Thread: Torque spec

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Torque spec

Got the new windshield installed, but had to re-adjust the driver side wiper arm when installer was done. Anyone know the wiper arm nut torque spec?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Got the new windshield installed, but had to re-adjust the driver side wiper arm when installer was done. Anyone know the wiper arm nut torque spec?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-16-2022),craigq (02-17-2022),mohammad (02-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you! This forum is the best.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    AP - You're smart for asking. As I recall, some automakers use a soft, like half-cured powdered metal in there. I don't know if it is a powdered metal nut for sure, but it is a soft metal. The plant applies the wiper and (attempts to) set the wiper in the correct parked position.

The specified torque sets the splines on the wiper stud into the soft metal inside the wiper arms. This saves a couple seconds on the assembly line. But highly upsets northern customers when winter conditions leads to stripped wiper arms. I don't believe Toyota does this, but it has been quite a few years since I've worked for either. The special thing that Hyundai-Kia does is, they never set the wiper arm in the exact position and never hit the correct torque either. They're good like that.

I don't know if our Mirage wipers use a soft metal in there or not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm kind of obsessive compulsive about torque specs. They are there for a reason. I think the Mirage may be like you described, the arms felt a little different going on the stud than the last time I had wipers off years ago (replacing a motor on a 1991 Plymouth Colt). All seems to be working fine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I became obsessive compulsive when roadracing motorcycles. And pulling off wheels for tire replacements, and putting all that stuff back on correctly. When I'm well over 100 mph on 2 wheels, and I hit my brake marker, I want all that hardware to be assembled a) optimally to work as nominally as possible, and b) to have confidence that I'm going to have lots of brakes there when needed.

Since those days, I like to hit torque spec's on lots of lesser important items ... yet I still want them to work as designed.

2 days ago I broke a lug stud on my Camry when pulling off a wheel. Because the shop monkeys that installed the tires cross threaded it, but didn't notice because they had their pnuematic impact wrench set on 10,000 lb-ft. So it takes them only 0.7 seconds to run on a lug nut, instead of 0.9 seconds.

Tomorrow they replace the stud for free, or they're going to have a big pissed off Shrek yelling at them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the old "frustrated NASCAR pit crew" working at the tire store. Back in the day when I wrenched for a paycheck, I always used the torque sticks on wheel lugs.

Much respect for racing bikes. Those speeds without any cage or restraints is beyond me. Guy I used to work with raced his Moto Guzzi; went and watched him at Mid-Ohio once.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wish I was OCD with torque specs. I just dont have discipline lol.