Thread: Daggone auto-up/down winder...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,044 Posts

Daggone auto-up/down winder...

I was driving the mighty heavy haul tow rig yesterday, and it was wet / rainy. I was coming into some rain and started putting up my winders. I pulled the auto-up of the driver's winder and it went about 60% of the way up and stopped.

From that point on, the auto up/down wouldn't work. I was a bit miffed that I had my first problem with the car. Unreliable pile of crap!

But then I got to thinking about the forums, and thought I remembered a sort of reset procedure. I wasn't sure about what I remembered. But I poooooshed the button down and held it, 10 seconds after the window hit bottom. Then did the same thing, held the button up for 10 seconds after hitting the top. The actual reset procedure could be some other shorter duration poooooshing the button. I just did 10 seconds as I was driving and was just sort of remembering.

Viola! The daggone auto-up/down driver's window worked perfectly fine again. What an amazing heavy haul tow rig this little steaming turd is! Just love the little turd.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Mark (Today)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I was driving the mighty heavy haul tow rig yesterday, and it was wet / rainy. I was coming into some rain and started putting up my winders. I pulled the auto-up of the driver's winder and it went about 60% of the way up and stopped.

From that point on, the auto up/down wouldn't work. I was a bit miffed that I had my first problem with the car. Unreliable pile of crap!

But then I got to thinking about the forums, and thought I remembered a sort of reset procedure. I wasn't sure about what I remembered. But I poooooshed the button down and held it, 10 seconds after the window hit bottom. Then did the same thing, held the button up for 10 seconds after hitting the top. The actual reset procedure could be some other shorter duration poooooshing the button. I just did 10 seconds as I was driving and was just sort of remembering.

Viola! The daggone auto-up/down driver's window worked perfectly fine again. What an amazing heavy haul tow rig this little steaming turd is! Just love the little turd.
    Good insight!

Make sure the window isn't rocking around in the track. The 2017's were notorious for loose bolts that hold the regulator in place. They'd come loose, oval out the holes pretty bad if not caught quick enough. One symptom is the auto up not working, or not being able to manually close the window cause the smaftey(don't close the window on your head)system kicks in and rolls the window back down automagically. I don't know if the newer ones had the same issue or not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,044 Posts
    I know that loose bolt problem. My '04 Corolla had it. I fixafied it myself. Just pooooolled off the door trim, pooooot the winders down to where the glass run clamp bolts are aligned with holes in the door sheet metal, and torque them down to 200 foot pounds. When the glass shatters, you know you've hit the correct torque.

I'll check the driver's winder to see if it's getting wobbly. Might be. I'm up/down with those winders a lot as I pretty much ride with the left 2 winders down. I've been saying this for a hunert years but ain't nobody done backed me up on it. If you drop both left side winders, it's a lot more comfortable like that versus any other winder up/down configuration. Cept, when it's warm enough, and I'm approaching a stop, like at a red traffic light, I sometimes ease the right front winder down to get a cross-breeze, to keep me from getting too warm from no breeze at the stop. But whenst I get to rolling again, I pooooot that right winder back up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)