Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chainsaw bar oil

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

chainsaw bar oil

I bought a small Stihl saw for some trimming and pruning.

I don't feel like paying near $50 for a 4l jug of bar oil. what do you guys use and what substitute would work ok

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What brand is that expensive? I just buy Canadian Tire stuff, I didn't think it was nearly that expensive

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The CTC stuff is $11/liter

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...aw.ds#store=71

but I poked around and found Oregon 4l for $20 or 1L of Husqvarna for $6.50 @Lowes.

Think I'll go with Lowes. I don't remember burning through that much bar oil on my old Homelite and Mac saws.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

BigMW (06-14-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The CTC stuff is $11/liter

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...aw.ds#store=71

but I poked around and found Oregon 4l for $20 or 1L of Husqvarna for $6.50 @Lowes.

Think I'll go with Lowes. I don't remember burning through that much bar oil on my old Homelite and Mac saws.
    I'd go with the Oregon. Good name, cheaper, and it'l last for a good long while...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

BigMW (06-14-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This stuff is <$7.00 a liter.
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...aw+bar+oil#srp
    How much will you use?? A 4L jug would probably last a lifetime if your only trimming & pruning.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

BigMW (06-14-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    This stuff is <$7.00 a liter.
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...aw+bar+oil#srp
    How much will you use?? A 4L jug would probably last a lifetime if your only trimming & pruning.
    That's priced much better. I notice CTC is labelled summer OR winter. ugh. like I want to store two oil types. No thanks. I found Echo oil for $18 at Home Hardware, Canadian guys know who they are and at least the profits (I think) circulate in Canada.

I bought a string trimmer from them as my old Homelite may need a carb, lines, plug, $30-50 in stuff. The one I bought, never heard of the name before, Radley, has 3 years of p&l locally. $100. Big box have nothing under $150.

That's priced much better. I notice CTC is labelled summer OR winter. ugh. like I want to store two oil types. No thanks. I found Echo oil for $18 at Home Hardware, Canadian guys know who they are and at least the profits (I think) circulate in Canada.

I bought a string trimmer from them as my old Homelite may need a carb, lines, plug, $30-50 in stuff. The one I bought, never heard of the name before, Radley, has 3 years of p&l locally. $100. Big box have nothing under $150.
    My buddy has had good luck with a Radley chainsaw. As for bar oil, I have a bunch of unlabled bulk atf and engine oil that I dump in the saw. It's free and chains are cheap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    My buddy has had good luck with a Radley chainsaw. As for bar oil, I have a bunch of unlabled bulk atf and engine oil that I dump in the saw. It's free and chains are cheap.
    there's a youtube guy running a Radley saw for what seem hours on end without a hitch. My Homeharware has the 52cc model, 18" bar for $130. I'm tempted. I used ATF in the past as it was so cheap. Now 4l of Echo saw oil is $18. Can't buy any brand of ATF that cheap.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    there's a youtube guy running a Radley saw for what seem hours on end without a hitch. My Homeharware has the 52cc model, 18" bar for $130. I'm tempted. I used ATF in the past as it was so cheap. Now 4l of Echo saw oil is $18. Can't buy any brand of ATF that cheap.
    My local Blain's Farm & Fleet has their Mystik bar oil on sale for $7.99/gallon ($1.00 discount). 1 Gallon = 3.785 Liters

$7.99/3.785 = $2.11/liter USD = $2.81/liter CAD

I have 4 (Poulan/Husqvarna/2 Jonsereds) chainsaws (2 were given to me by my dad), and the newest one is 18 years old (2005 Jonsered CS-2152). I own 72 acres of wood, cut, & burn firewood. It's been my primary saw since 2005, & it's been in the shop once (muffler bolt vibrated out & took it in to find a used one).

My two favorite chainsaw brands have been bought out & eventually phased out. Husqvarna eliminated the Jonsered line up, and Makita recently (March 2022) dropped their gas line up, which was Dolmar chainsaws (Dolmar was the oldest gas powered chainsaw company). Apparently, red chainsaws were doomed!

If I had to replace a saw today, I would consider an Echo (for overall value). If you don't use a saw much, however, I would skip the major brands (Stihl, Husqvarna, & Echo). I just don't have much experience with Chinese knock off chainsaws, but some seem decent.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I can't believe this thread has 9 replies...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)