Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yep... another one...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They claimed they did a few times. Now, I don't know if there's any sort of proof but the fluid wasn't burnt or nasty. I figure it like this... I'll see what I can do about the engine first. Then once that's sorted I'll worry about changing the fluids on the trans. My goal is to fix up the car and find it a new home, it's not going to be staying with me as I have too many cars but I didn't want it to end up getting scrapped. I figure if the engine is junk and needs to be replaced I'll just put in my whole 80,000 mile powertrain as a unit into the car and then it'll be good for a while especially since it's a revised 2017 setup. Better cam, better cvt, better everything.

-Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Here's today's update. Some cleaning, ranting, and so forth. I had thing thing sitting here idling for two hours without any issues... I swear the engine just has piston slap or something. Fummins, this ticking sound like any of the cars you have at work?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow, there is neglecting keeping your car clean, then there's almost trying to ruin what you own.. and that's what that is, burning money. I can understand burning money on expensive trips to Caribbean, but what is this!?

I would never let my kids wreck the seats or other parts of my car, even if they're too young to understand, that is nuts. That is messy past the point of no return. What's their house like? I wouldn't want them as tenants.

They treat everything like their own personal garbage can.

I know it's a cliche but I was always raised to take care of what you own, even what little you own. I remember seeing a brand new Suburban SUV driver... littering out the window a few years ago, and I thought to myself, what is the point then there eh

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post

Here's today's update. Some cleaning, ranting, and so forth. I had thing thing sitting here idling for two hours without any issues... I swear the engine just has piston slap or something. Fummins, this ticking sound like any of the cars you have at work?
    I'll watch your video's later, I have no speakers atm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Right on!

I didn't do any work on it today... Had to mess with a cruddy Hyundai instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post

Actually, wasn't too bad out tonight so here's an update. Changed the nasty oil, engine still ticks some. What the heck is that? It almost reminds me of a lifter tick or piston slap... and I know that cold start garbage caused the engines to get piston slap on these earlier cars but the damn car is less than a month out of the engine replacement program... dammit!
    That sounds a lot like my white car did. There was a sweet spot where it’d be quiet when reved a little bit. I couldn’t hear it very well if at all under full throttle. Could really hear it best in gear at idle or while cruising under light throttle. It’s hard to tell if mine was that loud or maybe louder in person. Mine was like that for almost a year before I took it in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah... I think it's the same issue. Sadly, this damn car is made in March and the cutoff was February for the free engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Want to experiment? Next time you change the oil, run Rotella T6 5w40. I have a theory that the 0w20 was only used for fuel economy and that 5w40 has been known to quiet quite a few notoriously noisy engines. Plus its just good stuff. Nice ZDDP package and whatnot. I would if it was mine.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Want to experiment? Next time you change the oil, run Rotella T6 5w40. I have a theory that the 0w20 was only used for fuel economy and that 5w40 has been known to quiet quite a few notoriously noisy engines. Plus its just good stuff. Nice ZDDP package and whatnot. I would if it was mine.
    I agree. 0W-20 is about fuel economy & nothing more. I base that on other markets listing various viscosity of oils for a Mirage. UK, for example, pretty much anything goes depending on the climate conditions somewhat.

Weird part is they recommend 0w20 up here and we get what might be the best warranty on these cars. The entire 160k km/100k mile 10 year powertrain warranty transfers to anyone. I believe overseas their warranty is something like 30 seconds 30 ft from new. Strange they give Canada such a good warranty and we seem to have the most engine problems lol.