Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US: 2014 Mirage IIHS crash test results (videos, pictures)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Sorry!
    Doesn't change my mind either.
    ....it's important to note it's not a government test, just the IIHS's.
    Imagine how your Metros would fair in this, or my Charade?

You're absolutely right, the IIHS is the INSURANCE Institute for highway safety. (This is paid for by INSURANCE companies with financial motives) They are not law makers. They set no regulations.

They don't pre-warn the OEMs that they're going to test their cars for new collision types, and when they do a new test like this one, they make sure that it makes the headlines: "YOUR car is UNSAFE!" This crash test is not required by the government, and these cars were not engineered to meet a government standard for these tests.

They can now hold up a piece of paper that justifies charging you more insurance for your small Hyundai or Mitsubishi.

This view of the small-overlap crash test makes it look like the whole front end is crushed...SHOCKING!!..its not. All cars, big and small. are far safer than they were 20 years ago. SUVs have safety disadvantages that small cars don't.

However, many people are ignorant. Even more people are ignorant about this. It's bad news for Mitsubishi (and Fiat, Hyundai, etc.) because most people will believe these were indeed government crash tests and that will potentially hurt sales

OH, I already know how my cars would fare, and it's not pretty. They crumple up like tin cans, even in the "easier" 40% offset crashes. The videos are out there. You can probably find the 40% offset test video for the Charade too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

One more thought: the Mirage hasn't yet been tested by the U.S. government body, NHTSA. Those tests don't include the IIHS "small offset" crash. Based on the IIHS results (highest rating in every category other than small offset), there's a good chance Mirage will score 5/5 stars in the government tests.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-23-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It's interesting that the safest small car in US is not as safe as Mirage in another tests (just to remind):

EuroNCAP
    Name:  111a.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  70.9 KB
    Name:  112a.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  73.4 KB
    However,
    Electronic Stability Control (ESC) is not currently available on any variant. Chevrolet advises Euro NCAP that ESC will become available on some variants during the course of 2010.
    ANCAP (Australia):
    Name:  113a.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  97.2 KB
    Name:  114a.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  87.3 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is very strange. But the ncap is a totally different then the IIHS

And in the U.S., the NHTSA (the body regulating legal safety requirements) is also different from IIHS. The NHTSA doesn't have an equivalent test to the IIHS 25% offset crash which so many cars are now failing.

I'd be willing to bet that NHTSA is going to give the Mirage 5/5 stars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    And in the U.S., the NHTSA (the body regulating legal safety requirements) is also different from IIHS. The NHTSA doesn't have an equivalent test to the IIHS 25% offset crash which so many cars are now failing.

I'd be willing to bet that NHTSA is going to give the Mirage 5/5 stars.
    And then hopefully there marketing department will push the 5 star safety hard, along with 44 mpg and 12995 price tag. They really need to push those three things in there next commercial

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Commercial ? We haven't seen one for the MIRAGE . What channel / station did you see it ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rarely I see it on A&E or History. Mirage big night out. Its on there youtube channel as well

Also:
    Thread: Have you seen any Mirage / Space Star advertising/commercials?