Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crank No start flooded engine, being retarded is tough

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Hello cobrajet,
    I think you are misunderstanding what i wrote, i didn't intend to shut it off. I simply didnt crank for long enough causing it to immediately die out.
    I don't think it makes much difference.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 1,102 Posts
    The original function of holding your foot to the floor on a carbureted engine was two-fold. Holding your foot down opens the throttle blades wide open. 1) The pumping losses are less and turning the engine over is easier. More air through the engine leans out what is in the engine / cylinder area, and get's it pumped out of the cylinder area and/or evaporates more quickly due to air movement. Maybe 3 fold ... 3) holding your foot to the floor stops the carb pump shot (1 last pump shot while pushing the pedal to the floor, but then no more) so no more gas will be added (at least by carb pump lever).

I surmise that modern engines this foot to the floor deal enacts a "flooded engine" ECU program to help it lean out and clear away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    These cars HATE being started for a few seconds, shut off, then restarted. I am sure cold weather makes it worse, but I have had it happen a half a dozen or so times in different types of weather.

Just a quirk of these cars.
    I've only had it happen once so far. Started the car for a few seconds to move it. Would not restart.

Not exactly the sequence of events that happened to mohammad, but probably the same thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)