Thread: Mirage/Space Star 2015 - Immobilizer warning & Button Replacement advise from dealer

Country
    Norway
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Mirage/Space Star 2015 - Immobilizer warning light caused by Start/Stop button

Hi everyone,

I think I have been crawling the forums as a guest for a while, so this is my 1st post here.

I have recently bought a 2015 Space CVT with Start/Stop FOB, it has about 14600 km on it, so it's not that much driven.

Since I bought it I keep getting the immobilizer warning light shown up on my dashboard and I can not seem to get rid of it.
    The behavior is that if I unlock the car with anything but the button on the driver's door the car will not start unless I keep the button pressed 30 seconds, so that is why I usually use the door button to open the car instead of the fob or the trunk button. Regardless of how the car is unlocked the warning light is on.

Reading on the forum I have tried 2 things by myself:
    First thing I have tried is to replace the battery on the fob for both the regular key and the backup, without any success.

Second thing I did was to unplug and plug back the fuses as some of the friendly guys here documented, this also did not help and the issue persists.

I had some issue with the tire pressure sensor not working on my winter tires, and since I had to do the regular check-up I took it to an authorized Mitsubishi Dealer (Motor Forum here in Norway) and they said it is the Start/Stop button fault. They said they have arrived to this conclusion by removing the start/stop button of a similar vehicle they use for rentals and plugged it into mine - this little investigation stunt cost me 96.40$ equivalent and the quote for ordering a new button and replacing it 453.68$.

I wanted some other opinion on what I should do here, should the opinion of the guy investigating be worth perusing or should I try other things ? If you think I should replace the button, do you have any suggestions where I can get a hold of a cheaper button ?

I believe paying 453$ for a button is excessive even for Norway.

Cheers,
    Gabe.

Last edited by devlishro; 04-08-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Country
    Norway
    Thanks
    Hi guys, so just a follow-up

I was able to find someone selling a Start/Stop button for 10% of the asking price of the dealership, so I jumped on it, got it and tested it out and behold, the immobilizer warning light in the dashboard is gone and everything is working just fine!

So to others out there with a nasty immobilizer warning light you should try:

1. Replace FOB batteries
    2. Check the fuses and the fuse holderare properly pushed in the fusebox (the yellow component in the fuse box contains the fuses which are of interest)
    3. Try to see if you can find a compatible matching Start/Stop button. For my model/trim version this is the part number which I had and replaced: 8610a130 (To remove the button it is a bit tricky, you need to open the fuse box and extend your arm inside to reach the button and there are 2 clamps on top and the bottom of the button which you will need to work with to have it released from it's socket)

Good luck!
    Last edited by devlishro; 04-08-2021 at 09:41 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devlishro For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-08-2021),inuvik (04-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, and also-Welcome to the forum!
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

devlishro (04-08-2021)

Country
    Norway
    Thanks
    Thank you for the warm welcome and no problem happy to contribute, the warning lights were really annoying so hope this will help someone in the future.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to devlishro For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-08-2021)