Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil consumption ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    ZDDP levels have nothing to do with consumption. Okay providing you don't run it out of antioxidants and dispersants often enough to foul the rings.

What does have an impact is viscosity, HTHS, and volatility, NOAK. Ring seal and evaporation.

That's from the oils contribution.

Operating conditions weigh heavy on this as well. More load, more usage.

Oil's viscosity sensitivity to fuel dilution is also a player.

Lastly, mechanical condition. Speaks for itself.
    I've shared this in other oil threads, & I am going to share it here, too.

If you download a Mirage owner's manual from other countries, you will find most any oil viscosity would work in a Mirage engine under the right conditions (atmospheric temperatures).

For example - The Mirage owner's manual for the UK lists the following oil viscosities for the Mirage - 0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W30, 5W40, 10W30, 10W40, 10W50, 15W40, 15W50, 20W40, & 20W50. None of these oil viscosities are recommended over the other in their manual. Instead the manual states - "Select engine oil of the proper SAE viscosity number according to the atmospheric temperature." Obviously, most of these oil viscosities overlap each other quite a bit.

The effort to squeeze every ounce of economy out of our Mirage engines is what drives the 0W20 recommendation in North America in my opinion. A recommendation is not a mandate. I don't hesitate to use 5W-30 full synthetic oil in my Mirage, but that's a personal choice (not a recommendation for anyone else).

Steve's Cheap Plastic Car (old thread from a former forum member) received free lifetime oil changes with his Mirage purchase. Even though the Mitsubishi dealership went under, the owners honored the service through their Cadillac dealership. Steve received 55+ free oil/filter changes before selling his Mirage @ 307,000+ miles. His oil changes were 5W-30 conventional oil & most likely a low grade oil filter every 5,000 miles. His Mirage did not suffer any engine issues. He did have some transmission issues in the end. Given how Steve racked up the miles quickly, it would be safe to assume his car experienced a lot of highway miles.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-09-2024),Grumpy Bear (01-09-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Have noticed when using redline with the label saying "extra zddp" additive has been burning slightly more oil.

Burned from top hole to middle of the indicator in 3,500km.

Granted, this was with some trailer towing as well but I would believe that there is something with the zddp additive that makes it burn a bit more.

Anecdotally a friend with a toyota tercel sees the same oil burning with the redline oil compared to others.

With molygen I do not see as much oil consumption.
    Are you saying that your car(2023 Mirage) is using this much oil?

If so that's about 1/2L every 7000km and not what I'd consider normal for these cars, especially one that's under a year old and has under 300,000k km.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Are you saying that your car(2023 Mirage) is using this much oil?

If so that's about 1/2L every 7000km and not what I'd consider normal for these cars, especially one that's under a year old and has under 300,000k km.
    Just this redline brand of oil it burns slightly more.

The molygen looks to have no oil burnt in a 6,000km interval.

Also in this run, was towing a travel trailer on the highway for 1,500km so it was pedal to floor for a long time.

Keeping a closer eye on the oil level going forward, it has not burned any until this brand so I kinda did not check it as often also perhaps with winter I did not check as often.
    Last edited by sunbeam; 01-09-2024 at 01:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    sunbeam - Just for reference, and admittedly this is not something I know from design experience or anything, but something I experienced. I once had a car with almost 300k miles on. A 1984 Toyota Celica GT. Helluva car. If I drove it around town, it would use very little oil. If I took it for a long highway cruise, it would consume. Not so rapidly I couldn't keep it at a safe level. But it was uncanny how consistent it was between the 2 driving styles.

WOT driving exposes the engine to long periods of vacuum differences. I'm not imagining all the dynamic differences that are going on, but I imagine there being a substantial breathing difference within the engine internals if driving at WOT versus driving at say 25% throttle. Perhaps that is more of a contributor than is the oil brand. I dunno the fact, just sort of thinking out loud.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    sunbeam - Just for reference, and admittedly this is not something I know from design experience or anything, but something I experienced. I once had a car with almost 300k miles on. A 1984 Toyota Celica GT. Helluva car. If I drove it around town, it would use very little oil. If I took it for a long highway cruise, it would consume. Not so rapidly I couldn't keep it at a safe level. But it was uncanny how consistent it was between the 2 driving styles.

WOT driving exposes the engine to long periods of vacuum differences. I'm not imagining all the dynamic differences that are going on, but I imagine there being a substantial breathing difference within the engine internals if driving at WOT versus driving at say 25% throttle. Perhaps that is more of a contributor than is the oil brand. I dunno the fact, just sort of thinking out loud.
    Totally possible.
    I am going to monitor more closely.

Hopefully as the weather gets better will be able to road trip more and see.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've shared this in other oil threads, & I am going to share it here, too.

If you download a Mirage owner's manual from other countries, you will find most any oil viscosity would work in a Mirage engine under the right conditions (atmospheric temperatures).

For example - The Mirage owner's manual for the UK lists the following oil viscosities for the Mirage - 0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W30, 5W40, 10W30, 10W40, 10W50, 15W40, 15W50, 20W40, & 20W50. None of these oil viscosities are recommended over the other in their manual. Instead the manual states - "Select engine oil of the proper SAE viscosity number according to the atmospheric temperature." Obviously, most of these oil viscosities overlap each other quite a bit.

The effort to squeeze every ounce of economy out of our Mirage engines is what drives the 0W20 recommendation in North America in my opinion. A recommendation is not a mandate. I don't hesitate to use 5W-30 full synthetic oil in my Mirage, but that's a personal choice (not a recommendation for anyone else).

Steve's Cheap Plastic Car (old thread from a former forum member) received free lifetime oil changes with his Mirage purchase. Even though the Mitsubishi dealership went under, the owners honored the service through their Cadillac dealership. Steve received 55+ free oil/filter changes before selling his Mirage @ 307,000+ miles. His oil changes were 5W-30 conventional oil & most likely a low grade oil filter every 5,000 miles. His Mirage did not suffer any engine issues. He did have some transmission issues in the end. Given how Steve racked up the miles quickly, it would be safe to assume his car experienced a lot of highway miles.
    You may opine such. It is in fact, a fact. The EPA rating is given for a 'qualified' oil. Thanks for this post with the UK manuals instruction. I've preached this for over 50 years.

Country
    France
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    For example - The Mirage owner's manual for the UK lists the following oil viscosities for the Mirage - 0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W30, 5W40, 10W30, 10W40, 10W50, 15W40, 15W50, 20W40, & 20W50
    This are approximately ALL the possible standard viscosities, they could also have indicated "put whatever you find"...In my EU 2015 Manual however only 0W20 is indicated !

But I use SHELL HELIX 10W40 SN.....as manufacturer of valvetrain components we know very well how "bad" the low viscosity Eco-Friendly oils can be, expecially regarding valvetrain wear.
    In my country the Temperature are not so extrem cold or hot, to go in direction of 0W20 or 20W50

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Have so far filled with:

molygen 0w20
    supertech 0w20
    mobil 1 5w30
    redline 0w40

Have 6L of redline 0w40 left and a bunch of 5w30 molygen so it will be this for the next bit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    I use (Valvoline Premium Blue) 15W-40 in my old Scamp (LA360), 15W-40 in blue truck (Cummins), and 15W-40 in my son's 2007 Mazda RX-8 (Wankel). Interestingly the long experienced Wankel owners push newer owners to run higher viscosity oil. Mo' protection versus mo' efficiency. Makes sense in those engines. Falls right in line with Mark's recommendation / guidance / post. Mark has a right smart brain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

This guy skipped an oil change and look what happened!
    Attachment 26383

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-09-2024)