Thread: Oil filter issue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven Slow View Post
    Look at the "Oil Filter Part Number" thread. foama explains how some oil filters have a bypass valve (in addition to an anti-drainback valve) allowing for smoother startup while oil pressure is still low. The oil filter you want is a WIX 51356 or equivalent because it has a bypass valve. The 57356 or equivalent (which now comes up as the recommended filter) is noticeably rougher at startup and that's what you are experiencing now. Also, if you live in a really cold region, I would stick with 0W-20 or even 0W-16 oil.
    Someone got this statement from Wix on another forum thread related to this topic.

"Wix will only warranty the filter we say to use only. If you install another one and it should cause any problems there will be no warranty on it through Wix."

Wix recommends the 57356 for a Mirage.

You would have to show me something that states the internals (drainback & by-pass valves) are different.

Someone in another forum was told this by Wix (in reference to 51356 to 57346) -

Here is the reply I received from Wix

"57356 has a more recessed baseplate to allow more thread engagement and a better gasket seal."

Thank you for your interest in WIX Filters. check out our website @ www.wixfilters.com Product Information (800) 949-6698 Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm, (Eastern)

My impression from all this is - the 51356 was an old popular Honda oil filter that started to be used for other vehicle applications, but it was found to need to some improvements to fit other vehicle brands better.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-08-2021 at 03:36 AM.