Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
I'm glad you're enjoying the videos! It's fun for me to make them and hopefully pass on a little knowledge here and there.

Well, I've had it running for hours, driven it all over town, revved it a bunch of times to the redline... the noise hasn't changed at all. It's either piston slap or possibly a noisy lifter or something along those lines. It wouldn't be a rod bearing or anything like that because the engine would have exploded already hahaha.

I'd love to know if this is the cause of the "overfuelling" issue that Mitsu was replacing these early engines for. This might be the cause of that especially since the guy who I bought it from told me the noise started when there was that cold snap last December in the area. Was fine before then and then it got super cold especially for the St. Louis area and the car started to tick like that and hasn't stopped.

You know what, it's clacky just like Fummins' white Mirage was before they replaced the engine under the service campaign now that I found the video of his car again. So yeah, pretty sure it's piston slap from cylinder scoring or whatever. At this point, it's just going to probably be that way which is fine for whatever young driver gets it and subsequently undo's all the work I put into cleaning and fixing it when when they smash it into a tree because they were too busy texting and taking selfies or some garbage like that.
'Overfueling' issue causes the cylinder scoring which eventually causes the ticking then the knock. Mine started with a slight tick (engine speed) and increased over a 2 week period. When it started to get louder I took it in to the dealer. It's been sitting at the dealer for 4+ weeks waiting on a new engine from Mitsubishi (warranty replacement.)
2018 Mirage with 75,000 miles.