Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: is forward collision mitigation standard on the 2021?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I were in charge of things, touchscreens in vehicles would be illegal. Cassette tape & CD players would be making a comeback!
    I'm not so sure looking down into my center console box and trying to fiddle with the cassette housing while driving is much safer. Let's bring it back to only AM radio

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    We've tried this FCM but on outlander PHEV we place a big box on front it really stops before hitting the box, but the braking force of the outlander is greater than the mirage so i have no idea how the mirage react to that test since we dont get that variant here, but for me the only great and very usable features thats incorporated with the FCM is the adoptive cruise control (im not sure if mirage have it) the montero sports with the FCM have it, very useful since you dont need to cancel your CC by braking, it slows down by itself and return to its set speed when the obstacle in front clears out, you can rest your feet during long drives.
    No adaptive cruise on any trim of the Mirage in Canada even the models with FCM i already checked.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I'm not so sure looking down into my center console box and trying to fiddle with the cassette housing while driving is much safer. Let's bring it back to only AM radio
    I remember buying a $20 FM converter @ Kmart and adding it to my dad's 1977 Chevy Silverado AM radio.

My 1990 Ford Festiva didn't come with a radio, antenna, or speakers. A base model back then was pretty basic. Adding what you really wanted, however, wasn't hard. I miss affordable base model cars.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-31-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I remember buying a $20 FM converter @ Kmart and adding it to my dad's 1977 Chevy Silverado AM radio.

My 1990 Ford Festiva didn't come with a radio, antenna, or speakers. A base model back then was pretty basic. Adding what you really wanted, however, wasn't hard. I miss affordable base model cars.
    Its all the gubberments fault making us buy those pesky ABS systems and airbags and metal bumpers and immobilizer keys that are really adding to the cost of the vehicle. Mirages are alot cheaper in other markets because of these human rights they have.

Thankfully we got that new market of 3 wheel cars that skirt all these laws and will sell us a car without those pesky airbags like the ElectraMeccanica Solo for 20k USD....
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    FCM in our Mirage is a joke. It has one favorite spot in the early afternoon, no one else on the road and that thing beeps and the symbol illuminates. It DOES wake me up, though!
    Karl

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    FCM in our Mirage is a joke. It has one favorite spot in the early afternoon, no one else on the road and that thing beeps and the symbol illuminates. It DOES wake me up, though!
    Could possibly be a dirty camera or radar sensor. Some cars also do this if you drive into sunlight. It maybe beeping indicating its become non-functional and not to tell you that it thinks a collision is immanent. But i dont know the particulars about how the mirage system works.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (09-02-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Its all the gubberments fault making us buy those pesky ABS systems and airbags and metal bumpers and immobilizer keys that are really adding to the cost of the vehicle. Mirages are alot cheaper in other markets because of these human rights they have.

Thankfully we got that new market of 3 wheel cars that skirt all these laws and will sell us a car without those pesky airbags like the ElectraMeccanica Solo for 20k USD....
    Just off the top of my head, my 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford) didn't have -

power steering
    ABS/traction & stability control
    electric power windows
    power door locks or remotes
    passenger side mirror
    air bags
    intermittent wipers
    rear wiper
    rear defrost
    cruise control
    tachometer
    A/C
    radio/antenna/speakers

I would say the rear of the car was somewhat unfinished. The inside of the door panels were metal (painted the same color as the outside of the car. The rear seats were superior, however. They could be folded & flipped forward, & that left a very flat floor in the back for dogs, dead deer, or whatever you wanted to haul in your car.

The cost was $5,300 after a $1,000 Ford rebate was applied to a $6,300 MSRP car. The Festiva handled better than my Mirage & just seemed tougher. With its 145SR12 tires, it was superior in the snow to my Mirage. I drove that car for 14 years. I added a radio, antenna, & speakers. At times, A/C would have been nice (especially to clear moisture off of the front windshield). I would never turn down cruise control either.

I bought that car, because my oldest daughter was born that year. I wanted something affordable, reliable and economical to drive while my wife quit her job to raise our two daughters at home for 8 years. I earned two graduate degrees (driving back & forth to summer school classes) with that car. It wasn't fancy, but it did everything I wanted a small car to do.

As long as it's a manual I could care less about other features on today's cars.

Given the current state of affairs (inflation, higher gas prices, higher vehicle prices) I am amazed that there isn't a huge market for affordable transportation. When Mirages were selling for $10,000-12,000, I don't understand why more people weren't talking about them. I blame that on poor marketing by Mitsubishi, however. I had to search & find the White Bear type dealerships in the country first. If my experience was limited to my local Mitsubishi dealership, I wouldn't have a Mirage in my driveway.

My next ultimate small car would be a small wagon or hatchback with a Mazda Miata 6-speed manual power train. Add the handling characteristics of the Miata, & I would be perfectly content!
    Last edited by Mark; 09-01-2022 at 11:45 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Back in the 60's when I was trying to get an education at the Univ. of Kansas, I spent too much time with a sports car club. Road and Track had more than one article on the Fiat 500, "Topolino", Micky Mouse, and described in painful detail a very basic car. The 4-cylinder engine had but two main bearings. The car had 15" wheels and a real four-speed manual shift. Other than the short sighted engine design the Italians loved their "Topolino."

The average guy could actually work on such a car including replacing main bearings. We have drifted away from simple to complex and even some dealer techs are far behind.

I really like the Mitsu Mirage. I figure routine maintenance and sensible driving this car should outlast me (81) and keep on running like Fummins's stable.
    Karl

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-02-2022),Fummins (09-02-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Given the current state of affairs (inflation, higher gas prices, higher vehicle prices) I am amazed that there isn't a huge market for affordable transportation.
    Klaus Schwab, leader of the World Economic Forum, has stated "By 2030, you will own nothing, and you'll be happy". I'm not sure affordable is coming back.
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 09-02-2022 at 10:15 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-02-2022),mohammad (09-02-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Klaus Schwab, leader of the World Economic Forum, has stated "By 2030, you will own nothing, and you'll be happy". I'm not sure affordable is coming back.
    I don't see affordable coming back again, and I also don't see myself buying another new vehicle in my lifetime either.

The average USA vehicle age on the road is 12.2 years now. There's probably several good reasons for that.