs 963 lbs 963 lbs
    Maximum Inflation Pressure 51 psi 44 psi 44 psi 44 psi 44 psi
    Tread Depth 10/32"¹ 9/32" 9/32" 10/32" 11/32"
    Tire Weight 12 lbs 13 lbs 13 lbs 14 lbs
    Rim Width Range 4.5-6" 4.5-6" 4.5-6" 4.5-6" 5-6"
    Measuring Rim Width 5" 5" 5" 5" 5"
    Section Width 6.5" 6.7" 6.3" 7"
    Tread Width 4.6" 5" 5.5" 4.9" 5.3"
    Overall Diameter 22.5" 22.4" 22.4" 23"
    Revolutions per Mile 926 910
    Country of Origin NL JP TH TW³ JP
    Eco Focus N/A eco focus Enasave N/A
    According to the numbers the Quatrac 5 looks to the be best choice.

wellswebdesign can you report on the tread depth of the set you have? I'm also curious to know if you got any treadwear warranty either from Tire Rack or Vredestein.

Notes:
    ¹ Vredestein tread depth as reported by forum member wellswebdesign.
    ² Federal SS-657 info from Tires-Easy.com.
    ³ Country of origin as reported by Alex1a1f.
    Kind of an old post but still useful?? Look at the tread depth and width of the Quatrac. It's narrower than the Enasaves - is that a good thing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-20-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya eh thanks. I actually got my shopping focus down to Kumho Solus & Vredestein. And that's solely because of one of Mark's old posts about tires. I like to do my research beforehand, so I know what I'm getting into, and I'm not persuaded by sales tactics and pressure, or by buying without being educated more on what you're buying.

Basically, All Weather is my preferred, but I may have to buy winters, and slap on my all seasons in the spring. Might boil down to what the different shops still have in stock. Could be Hankook tires I get, or might end up with 4 Nordman's or Pirelli's. We shall see. I really want to get my winter tire situation under control during my vacation the next few weeks.

Unrelated to this thread but I'm also trying to get my home Wi Fi setup improved. I'm waiting for a 5th gen D-Link router from Best Buy.ca that is definitely an upgrade from mine now. Internet keeps dropping connection.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I find it weird I can't find local dealers by using "Find Your Location" for both Kumho and Vredestein Canada's websites.

You would think there would be someone out there selling these tires. I just feel like I've been cheaping out with my Mirage for 7 years no winter tires. Maybe I should smarten up. I'd like to get what I want. I wonder if Hankook are any good. My friend said Kaltire was rough on his Traverese. Not sure if he has kept that vehicle in good shape though.
    Are the tires you want on the Quattro tires site links I posted just a bit ago?

You don't have to settle for anything. You go to a local mechanic that also does tires. Your Ford dealership may even be that place & ask for the exact tire you want. If they can't get that for you, ask them what it would cost to have your new tires mounted/balanced & old tires disposed of if brought in?

Ask Quattro if they have installer in your areas, too. It's really quite simple.

Let say you wanted the Vredestein Quactrac 5, & Quattro has them. I can't get them, but you can. They didn't ship to the States last time I asked them. I usually get tires in 3 days or less. You don't need to find a Vredestein or Khumo dealer. Just ask your Ford dealership what it would cost to have a new set of tires balanced/mounted. Order exactly what you want & be done!
    Last edited by Mark; 12-20-2020 at 06:30 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya eh thanks. I actually got my shopping focus down to Kumho Solus & Vredestein. And that's solely because of one of Mark's old posts about tires. I like to do my research beforehand, so I know what I'm getting into, and I'm not persuaded by sales tactics and pressure, or by buying without being educated more on what you're buying.

Basically, All Weather is my preferred, but I may have to buy winters, and slap on my all seasons in the spring. Might boil down to what the different shops still have in stock. Could be Hankook tires I get, or might end up with 4 Nordman's or Pirelli's. We shall see. I really want to get my winter tire situation under control during my vacation the next few weeks.

Unrelated to this thread but I'm also trying to get my home Wi Fi setup improved. I'm waiting for a 5th gen D-Link router from Best Buy.ca that is definitely an upgrade from mine now. Internet keeps dropping connection.
    If you have survived with Dunlop or Bridgestone all-season tires all these years, any tire you buy will be an improvement over your worn out tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tire Rack shows they have the Vredestein Quatrac 5 in stock in our size for $74.83/each. Which is nice.

Edit: Funny - Tire Rack shows the 185/55R14 even cheaper - $70.92/each. Go figure.

Actually they show a nice variety of sizes that could work on a Mirage.
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-20-2020 at 06:41 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Tire Rack shows they have the Vredestein Quatrac 5 in stock in our size for $74.83/each. Which is nice.
    I don't know which tires he's fretting about? If it's the Kumho Solus HA31 4-seasons/winter approved tire they are $69.53 ($54.36 USD) @ Quattro tires. Vredestein's are $131.84 Canadian funds @ Quattro. The Kumho are much cheaper.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you have survived with Dunlop or Bridgestone all-season tires all these years, any tire you buy will be an improvement over your worn out tires.
    But they've just now reached their low-rolling resistance.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have two sets of tires that fit in that category. Like Mark says, any new winter tire will be an improvement with what I have been living with for 7 years. Dedicated winters should last a while, since they're only on my car for 5 months of the year.