Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering my first Mirage/manual

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If he doesn't know how to drive a manual, I feel sorry for that salesman riding along on that test drive!
    For the record I didn't say to take a Mirage with a standard transmission for that test drive though that would be a plus. But either way, take that test drive before buying.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    For the record I didn't say to take a Mirage with a standard transmission for that test drive though that would be a plus. But either way, take that test drive before buying.
    I know you didn't say that, I was just poking fun at the situation. Even if you know how to drive a manual, they all have a different feel to them. Now, my Forester feels a bit awkward, because I drive my Mirage more.

I thought the Mirage was a bit clunky at first, but it's not. It actually shifts pretty effortlessly. Everyone should test drive a car, but driving a CVT isn't going to answer his question about driving a manual.

He likes a challenge & driving a manual is a good skill to learn. He will do fine, & I think a small car is easier to learn with. Just less mass to move, & the hill assist feature is helpful for new drivers, too.

Less people ask to borrow your car when it's a manual. We sort of forced our one daughter to learn how to drive manual, because she was heading to a 3rd world country in Africa. She wasn't thrilled about driving a manual, but that's all they had there to drive. Driving a manual is a good skill to master!
    Last edited by Mark; 05-11-2021 at 04:17 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! From your responses it seems that driving a manual is a lot more cerebral than I initally thought. I've watched some videos, and obviously there is no substitution for getting behind the wheel. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a manual car, so I will have to take lessons at a place not terribly far away that offers them. I think my favorite response was from dspace9 where he says "Don't worry if you end up stalling"- as I picture myself stalling on the Merritt Parkway during rush hour, or stalling as I am making a left turn on US 1.....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CTJosh For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CTJosh View Post
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! From your responses it seems that driving a manual is a lot more cerebral than I initally thought. I've watched some videos, and obviously there is no substitution for getting behind the wheel. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a manual car, so I will have to take lessons at a place not terribly far away that offers them. I think my favorite response was from dspace9 where he says "Don't worry if you end up stalling"- as I picture myself stalling on the Merritt Parkway during rush hour, or stalling as I am making a left turn on US 1.....
    Yeah, some people on here have been driving manual Mirages for years and post how they still manage to somehow miss shift and stall them lol. It's not hard once you figure it out, my one sister bought a used 5 speed 02ish tiburon years ago then learned how to drive it. Then it needed a clutch and the transmission had to be rebuilt lol. Not sure if car was junk form the get go or if she was just really horrible at driving, her boyfriend was/is kind of a moron and probably had done his fair share of grinding on that thing too.

I watched a guy at work a while back put a 5 ton truck in reverse while parked against a loading dock and proceed to do the worlds most oblivious reverse burnout until I opened the passenger door and told him he's in reverse. That truck needed a new clutch a few weeks later.

If you have basic understanding of how things work then you'll be fine. Even if you don't, you'll figure it out. You don't need to be initiated with a yellowstone brand to drive one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum. Having a stick IMO is great, no matter what type of vehicle you drive. You catch way more green lights. If a light is red and you're 1/4 mile away at 45MPH, ya just downshift. I guess you could tap your brakes in an automatic vehicle, but it's not the same. (note, if someone is right behind ya- still tap the brakes when doing this so they know you're slowing down. Lots of people drive distracted and won't notice) You then go through the light in 2nd gear that ya would have stopped for in an automatic. I'm not saying you never stop for a red light. Just that ya stop for a lot less of them by downshifting into the intersection when the light is red.

You're right in that less people will want to borrow your car. Also, it's a theft deterrent. Mind ya, if someone wants your car they can just lift it, but most people don't know how to drive a stick. I know of 2 people who because they had a stick didn't get their car stolen. One was a co-worker. It was still a scary experience for her, but if she had an automatic she would have been car jacked. The other one was a friend of a friend type situation. I don't know the full details on that one. Either way, there aren't many people who know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle. That includes crooks.

I can't answer how it handles in snow. I just got mine last week. As for this hills and highway traffic, I had those same concerns. The first day of highway driving I didn't think it could do 75 for long periods of time. After 1,000 miles on it my opinion has changed some. Plus highway entrances where ya go from one highway to the next. Those ya do have to slow down some. The first day it felt like I was going to flip the car. Ya get used to it though and adapt. Entrances to the highways are slow. It does take a bit to get up to speed. There's an entrance that U-turns onto the highway where I'm at. Then ya have 500 feet to get merged w/ people going 70MPH+. Even stepping on it, ya can't get much over 40MPH entering the highway. During the day time I'll just take a different entrance. It's a little inconvenient, but that's one of the things I'll deal with for the positives.

It's not a power car. Ya do have to take it slower on turns and such than you would in a lot of other cars. I think it would be a great 1st car for kids. My friend wanted to buy my Fusion for his daughter. That car has rocket power- compared to the Mirage at least. I wish he'd get her a Mirage, even though she doesn't want one. The Mirage kind of forces ya to pay attention more. Hard to explain, but ya need to be more aware of your openings rather than think ya can just step on the gas and get in there.

This car would be a great first vehicle for kids. It doesn't go that fast. They won't be drag racing. Or if they insist on it, they'll be racing against golf carts or maybe some Amish kid with horse and buggy. A manual transmission just kind naturally makes ya a better driver because you have to be more aware. The manual applies to any vehicle. So yea, a Mirage stick shift would be an awesome first car for a kid.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Add on- You just can't drive nearly as aggressively in a Mirage (or any of these smaller type cars) that you can in some others. Another reason it would be great not only for kids, but for a lot of people overall.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My ex had a stick shift, and her Dad would come up with scenarios that makes driving a manual sound dangerous. Stalling on the train tracks etc.

With manual, once you're used to it, there are actually a few surprise advantages to a stick shift. Winter driving is improved with a manual. You will see it. And with my Mirage, I finally got winter tires after 6 years all seasons, and what a world of difference makes for traction. I bought Hankook 14" iPikes, but there are other brands out there.

I feel that acceleration is improved, and when I need all the speed I can get, like merging onto the freeway, I keep it in lower gear and then just rev higher. But Mirage is not everyone's cup of tea, auto or manual, so make sure you test drive one to see if you like it. You may want a Camaro 6 speed manual instead lol. Mirage goes down hills fast with being so light.

But with a clutch, you have way more control on winter roads. You can modify the rpms more, not strictly geared to the speed you're driving like in an automatic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJosh View Post
    As far as learning how to drive a manual, I feel these clips are done quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW2Q7lIxrRo&t=150s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4AW_1hz6Rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTQCvLWLeLM&t=1256s

I would say these clips are professionally done with very sound advice coming from a professional driving instructor (Ph.D even)! If I were teaching someone to drive a manual, I would suggest these as a good starting point.

I've been driving manuals since the 1970's. I went to truck driving school last fall, & I was instantly humbled by the experience. Double clutching a large semi with 10 or more gears was a challenge for me. I had to fight the urge to not double clutch (pushing the clutch half way for a double clutch was a challenge for me), & it critical you hit gears at the correct RPMs with a large semi. I had to reprogram my brain somewhat. Someone who didn't typically drive a manual may have had an advantage over me. It may have been a case of teaching an old dog new tricks, too? At the end of a day's lesson, I would practice double clutching my Mirage. It really wasn't the same.

My point - I was very overwhelmed at first. With practice (3-weeks of class) I got better, & I passed the three Wisconsin class A CDL exams (pre-trip inspection, backing maneuvers, & road test) with an independent third party license examiner.

Once you master a manual transmission, you may find that you really enjoy it! I love driving manuals! If I had to drive a large semi-truck with an automatic transmission, however, I wouldn't be disappointed!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-12-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I love driving manuals! If I had to drive a large semi-truck with an automatic transmission, however, I wouldn't be disappointed!
    It's spooky driving a transport with an automatic but it is kinda cool. They are really an automated standard gear box operated by a computer & air solenoids. When you put your foot to the floor, the engine slowly revs, the clutch smoothly engages & off you go. All the clutching & shifting & rev matching are perfect both shifting up & down. And all this while the people on the street think your the best "BillyBigRigger" & your doing nothing, the computer does it all
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-12-2021)

^ Same thing with a ~799 cc diesel Smart car. It's a single clutch automated manual transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)