Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sad day today (1/7/21), I lost my Mirage...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Definitely an accident any one of us could have been in. A similar accident I made when I was around his age too. Just glad we didn't have the police and insurance. The guy that bumped into me (because of my own fault) just told me to pay for the parts/labor (which was under $200 IIRC) which was really nice of him because I think he could tell I was a college student. From the sound of it, it sounds fixeable. Hopefully the frame isn't bent. There's been a huge amount of G35 parts, especially on the facebook groups, so it shouldn't be too hard to fix up again (as long as the body is straight).

We all know a car that's valuable to us so I totally understand the heartbreak from your kid too. It'd be devastating but at least once he puts his hands on the car to fix it, it will give more value to the car too.

REALLY glad ya'll are safe though. And you're an awesome father. I remember when I got to the 'accident' my dad immediately asked if I was okay. Hope you guys can get it back up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to explain the accident quickly. It was at a T-Intersection with a traffic light. He was approaching the intersection from the top right of the T and was going to turn left to go down the bottom leg of the T. The thing to keep in mind is that if you were to proceed going straight at the top of the T, the top left side of the T is a right hand curve. So seeing through the intersection is somewhat tricky due to the curve, especially when there's lots of traffic. I've seen many accidents at this intersection.

So, he was turning left. There is a left turn arrow but it had ended and becomes a yield to turn left and he was the 2nd car back turning left. The other trick to this intersection is that the oncoming cars, that are intending to turn right to go down the T, have a yield sign and are supposed to stop to let the left turners (like my son was doing) proceed. But many right turners don't know this as it is not generally the case, so left turners like my son have to watch the right turners to avoid collisions. Anyway, he was 2 deep turning left. There was one oncoming right turner waiting, and another car coming he wasn't sure if it was going straight or turning right also.

The car in front cleared, and as he was just sort of creeping to ensure the 1st oncoming right turner would continue to yield, and the 2nd car was actually turning right also and would have to wait on the one in front correctly yielding, WHAM, he got hit in the right by a teenie bopper girl that was in the oncoming fast lane. I went to the accident scene. Blond headed ditsy looking girl. He fixated on the oncoming yielders turning right, and creeped out into the intersection not paying attention to the other lanes coming around that curve. There was a lady that witnessed the accident and she said the teenie bopper girl never slowed down even though my son was clearly in her way in the intersection ... as if said teenie bopper girl was focused on her phone. Which was not able to be confirmed ... and in any event my son was in the way. It was his fault either way. But I'm guessing the accident could have been avoided or lessened to a large degree if the girl had paid attention to him being in her way.

Seriously, my son is tore up about this. He is going over the deep end about how bad he feels. He crushed his car he loved, he caused ANOTHER car to be probably totaled, almost got people hurt, and is tore up that he wasted so much money. He's beating himself up about it, and knows he screwed up. Makes me feel bad because I told him, if you crash and it is your fault, the car is gone. I stressed that to him, and now it has come to pass.

How I proceed from here, I'm not sure yet. I am going to let a body shop look at it and see if the door mounts can be straightened up so a replacement used door could function. And slap some bondo here and there and then hit it with single stage black. I ain't wanting a show car when all is said and done. Just a functioning door. I don't give a rats behind about the underbody. My son said he was fine with that too. Surely that can be done for less than another used G35. At the accident scene, I saw that the 2 right side wheels were unaffected, so I convinced the poeleece to just let us drive it home. And we did. It drives fine. He likes his car, has a sense for value, and doesn't mind if it has imperfections, even big imperfections.

I'm not rich, but I'm not poor either. If he had been uncaring and nonchalant about the situation, things would be different. But he's got a good heart, he's a good person. And my wife even said if any of our boys were going to crash a car, she would never suspect it would be him. He has been a very careful driver.
    I know of a number of kids who have had accidents making left turns at stoplights. For whatever reason the difference between a left green arrow verses a green light doesn't register with some. I really see this as a behind-the-wheel instructor, & I have to really emphasize who has the right away in these situations. The elimination of left turns is probably the best justification for round-about intersections.

My oldest daughter while in high school was making a left turn & hit somebody turning right at a stoplight intersection. My daughter was totally at fault. Thankfully, it was at low speed & no one was hurt. In her case, she had a friend passenger. Both her friend & my daughter were co-valedictorians of their class. Despite their wisdom in the classroom, the accident still happened. She received a ticket in the mail a few days later. My daughter is a perfectionist, & she's really hard on herself. I paid the ticket and never said a word to her. I could have told her to pay her ticket herself, but it was my way of telling her everything was OK. I wouldn't trade her for anybody, & unconditional love is the best! Mistakes happen!

You don't have to say much when you know your kid already feels terrible about something. Your son will remember Dad keeping his cool & being supportive more than anything (long after this event becomes history)!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Glad everyone is a.ok. I always get alarmed by stories like this on the Mirage Forum. That everyone is ok, is the important thing.

Distracted driving is the new drinking and driving. Lots of people can't handle being away from their phones, just like a real drunk can't stop drinking. Makes no sense, usually they know it. Cellphone addicts is the problem.

Wake up and smell the bacon, cars are moving vehicles. Cars should have uncomfortable seats for the first 5 years of newbie beginners drivers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just reading this today, VERY glad to hear everyone walked away from this! In the end, that's all that'll ever matter. I just can't stop thinking about if this had happened in Blueberry....the Mirage doesn't have a great record of surviving even minor fender benders. You do what you must in the aftermath, just be grateful you still can

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I mean if you drove it home, it sounds savable to me...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I understand your son's love for his car. But no matter how much money and time you put into repairing it the car will never be quite right again and will always have a 'builder title'.

The car sacrificed itself to keep your son safe, as it was designed to do. Let it go to Valhalla. JMHO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I'm holding the clean title. The title will not change.

Basic, it is savable. But at what cost? That's the question, I'll start having answered next week.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts

Basic, it is savable. But at what cost? That's the question, I'll start having answered next week.
    So I assume the car did not have full coverage, then?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts

If his alternative is a Mirage with 220 less horsepower, your son may be more willing to accept a less than perfect G35.

I think most body shops will work with people who don't have insurance to cover repairs. You're not going to get their best work, but it's worth getting a couple estimates. Otherwise, you're putting the "cart before the horse" in making a decision.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    So I assume the car did not have full coverage, then?
    That's correct, liability only. In the 3 years I have owned that car, full coverage would have cost me more than the car was worth. So I'm still money ahead.

Heck. I have a 2010 LS 460L, macked out, badass car. Liability only... My brand new Mirage ... liability only. I figure if my LS 460L, which is still worth at least double what the Mirage is worth can run liability, my Mirage can too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)