Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying Cool without A/C

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Staying Cool without A/C

So the 2017 Mirage I am looking at does not have air conditioning. Where I am the summers tend to stay fairly mild, hovering around 22-28C (72-82f). However in the past couple years we have gotten into more heatwaves with temps reaching into the mid 30s (95f) with high humidity added onto that. I spent this summer at a homestead without A/C where temperatures reached 44C (111F) with humidity. We got by with fans, damp towels on the neck, and staying out of the sun.

When it comes to dealing with uncomfortable temperatures I'd say I'm quite good now. I've biked basically everywhere for the past couple years in all weather ranging from -35C to 35C. So I can personally get by without A/C just fine.

However I am curious what you folks with A/C free cars do to stay cool. Here are some ideas I have read about:

12v fan that plugs into cigarette outlet (I think the 2017 has a 12v outlet correct me if I'm wrong)
    'Ice box' fan that you fill with ice - this for only real long road trips which I don't think I'm going to be taking often
    Wet towel on neck
    Tint windows
    Reflective dash cover - only if a shaded parking spot cannot be found
    Open windows - great unless you are travelling highway speeds or in very dusty/smoky areas

What do you guys think? Any ideas I missed, or any of these that you think aren't good ideas? My only one is with the ice box cooler you want to make sure it's sealed well so there aren't leaks on the floor of the car.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have a no AC Mirage that I bought new back in 2014. Power windows in the front, roll downs in the back.

I have dark grey paint. This means my Mirage is probably hotter in the summer, than an identical white or silver car. Wasn't thinking at the time about this. The no AC model was cheapest, and I wanted a stick shift.

Do you have another car you can keep for a week or two, 'til you figure out manual?

I have no AC in my old house. With big trees around, and curtains closed, it can be like 10 C cooler inside my house with no effort.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Cam123 View Post
    So the 2017 Mirage I am looking at does not have air conditioning. Where I am the summers tend to stay fairly mild, hovering around 22-28C (72-82f). However in the past couple years we have gotten into more heatwaves with temps reaching into the mid 30s (95f) with high humidity added onto that. I spent this summer at a homestead without A/C where temperatures reached 44C (111F) with humidity. We got by with fans, damp towels on the neck, and staying out of the sun.

When it comes to dealing with uncomfortable temperatures I'd say I'm quite good now. I've biked basically everywhere for the past couple years in all weather ranging from -35C to 35C. So I can personally get by without A/C just fine.

However I am curious what you folks with A/C free cars do to stay cool. Here are some ideas I have read about:

12v fan that plugs into cigarette outlet (I think the 2017 has a 12v outlet correct me if I'm wrong)
    'Ice box' fan that you fill with ice - this for only real long road trips which I don't think I'm going to be taking often
    Wet towel on neck
    Tint windows
    Open windows - great unless you are travelling highway speeds or in very dusty/smoky areas

What do you guys think? Any ideas I missed, or any of these that you think aren't good ideas? My only one is with the ice box cooler you want to make sure it's sealed well so there aren't leaks on the floor of the car.
    Everyone's situation is different. If you find yourself ever wanting to use ac then I'd just go buy a car with it rather than regret it down the road.

I'd consider looking for an ES plus trim Mirage(Canada only). I'm sure they came with a 5 speed in 2017. You get manual temp controls with ac, bluetooth, 4 power windows, and keyless entry. No cruise(but can be easily added later), no auto temp controls, no fog lights, steel wheels.

Ac does come in handy in these cars when it's humid too. I wouldn't buy a car without it. We get similar temps out here in Oilberta. Ac helps defrost the windows in the winter,rain and works well in the heat. You technically don't need ac, nobody "needs" it but it's sure nice to have. The two people on the forum who don't have ac in their Mirage are either "cheap" or want to get the maximum fuel economy imaginable out of their cars.

If you're stuck on a cheap base model no ac car then how about this one? 2014 welfare edition for $2100 with 130,000 kms if you hate it then you shouldn't have a hard time getting your money back out of that thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts

Wet towel on neck
    Tint windows

My 1990 Ford Festiva didn't have A/C (it didn't have much of anything - it didn't even come with a radio/speakers/antenna). I drove that car for 14 years without issue. I used that car to earn two different masters degrees. Most of my classes were summer classes that were 100 mile round trips. That car was 2 door & the rear windows only popped open slightly in the rear. Not having A/C never bothered in me that car, but I wasn't usually hauling my family in that car.

Keeping a car in the shade is your best bet. If I back my Forester out of the garage & start with a cool car, it makes a huge difference. Even if a car has a A/C, starting out with a cool car helps. If my car is baking in the sun, it never seems to cool off as good even with A/C. A good front windshield sun block panel may be worthwhile, too.

For most real life driving, I find myself going somewhere in the morning and coming home in the late afternoon or early evening. I prefer driving with the windows open verses using A/C. I must admit, however, that I have used my A/C a few times this summer. It's been a humid one.

My parents live in northern Wisconsin (Green Bay Packer country). My 81 year old dad finally agreed to get central air this summer. My mom & I have been on him for over 20 years. He finally caved this summer! They do live near Lake Michigan, & that does help keep it a bit cooler than where I live in SW Wisconsin. They are loving their A/C.

A/C is nice, but I wouldn't "sweat it" where you live! Bad line! I know!

Another forum member had 300,000+ on his 2014 Mirage manual. His only big issue during that time was replacing his A/C unit. He lived in Louisiana, however. If I lived in the South, A/C would be a bigger priority for me. In your case, it's one less thing to go wrong on your car.

Another Canadian forum member (founder of this forum, but I am mentioning names) disconnects his A/C (uses a shorter serpentine belt & by passes the A/C pulley), because he's anal about his mpg (km/100L).

I like driving my Mirage with the rear windows open a few inches on both sides & my driver's window down. I like resting my left elbow out the window. Obviously, I have the manual controls sent to vents most of the time, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Everyone's situation is different. If you find yourself ever wanting to use ac then I'd just go buy a car with it rather than regret it down the road.

I'd consider looking for an ES plus trim Mirage(Canada only). I'm sure they came with a 5 speed in 2017. You get manual temp controls with ac, bluetooth, 4 power windows, and keyless entry. No cruise(but can be easily added later), no auto temp controls, no fog lights, steel wheels.

Ac does come in handy in these cars when it's humid too. I wouldn't buy a car without it. We get similar temps out here in Oilberta. Ac helps defrost the windows in the winter,rain and works well in the heat. You technically don't need ac, nobody "needs" it but it's sure nice to have. The two people on the forum who don't have ac in their Mirage are either "cheap" or want to get the maximum fuel economy imaginable out of their cars.

If you're stuck on a cheap base model no ac car then how about this one? 2014 welfare edition for $2100 with 130,000 kms if you hate it then you shouldn't have a hard time getting your money back out of that thing.
    This is a young man who is buying his first car, & this 2017 Mirage ES manual has about 6,550 miles on it. A older guy is selling his mother's car for her. She hardly used it, & health issues are preventing her from driving now. He will save nearly $10,000 buying this very slightly used 2017 ES manual verses a new 2021 ES manual, & he's also interested in learning how to drive a manual.

I could afford any vehicle I want. If I needed a car, I would buy this car! It's hardly been used. Mirages really haven't changed since 2017. Even the 2021 is the same car with different bumpers. This 4 year old Mirage may have had 2 oil changes so far!

We need to bring you up to speed man. You've been on vacation! This is the car -

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/cars/#vip=21339457

Your professional opinion would be great for him!
    Last edited by Mark; 08-10-2021 at 08:17 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Sorry about my lost post. I totally get where you are coming from, too!

I suggested this $3995 Mirage, too! I felt it was a good option with lower mileage for its age.

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/cars/mits.../#vip=21275366

Used Mirage deals are better in Canada. All our Mirage have A/C, however. One has to decide how important that is? I would trade my A/C for cruise, but I don't make the effort to add cruise either.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will be totally fine without A/C as I have lived a whole summer without in the midst of two heat waves and I did just fine. If/when I do get a girlfriend (my friends can just deal with it) I might get one of those ice box coolers. I could buy one or make one if we're on some big road trip or something. If she doesn't think that's cute, then unfortunately we probably won't be a good fit.

I really like the Mirage because it most definitely projects the correct image to people. Not sporty, not cool, not manly, but economical and reliable and practical. Correct being most similar to how I actually am, not how every car should be lol. I picture a world full of mirages and old civics and corollas and I think it would be rather boring. So in a way I am grateful for the car people who drive the impractical but real nice looking cars. I just don't think I'll ever be one of them!

*Edit dspace9 it's no rush for me which is good. I will have access to my parents' cars if necessary, and I still have my biking gear ready to go for anything else. I'm also not in school yet so I have a lot of free time to rip around and practice with it.
    Last edited by Cam123; 08-10-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will be totally fine without A/C as I have lived a whole summer without in the midst of two heat waves and I did just fine. If/when I do get a girlfriend (my friends can just deal with it) I might get one of those ice box coolers. I could buy one or make one if we're on some big road trip or something. If she doesn't think that's cute, then unfortunately we probably won't be a good fit.

I really like the Mirage because it most definitely projects the correct image to people. Not sporty, not cool, not manly, but economical and reliable and practical. Correct being most similar to how I actually am, not how every car should be lol. I picture a world full of mirages and old civics and corollas and I think it would be rather boring. So in a way I am grateful for the car people who drive the impractical but real nice looking cars. I just don't think I'll ever be one of them!

*Edit dspace9 it's no rush for me which is good. I will have access to my parents' cars if necessary, and I still have my biking gear ready to go for anything else. I'm also not in school yet so I have a lot of free time to rip around and practice with it.
    My first dozen or so vehicles didn't have working ac. Or cabin filters... I didn't die but most of those vehicles had vent windows, rear sliders or vents in the kick panels that could get a nice breeze going through the cab.

You can't go wrong with a cheap Mirage, I wouldn't be afraid to get one with higher miles if it was maintained relatively well. Even if it wasn't you can source out a used motor and/or transmission for cheap enough down the road.

I haven't had to replace or even open up a Mirage engine yet. Highest mileage one in our fleet had around 475,000km(cvt replaced around 300,000kms) before it was totaled. We have one with over 406,000kms with the original cvt and engine. It's fine.

My favorite part about the Mirage is if I ever forget to fuel it up I can just dump a few liters from a jerry can I have laying around the house and be good for another day or two if need be.

I couldn't care less what image my vehicles project to people. I'm fine with people thinking that I'm dumb by driving an "unreliable car"(as per the majority of car reviewers) and poor driving one of the cheapest cars money can buy.

As for central ac, we had it installed in our 1978 house the year after we bought our place. Other than a garage furnace it's the next best thing I had done to the house. We use it all the time. I dealt with crappy loud fans and window mount ac units in my previous house and apartments. If you can afford it without eating rice for a year or having to refinance your life then go for it.

But I assume a lot of people who don't have it are just cheap corner cutting bas tards.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input Fummins. This is making me rethink things. This 2014 Mirage
    https://www.kijijiautos.ca/cars/mits.../#vip=20915213
    is the SE version so it comes with A/C and heated seats and for less than the current 2017 one. It has 99k km which is much more than the 10,500 on the 2017, but if these cars last well into the 300,000km territory than that is totally fine with me. Hmm.

*Edit just found another 2017 with 35k km that has a/c for $7600. Well at least I think - the title says "+CLIM" and in the up close dash photo I see a button with a snowflake buttonName:  snowflake.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  43.9 KB. Albeit it is a good distance away but again I can pay for the travel there.
    Last edited by Cam123; 08-11-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My first dozen or so vehicles didn't have working ac. Or cabin filters... I didn't die but most of those vehicles had vent windows, rear sliders or vents in the kick panels that could get a nice breeze going through the cab.

You can't go wrong with a cheap Mirage, I wouldn't be afraid to get one with higher miles if it was maintained relatively well. Even if it wasn't you can source out a used motor and/or transmission for cheap enough down the road.

I haven't had to replace or even open up a Mirage engine yet. Highest mileage one in our fleet had around 475,000km(cvt replaced around 300,000kms) before it was totaled. We have one with over 406,000kms with the original cvt and engine. It's fine.

My favorite part about the Mirage is if I ever forget to fuel it up I can just dump a few liters from a jerry can I have laying around the house and be good for another day or two if need be.

I couldn't care less what image my vehicles project to people. I'm fine with people thinking that I'm dumb by driving an "unreliable car"(as per the majority of car reviewers) and poor driving one of the cheapest cars money can buy.

As for central ac, we had it installed in our 1978 house the year after we bought our place. Other than a garage furnace it's the next best thing I had done to the house. We use it all the time. I dealt with crappy loud fans and window mount ac units in my previous house and apartments. If you can afford it without eating rice for a year or having to refinance your life then go for it.

But I assume a lot of people who don't have it are just cheap corner cutting bas tards.
    I also love central air. If you're working outside and it's really hot, it's nice to get a break from the heat. Plus, it's just better for your home/furniture to remove all that excess moisture.

Vehicles like a Mirage get labels like "entry level car", "economy cars", "city cars", or whatever. Those labels don't really mean much. It's cheap, affordable transportation (another label). It does what it is designed to do without being flashy.

When I see a vehicle like a Land Rover or a Jaguar, I instantly think expensive & unreliable. When you google these vehicles, you find -

"In their 2019 reliability survey, Land Rover landed at the bottom of the pile of manufacturers they reviewed. Both brand new (0-3 years) and older Land Rover models (3-8 years) earned a low reliability rating, having been awarded just 1-star out of 5."

"A balanced look at the luxury British manufacturer. Jaguar is synonymous with British luxury and style. ... But despite this, Jaguar has been plagued with the issue of dependability for some time now. Although they are known for their build quality and style, Jaguar has always been considered quite unreliable cars."

Someone pulled up to the high school the other day with a brand new Jaguar SUV. My student drivers were instantly impressed. They are the same way about Tesla cars, but the same kids will make fun of someone driving a Prius. I guess stupidity may sell some cars?

Some may be impressed with a Land Rover or a Jaguar, but I am not one of those people. I am impressed by a little car that affordable, reliable, & very economical to drive.

How is an expensive vehicle known to be extremely unreliable impressive? Even if you have excessive amounts of money, I am not impressed by anyone buying/driving these vehicles. I'm sorry, but Mirage owners impress me. Sadly, I don't know many in person. Thus, I have to hang here!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-11-2021)