Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A/C without A/C switch?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Attachment 22759 It seems like a common thing among mfg's for the ac compressor to not kick in when the outside temps are below freezing. Google, read and weed out the crap.
    I am bit confused about this discussion. The A/C doesn't have a mind of it own or any say in the matter if you have manual climate controls. Temperature is irrelevant. If you push the A/C snowflake button on, the A/C is on. If you push the A/C snowflake button off, the A/C is off. A/C will never kick on or off on its on with the manual control feature.

I've had some vehicles with manual climate controls were this is not the case, however. My Honda CR-Vs were like that. If you went to the maximum defrost setting the A/C automatically came on. You could flip it off, however. On my Mirage this does not happen. I will say it again, A/C will only kick in with the A/C snowflake button is pushed on. It doesn't matter if is 100F or -15F like today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am bit confused about this discussion. The A/C doesn't have a mind of it own or any say in the matter if you have manual climate controls. Temperature is irrelevant. If you push the A/C snowflake button on, the A/C is on. If you push the A/C snowflake button off, the A/C is off. A/C will never kick on or off on its on with the manual control feature.

I've had some vehicles with manual climate controls were this is not the case, however. My Honda CR-Vs were like that. If you went to the maximum defrost setting the A/C automatically came on. You could flip it off, however. On my Mirage this does not happen. I will say it again, A/C will only kick in with the A/C snowflake button is pushed on. It doesn't matter if is 100F or -15F like today.
    Yes, it's been established many post's ago that ac will not kick on unless the ac button is pushed(manual controls) or the snowflake appears on the screen(auto temp controls). Yes you can turn it off.

I thought we were past that and on to the question why doesn't the ac kick on when you want it to turn on in sub freezing temps?

I was replying to the previous post's about the ac NOT turning on when commanded by pushing buttons that are supposed to make the compressor kick in. I also previously mentioned that the reason for that could be the ambient air temp is too low(it's too cold outside). I did a quick googles search and came up with a lot of other post on other car forums with people wondering the same thing. From what I read it seems like mfgs could disable the ac compressor from turning on in below freezing temps. I don't know if that's true or not but I tried mine the other day when the outside temps were right around freezing (0C which is warmer than the guy who was posting about this) and mine kicked in for a second then wouldn't turn back on. I'm assuming it didn't turn on because it was cold outside. I hope this is clear as mud lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)