Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mirage Issues? (I'm considering buying a used or leftover Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well Fummins, you're the mechanic here-Is there a way to make the input shaft bearing stronger or more durable? I forget that cvt's when broken can't be repaired and have to be replaced entirely, right? If that's the most common failure point then there should be some way to reinforce it.

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Pour some beer in it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-05-2021),MirageRally (01-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol, welp-l don't know what would help make the CVT more durable... Cuz if that's the most common failure point is the input bearing... If Mitsubishi/Nissan found a way to reinforce it, then maybe it would last a lot longer and relieve a lot of stress.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Lol, welp-l don't know what would help make the CVT more durable... Cuz if that's the most common failure point is the input bearing... If Mitsubishi/Nissan found a way to reinforce it, then maybe it would last a lot longer and relieve a lot of stress.
    Adding a aftermarket transmission cooler or a lower temperature thermostat certainly wouldn't hurt. High temps are the death of CVT's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-05-2021)

Maybe they changed something in 2017? The only 2017 failure I've seen so far was one last month and the input bearing is fine but it looked like the part that failed was caused by shock load/twisting force, likely by spinning tires on ice then grabbing hard on dry pavement.
    The bearing I've seen fail completely is the thrust washer/bearing that sits between the input shaft and the housing and when that thrust bearing goes it causes the shaft to wear into the housing. They sell aftermarket replacements, I don't know if they're actually an upgrade to the oem or not though.

The actual input shaft that's pressed onto the back of the input shaft itself is apparently a common part to wear on the Nissan cvt's, they sell them

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post122178

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I certainly hope as vehicles get better and better, that CVTs will get better as well. Other than being slow off the line they are really good transmissions for the most part. With time I'm sure CVTs will get better and it's always best to get a mirage brand new (if possible), that way if something does go wrong you have the warranty to cover you.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-05-2021 at 09:36 PM. Reason: My terrible English and spelling....

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Aamco by me said they are currently rebuilding JATCOS cvts depending on the reason for failure. If its shrapnel from a steel belt forget it but if its anything else they'll try. His words, not mine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-05-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What year on your Versa? Miles? I think its important to point out that much of the whinging about the cvt is the "internet effect" or being extremely hyperbolic. Every 4th car I see on the road in my metro of 6 million is a Nissan, ranging from brand new to 20 years old. Surely if 50 to 90% of Nissan owners had their cvts fail early it would destroy them. Every Nissan article would kill them in the press as Ford was killed for using a dry dual clutch transmission. There was a lawsuit but that hardly made a beep on the national radar. My buddy at work is over 200k miles on his 2015 Altima and never did anything for his cvt, didn't even know he had one! Until Nissan puts out numbers on the amount of cvt failures before 200k miles, we'll never know the truth.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There is another fine mesh strainer filter that you can replace when you pull the oil pan. It looks like a conventional automatic filter. And if you wanna be super anal, there are a handful of teeny tiny little cylindrical screen filters inside the valve body.
    I knew about the little filters in the valve body and don't intend to bother them. I've looked at diagrams of the CVT and never have seen the conventional filter inside the pan. All I'd been seeing is the magnets in the pan which I also wanted to clean. When you remove the pan do you need to replace the pan gasket or is it OK for multiple fluid changes? Do you happen to have the part numbers for the two filters and pan gasket? I've looked online a few times but have found conflicting information and have never asked at a Nissan dealer what the part numbers were. I want to be sure I get the correct replacements before draining. I suspect I'll be draining mine no later than early-mid summer 2021. I have another car that I drive a lot and we use the Versa mostly for weekend driving therefore the miles don't go on it extremely fast. It's a '16 I bought it in 2/19 with 10K miles and it currently has 26K. It would have more but corona virus has put a damper on some of our going.
    Last edited by 2016 Versa; 01-05-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Pour some beer in it.
    That should loosen it up a little.