Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stolen keys fiasco: inept locksmith wiped my computer and now it needs dealer service

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penn_matte View Post

So I'm speculating/hoping this is as easy as bringing the car to a dealer with access to the MUT 3 software (should be pretty much any dealer) who can reprogram the car's ECU with the key codes to the two new keys that I now own. I had called a bunch of dealers earlier today and explained a rough situation with the two locksmiths, but armed with this new knowledge which I believe is correct I'm going to call some of them back tomorrow and hopefully speak with an actual tech/mechanic to double check before I spend even more money towing it around. Everyone I spoke with today I feel like were just the managers of the service departments who probably aren't at the same level of experience and knowledge with regards to the workings of the keyfobs and ECU.
    Update please? How did this all end up for you?

I was at a Kwik Trip (gas station) getting milk (because I drive a Mirage), & one of my former students asked if he could use my phone. He locked his key in his Nissan SUV. It was still running, headlights & wipers still on. It had a temporary license number stuck on the back window. He just bought it used with one key. I really felt sorry for him. Not sure how it all ended up? Parents were going to call the police or nearest locksmith for him.

I don't think that I would feel comfortable owning a vehicle with just one key.

Cobrajet - did you have success creating a second fob?

Watching the Packer game with friends last night, & they brought up their dislike for button start. My friend's brother dropped off his wife at Walmart the other day & he went to get gas. After he filled up, he realized she had the FOB in her pocket. She had to walk 1.5 miles to the gas station before he could start up his truck again. FYI - He had a hip replacement a few months ago. He wasn't being a total jerk by making her do the walking!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    - did you have success creating a second fob?
    Not gonna lie...this thread made me reconsider trying!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Not gonna lie...this thread made me reconsider trying!
    I thought you bought a new device that could help you take care of this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I thought you bought a new device that could help you take care of this?
    Theoretically, it can. But it is likely the same one that the locksmiths are using, or close to it, and it wiped all of the OP's keys.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Update please? How did this all end up for you?

I was at a Kwik Trip (gas station) getting milk (because I drive a Mirage), & one of my former students asked if he could use my phone. He locked his key in his Nissan SUV. It was still running, headlights & wipers still on. It had a temporary license number stuck on the back window. He just bought it used with one key. I really felt sorry for him. Not sure how it all ended up? Parents were going to call the police or nearest locksmith for him.

I don't think that I would feel comfortable owning a vehicle with just one key.

Cobrajet - did you have success creating a second fob?

Watching the Packer game with friends last night, & they brought up their dislike for button start. My friend's brother dropped off his wife at Walmart the other day & he went to get gas. After he filled up, he realized she had the FOB in her pocket. She had to walk 1.5 miles to the gas station before he could start up his truck again. FYI - He had a hip replacement a few months ago. He wasn't being a total jerk by making her do the walking!!!
    aside from price difference this is on of the reason why i preferred the mechanical key over the push button.