Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New wheel bearings blues on my older 2014.........

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It'd be cheaper to just replace the $12 wheel bearing. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1672&jsn=611
    Thanks for that Fummy! If for some reason this wheel bearing he's ordering doesn't work out I'll show him this link and go from there. I'm hoping the wheel bearings all match thru all the model years but we'll find out. I'll ask if they're willing to consider using RockAuto parts.

You'd have to look up parts on a mitsu site to confirm the rear bearings fit all years. I'm sure the front ones do.

Instead of saying rockauto you could always just say your cousin, auntie, pet cockroach, or whoever works at a parts place and can get you a better deal on parts.

Everyone at my work supplies their own parts when they get their car fixed. They'd be crazy to pay a shop retail prices for parts when we get parts "at cost" or a huge discount over retail.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    You'd have to look up parts on a mitsu site to confirm the rear bearings fit all years. I'm sure the front ones do.

Instead of saying rockauto you could always just say your cousin, auntie, pet cockroach, or whoever works at a parts place and can get you a better deal on parts.

Everyone at my work supplies their own parts when they get their car fixed. They'd be crazy to pay a shop retail prices for parts when we get parts "at cost" or a huge discount over retail.
    If you're not doing it yourself, they will get you either way. You can force their hand with a lower cost part, but they will still get you on labor. If you get a quote that you can live it, I would just let your mechanic do it. You can always get a second opinion/quote, too!

Mechanics need to feed their families, too! Mechanical things break. It comes with owning stuff! That's sort of how I look at it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-05-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you're not doing it yourself, they will get you either way. You can force their hand with a lower cost part, but they will still get you on labor. If you get a quote that you can live it, I would just let your mechanic do it. You can always get a second opinion/quote, too!

Mechanics need to feed their families, too! Mechanical things break. It comes with owning stuff! That's sort of how I look at it.
    Very true statements from both Fummy and yourself. My only gripe is wheel bearings going out after 40k miles. I don't understand this? I don't remember hitting a massive pothole?

Probably got a dud. I've seen wheel bearings on these cars crap out anywhere from 50,000ish miles to some of the ones on the highest mileage cars haven't even been replaced yet.

I thought you were always worried about having a shop install parts you supplied because of warranty problems down the road.
    It's now down the road, do you have any warranty with those drums/wheel bearings the shop supplied and installed?

Edit: I found on the MItsu canada site you get 12 month 20,000km coverage on over the counter parts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Probably got a dud. I've seen wheel bearings on these cars crap out anywhere from 50,000ish miles to some of the ones on the highest mileage cars haven't even been replaced yet.

I thought you were always worried about having a shop install parts you supplied because of warranty problems down the road.
    It's now down the road, do you have any warranty with those drums/wheel bearings the shop supplied and installed?
    Not after 3 years. They did the work in 2019. I'll post the bill ASAP for posterity sake. This wheel bearing better fit goddammit lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-05-2021)

Time flies. I thought it was more recent.

I see Marks point. If everybody supplied their own parts shops would make less money. And have more headaches dealing with incorrect or just junk parts and pissed off customers.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks

I see Marks point. If everybody supplied their own parts shops would make less money. And have more headaches dealing with incorrect or just junk parts and pissed off customers.
    How's your 2017 CVT and engine running?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts

If I remember this story correctly, this mechanic gave Dirk a quote for the job a few years ago. That quote included aftermarket parts that turned out not to work on his Mirage. The Mechanic ate most of the cost of having to buy more expensive OEM parts to finish the job. He may have even lost money on that job by sticking with his original quote? If that is the case, I wouldn't mind throwing a bit more money his direction.

Small town mechanics are a blessing (compared to dealerships sometimes). I don't mind supporting the good ones! Not all dealerships are bad either.

I would be bummed about a failed bearing at 40,000 miles, but stuff like that happens. OEM parts aren't always superior, but an aftermarket one can fail, too!

Time does fly! It seems like only yesterday, Dirk had his rear drums/brakes replaced.
    Last edited by Mark; 10-05-2021 at 04:32 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How's your 2017 CVT and engine running?
    It runs great now. Now I'll get in an accident and write it off