Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Spark discontinued. 2022 is its last model year.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Chevrolet Sonic comes standard with a 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produces 138 horsepower and 148 pound-feet of torque. The engine is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. This powertrain does a good job propelling the Sonic around, and it feels energetic in most situations.

I believe you are correct. I think the 2012-18 Sonic had a 1.8 liter engine option.
    Man, I'm reading Sonic owner's reviews and I'm starting to think this might not be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Man, I'm reading Sonic owner's reviews and I'm starting to think this might not be a good idea.
    Most people suck at taking care of their cars, myself included. A turbo car compounds any neglect. An automatic transmission even further. Unless the Sonic was well maintained, I'd proceed with caution! Not just a GM Sonic but any car for that matter. You know that kind of car, a hot hatch, has been raced. Unless you get super lucky and buy from a grandma that only drove it in the summer to the grocery store, bingo and church and took great care of it. Good luck!
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 02-09-2022 at 04:46 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not to change the subject and pardon my dumb question but the Mirage doesn't have gasoline direct injection (gdi) like Honda and Mazda correct? Supposedly, carbon build up is bad and anyone who doesn't know how to take care of cars is asking for more trouble in terms of maintenance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Not to change the subject and pardon my dumb question but the Mirage doesn't have gasoline direct injection (gdi) like Honda and Mazda correct? Supposedly, carbon build up is bad and anyone who doesn't know how to take care of cars is asking for more trouble in terms of maintenance.

Correct. ECI multi point Fuel Injection. Time-tested, reliable.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (02-09-2022)

There's a 1.8 version I think?
    I thought I replied to this yesterday, guess not...
    We have the 1.8L's. They aren't great. They have power but I'd rather have a slow car that doesn't puke fluids out of every orifice and doesn't require timing belt replacement. These are interference engines, ask me how I know....They are also known(every single one we have)to have a stuipid little rod for an intake runner valve that breaks off. You can't buy the rod new, you have to buy the entire intake manifold for around $500. One of our sonics has a replacement intake on it, the rod broke on it too. Great fix. You can jerry rig it with a bolt I guess but it's a pita to even get to it. Coolant leaks are common, thermostat housing,over flow bottles crack. The automatic transmissions don't have a dipstick, you have to lift it up and pull a plug on the side of the case to check fluid level with it running. If it pours out of the hole it's good....If not you fill it until it pukes out....Wiper transmissions are weak, Some have gremlins. We have one car that likes to randomly lock the doors. I ended up having to cut the wires to the drivers door latch so drivers would stop being locked out at the other end of town. Just overall these things are less reliable than the Mirage, Struts,Ball joints, sway bar end links, starters, alternators,tie rod ends need to be replaced far sooner on a Sonic from what I've seen first hand. The hatch uses an electric switch rather than an actual mechanical door handle. I have had a few Sonics with broken wires inside the hatch so you can't open it. Fun. I have one outside that's missing a few teeth on the timing belt. You can maintain one and it'll last I guess but it'll cost you way more to keep one running than a Mirage.

They are nicer to drive though. More power, better handling,better brakes,more comfortable seat,steering wheel returns to center, but they'll nickel and dime you to death with all the minor but non stop problems over time.

Edit: I tried looking up picks of the intake rod that breaks and found aftermarket parts are now available. But who knows if they're any better than the oem part.

Unrelated news, found out last night that kids don't have to wear masks over here starting Monday. I'm a kid.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-09-2022 at 01:31 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-02-2022),davidricardo86 (02-09-2022),Dirk Diggler (02-09-2022),inuvik (02-09-2022),MetroMPG (03-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    What about Chevy Sonics? I was just toying with the idea of trading in my new Mirage for a 2020 Sonic RS under 10k miles. 90% won't do it. But I keep reading the Sonic was the most comfortable of cheap hatchbacks with a quiet cabin, and comfy seats. I know it's mpg is mediocre though as well as questionable reliability.
    This reply is an indicator, or gauge if you will. Due to Dirk's reply, it is official: He has smoked too much wacky weed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was expecting this thread to have a discussion also about the trend of subcompacts versus large cars. And I see alot of hypocrisy from the general public that purports to be "green" and care about the planet and yet went out and bought a large SUV or pickup-truck.

These trend-following sheep do things just because they are dictated by "mainstream fashion trends" but they are doing things that are completely illogical such as buying a large vehicle when we all know that parking spaces are still small and that traffic lanes are not being widened and that we are looking at large price increases in fuel (that trend is already underway) and yet mainstream sheep will not apply any critical thinking and instead will just keep behaving irresponsibly and choosing large vehicles.

Top 10 things IDIOTS say to justify owning a gas-guzzzling bohemoth:

1) You look like a sissy/weakling in that tiny car.
    2) If you crash into giant car you will get crushed and killed
    3) There is more comfort and ability to stretch your legs in a big car
    4) $3.60 per gallon gas aint so bad, I can afford it
    5) You look like a poverty in that little clown-car
    6) Valet parkers will sneer when they climb in to that tin-can
    7) You will be celibate since girls wont agree to the date in that matchbox car.

And the REAL reason is #8 (The one they wont admit) which is

8) Driving that small car is a violation of mainstream societies dictates and you risk looking un-cool or shunned by the tribe for stepping out of line.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-02-2022),davidricardo86 (04-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I was expecting this thread to have a discussion also about the trend of subcompacts versus large cars. And I see alot of hypocrisy from the general public that purports to be "green" and care about the planet and yet went out and bought a large SUV or pickup-truck.

These trend-following sheep do things just because they are dictated by "mainstream fashion trends" but they are doing things that are completely illogical such as buying a large vehicle when we all know that parking spaces are still small and that traffic lanes are not being widened and that we are looking at large price increases in fuel (that trend is already underway) and yet mainstream sheep will not apply any critical thinking and instead will just keep behaving irresponsibly and choosing large vehicles.

Top 10 things IDIOTS say to justify owning a gas-guzzzling bohemoth:

1) You look like a sissy/weakling in that tiny car.
    2) If you crash into giant car you will get crushed and killed
    3) There is more comfort and ability to stretch your legs in a big car
    4) $3.60 per gallon gas aint so bad, I can afford it
    5) You look like a poverty in that little clown-car
    6) Valet parkers will sneer when they climb in to that tin-can
    7) You will be celibate since girls wont agree to the date in that matchbox car.

And the REAL reason is #8 (The one they wont admit) which is

8) Driving that small car is a violation of mainstream societies dictates and you risk looking un-cool or shunned by the tribe for stepping out of line.
    I agree with a lot of what you wrote but I wouldn't get too worked up about #1-7. Most are pretty accurate. Especially 1,2,3,5 and 7!
    I couldn't care less what people think of me based on what I drive. I suggest you try the same. I've got the most ghetto pos in line when I pick up my kids from school every day. I love it, kids jump we gtf outta there. Meanwhile other parents are brushing the snow off their kids before they hop into their new Lexus lol.

I don't have an image to uphold, I prefer looking like an unapproachable welfare case. If you can't laugh at yourself in a while then you're too uptight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-02-2022),fc321 (03-03-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't have an image to uphold, I prefer looking like an unapproachable welfare case. If you can't laugh at yourself in a while then you're too uptight.
    I agree. If I were the CEO of a company, I would still like the cars that I like. I wouldn't be driving "the car that a CEO *should drive."

Which is what? Some idiot car that indicates a status, has a value that plummets like an anvil in the ocean, and will become a complete nuisance once the warranty is gone? That just shows that particular CEO is really not smart. Smart people drive cars that either give them minimal trouble, or depreciate as little as possible. Cheap cars have very little dollar space to depreciate. And if you mix that cheap car with one that is reliable, it doesn't get much smarter than that.

The area that I live in, it is all about status. There's not a drive that goes by where I don't see these annoying soccer moms with their ballcaps on (so they "look like" a sport) while driving otherwise completely empty QX80s, big ugly Land Rovers, Mercedes square box SUV things, BMW X5s, ugly Audi suvs (these are less common because they are not huge enough). Suburbans and Expeditions are not expensive enough to demonstrate their status to all their girlfriends and to the peons in the mile long car line to pick up their kids. OMG what they must think of me when they see me in the Blueberry. Just drive by one of the many Scarbutts about 15 minutes after the normal drop off the kids at school in the morning time, and you will see them all lined up in the parking lots, idling their steam roller massive suvs for 45 minutes while they sip their $8 lottes, or whatever that "coffee" is called, and skim pinterest & facebutt. With not a care in the world that they only put 162 miles on 18 gallons of their $4 a gallon premium.

Not saying there's anything wrong with the above, but I choose very differently.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (04-13-2022),fc321 (03-03-2022),Fummins (03-02-2022)

It's kinda like that in the suburb where I live. The wife is kinda like that, but doesn't realize that kia is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to status lol.

A lot of co-workers have been buying new vehicles lately. Many make slightly above min wage and went through roach financing. And I look like the idiot.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-02-2022),fc321 (03-03-2022),inuvik (03-02-2022),mohammad (03-03-2022)