Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hopeful future owner from midland ontario

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I think the worst part about car ownership in ontario is the cost of insurance. You should definitely be considering insurance when deciding on a car.
    Good point.

Cost of insurance is what keeps me at having one car on the road at a time.

Fun fact: my old Miata is the cheapest-to-insure car I've had in a decade. The Mirage is 50% more expensive. My Firefly is more expensive too. Go figure!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pellaken View Post
    I have $514 left after bills (rent, internet, phone) and a car would cost $350 just to run (gas, insurance, maintenance) so yea, its just not realistic without a job.
    You must be getting a really good deal on rent in Midland or have a lot of roommates. if it makes you feel any better i pay over 350 just for insurance every month. You can always join the gig-economy and do uber eats or something if thats something you'd want to do.

Your maintenance budget is also probably kind of low, if you were to go to the dealer for everything and follow the severe maintenance schedule just oil changes work out to 35 a month to get 1 every 3 months. I budget approx 100 per month for maintenance.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Good point.

Cost of insurance is what keeps me at having one car on the road at a time.
    True that, I wanted to buy a manual mirage to learn stick and still keep my current ****box and the insurance is more than the payments on a brand new 2022 mirage with an 8 year finance.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You must be getting a really good deal on rent in Midland or have a lot of roommates. if it makes you feel any better i pay over 350 just for insurance every month. You can always join the gig-economy and do uber eats or something if thats something you'd want to do.

Your maintenance budget is also probably kind of low, if you were to go to the dealer for everything and follow the severe maintenance schedule just oil changes work out to 35 a month to get 1 every 3 months. I budget approx 100 per month for maintenance.
    Hey I'd be getting a quote from Sonnet insurance were I you.

I'm 39 yrs old, and I pay $70 a month for insuring for my '14 Mirage. TD was about double that rate before.

I get it that my rates are lower being in hick-ville Ontario, but still, seems like you're paying quite a lot, for something that you literally get nothing out of most years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Hey I'd be getting a quote from Sonnet insurance were I you.

I'm 39 yrs old, and I pay $70 a month for insuring for my '14 Mirage. TD was about double that rate before.

I get it that my rates are lower being in hick-ville Ontario, but still, seems like you're paying quite a lot, for something that you literally get nothing out of most years.
    I just got a quote from sonnet online for your entertainment, $368 per month for minimum coverage one way(liability only).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    I just got a quote from sonnet online for your entertainment, $368 per month for minimum coverage one way(liability only).
    I bought a Mirage, because I knew I could pay it off right away & not have a car payment for 10+ years. My 2011 Forester has stayed under 100,000 miles, because I have put 57,000+ miles on my Mirage. Class action lawsuit (oil consumption) put a new short block engine in my Forester at 90,000 miles. New engine has been fine. So I am hoping it will last me a long time. I am not racking up the miles on it very fast these days.

The trade off is paying for insurance on two vehicles. I paid about $1,000/year total for both. That's full coverage on everything with a $250 deductible on Comprehensive and $500 deductible on Collision. Thus, I am paying about $85/month for full coverage on two vehicles.

When I sold my 1990 Ford Festiva in 2004, I was paying $99 for liability insurance on it. I don't remember if that was for 6 months or the year, however. I should have drove that car until the wheels fell off. I am not making that same mistake with my Mirage.

The average age of a US vehicle on the road is 12.1 years now. Insurance coverage may be a part of that, but it's sounds worst in Canada. On a positive note, you have health coverage. I don't say free health coverage, because very few things in life are truly free!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea eh sorry my old roommate had expensive insurance.
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-11-2021 at 06:08 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My rent is $535. my room is 10 feet by 10 feet, with an adjoining bathroom that's barely enough to fit me on the toilet, in the shower, or standing between the two. Also I'm just north of midland, but didn't think anyone would know where my tiny town with an overlong name was. My other bills are $60 for internet, and $60 for cell phone. stuff like power and heat are included in my rent.

on insurance; while I'm 36, I've not driven since I was 20, and managed to crash on black ice (single car accident) when I did drive. so I doubt I'd be getting a low rate.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pellaken For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-12-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Meh it's all gradients of severity. One claim that is weather-related, is way different than 3 speeding tickets. Because if insurance thinks you're a dangerous driver, like to other people, then you become very expensive for them insure.

I can only imagine what an impaired driving conviction'd do to your insurance rates, or road racing charge (any speeds over 150 km's an hour in Ontario is road racing charge).

And geography seems to be a big factor for your insurance rates, I think TO seems like way more for insurance. I heard Sarnia area is one of the cheapest insurance rates. So I have just gotten lucky, I got pulled over for speeding once and I talked my way out of it. I'm generally a average-speed driver, but I prolly deserve a speeding ticket or two on the quiet freeway the odd time.

In insurance it's all whether you're gonna be dangerous for another person. Lawsuits and that can get into millions. You yourself and your vehicle isn't even what insurance needs to think about hate to say it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Dspace9, the definition of stunt driving in Ontario has changed this year. It now includes “ Drivers caught driving 40 km/h or more above the speed limit where the maximum is less than 80 km/h will face stunt driving charges.” And “ Tire squealing, burnouts, or driving with the intention to cause some or all tires to lose traction.” and a whole bunch of other vague and ambiguous clauses you can read about here: https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance...g-ontario.html note that stunt driving comes with a minimum 1 year license suspension.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-12-2021)