Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: -20 cold winter night, Mirage's heater sucks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Silly question, the air filter says "AIR FLOW" and has arrows pointing up. I have the filter "upside down", my thinking that the airflow goes down into the fan etc. Is that the right way to have the filter? Sorry thanks.

So far the filter has improved things.

PS baking is great, I love it. I just don't have a proper mixer, but yea I can make carrot cake and shortbread even. Well once, assisted. Do you like to bake, AtomicPunk?
    I can, and I have, but I much prefer the role of "official taster" of whatever the Mrs. bakes. Makes killer chocolate chip cookies, btw. Every once in a while I'll try meringues (sweet tooth), but everything has to be just right for them to set up properly.

Last edited by AtomicPunk; 02-19-2021 at 04:12 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-01-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'll admit I didn't read all 6 pages of this post. However, Manitoba had its annual deep freeze last week and I went out a few times. The Mirage has never warmed up particularly fast, and at -35 it takes a while (helps if it is plugged in to start). That said, it does get comfortably warm in the cabin eventually.

On a side note, I watched the scan gauge when running an errand. Started at about -4 (block heater, ambient temps were -29c), and only climbed to 70 after 15 minutes of city driving. Then when I stopped and let it idle, the temperature actually dropped a few degrees to about 65 before warming up again. For reference, on a less cold day it would hit 90 degrees in maybe 10 minutes and stay there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-01-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comparison to Manitoba, Canoehead.

Long story short, my 2014 Mirage didn't come with a cabin filter. Mine is the ES Mirage with no AC.

So I bought a cabin filter from my local auto parts store last week. After popping the filter in, now I think I'm getting about 25% better performance for my heat. Still not great like you say eh.

And my fan doesn't sound all buggy any more. So was worth the $26 bucks. The filter I bought is from Germany I believe, but there are much cheaper options out there. Maybe more in the States I dunno.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)