Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New wheel bearings blues on my older 2014.........

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    It's hard to believe you wiped out the new OEM wheel bearings in your drums in 40K miles.

What kind of off-brand, discount-barn Wuhan GT radial tires are you running these days...and how many miles are on them?

Seriously...when cheap tires start wearing they can sound like crap (Hello Basic...is this thing on?!? ). Lots of people have assumed they had a wheel bearing issue when the noise was coming from the tires.

You might try rotating them and see if the the noise changes or moves (the noise was out back...now it seems like it's up front after rotating them). Or maybe swap the wheels/tires on your other Mirage onto this one and see if the noise disappears. This won't cost much and it might save you some cash/grief.

Don't just throw parts at it and hope the noise goes away.
    It doesn't have to be cheap tires even. My dad had the dealership replace his factory Michelin tires on his GMC Terrain, and he didn't have that many miles on them. He couldn't stand the noise. He kept complaining until they agreed to change them out. He had to use another set of Michelin tires (cause of warranty), but the second set have been better.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Seriously...when cheap tires start wearing they can sound like crap (Hello Basic...is this thing on?!? ). Lots of people have assumed they had a wheel bearing issue when the noise was coming from the tires.
    I agree, rotate the tires & see if the sound changes It may just be a funny wear pattern on your tires...
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-05-2021 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Fixed BBCode
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    It's hard to believe you wiped out the new OEM wheel bearings in your drums in 40K miles.

What kind of off-brand, discount-barn Wuhan GT radial tires are you running these days...and how many miles are on them?

You might try rotating them and see if the the noise changes or moves (the noise was out back...now it seems like it's up front after rotating them). Or maybe swap the wheels/tires on your other Mirage onto this one and see if the noise disappears. This won't cost much and it might save you some cash/grief.

I checked the Barums Brillantis2 tires. No visible wacky tread wear. I hope it is the tires, that'd be good news. These tires aren't even 2 years old.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts

Thiiiiiiis.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    off-brand, discount-barn Wuhan GT "radial" tires
    Fixed it
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Well went to Discount Tire and got a free rotation and balance. They said besides two of the tires being just slightly low there was no uneven wear. The noise is still there and slightly louder now. I'm at my trusted shop now waiting to hear some bad news. I'm expecting either they can't find an aftermarket part and it'll be a few days to fix the issue or worse, my car is flying thru drums after just 40k miles and 2 years. I will post updates.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Update: back right wheel bearing is going bad. Its not unsafe to drive as there's no play on the wheel. He can't find the part anywhere close so I have the option of waiting a few days till he can order one or he can try and find an aftermarket drum to replace the whole unit. I explained some aftermarket drums don't come with wheel bearings like the OEM does so here we go....
    The front pads are thin after 40k miles so I'm getting those replaced too and he said my cheap tires could be contributing to noise as well.

I'm still here and will post updates. Anyone know an aftermarket drum for early 2014s that come with wheel bearings that truly fit?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Update: they were able to find a part supplier for the wheel bearing. I explained the early 2014 wheel bearing might be different from what he can get so fingers crossed. He said he can press it out and press the new one in so we'll see. I'll be up here for a few hours either way. I'm furious an OEM wheel bearing can crap out after 40k miles! He said fwd economy cars often come with low rent bearings......

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Update: they were able to find a part supplier for the wheel bearing. I explained the early 2014 wheel bearing might be different from what he can get so fingers crossed. He said he can press it out and press the new one in so we'll see. I'll be up here for a few hours either way. I'm furious an OEM wheel bearing can crap out after 40k miles! He said fwd economy cars often come with low rent bearings......
    The cheap dynamic friction drums on rockauto come complete with wheel bearings and studs. And they fit the 2014 and 2015's.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+hub,drum,1744
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=606&jsn=606

I installed 3 sets of these so far.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-05-2021)

It'd be cheaper to just replace the $12 wheel bearing. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1672&jsn=611

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-05-2021)