Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Real skinny tires...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think a 175/65r14 tire will track better than a skinny 145/65r14 tire, especially on grooved roads. We have those in some places. We have metal bridges in some places, too. Skinny tires don't track well on them. I have to believe a Mirage with slightly larger 175/65r14 tires will be more planted on the road, even though a skinner tire may do better in snow. Plus, the speedometer is a bit off with 165/65r14 tires. I notice the slight difference when using Google Maps & your speed is shown. I suspect a 175/65r14 may actually reflect a more accurate speed.

Others can pipe up better than me, because I have stuck with 165/65r14 tires. I know guys like Dirk have taken my suggestions in the past. I would be curious to see how accurate a 175/65r14 tire seems using Google Maps. When I use Google Maps it will give the speed limit in a location & the speed you are traveling. I use it to keep tabs on my student drivers sometimes, too. Overall, I can glance over & somewhat see what speed they are going, but at times I will turn on Google Maps & really keep tabs on them.
    I'll try to remember to compare my speedo to a speedometer app I have on my phone when I get a chance(stupid iphone has no memory). I assume it'd be just as accurate as the googles. I did check with one of the new cars we got at work and it was off just like the other Mirages I've tested with stock tires.

I didn't think the speedometers were off in the US, thought that was a Canada problem(feature). When I compared to a scan tool the scan tool displayed the correct speed(so the odometer should be accurate with stock tires in theory) as per gps speedometer but the cluster didn't.

I found my 175/65r14's aren't noticably wider than the stock 165's. Moving to a 185/60r14 was noticable to me(driving work cars around), especially on the highway. They seem to require less steering correction and just made it feel slightly more like a grown up car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (01-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Mark - As far as the GPS speed versus speedometer (error), I'm in 100% agreement. When I go for a long drive in any of my vehicles, I am always confirming my GPS speed versus the speedometer. Even speedometer apps agree with google maps and waze, and show that speedometer is off in the Mirage with 165/65 R14 tires.

I was just doing the math this morning. I figure the Mirage is doing as spot on 70 mph as I can get it, and the speedo, the best I can estimate is reading about 71.7 mph. That is 2.43% optimistic error. The 175/65 R14 tires are 2.28% larger in diameter. There's probably more math there than I've considered, I'd probably have to base the error comparisons on circumference / rollout of the tire versus diameter (I'm too low-down and worthless to do this math today, plus I'm working on another patent ... yay!). But in any event, the 175/65 R14 tires should go a long way to correcting the speedometer error.

My old geezer / cheapskate gene is getting excited considering the cost and simplicity of sticking with 14" wheels. Even if they're big ole wide-ass dragster slicks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As for steering my Saturn is also electrical but has none of the annoying Mirage "driving a plate of molasses" feel, it's precise.

My Enasaves were out, doing 100km/h indicated was closer to 92-93 according to scangauge and google. My ECO light went out at 120kmh indicated which was 112kmh real speed.

I'd really like a 5.5 gear to drop the RPM on the hiway. Even my Vue is stupid high, only a couple hundred RPM less than the Mirage for the same speed. TBH, I've been on my winter tires since Nov 2019 from health issues but I've only driven 20KM since then? So, not much at all.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    As for steering my Saturn is also electrical but has none of the annoying Mirage "driving a plate of molasses" feel, it's precise.

My Enasaves were out, doing 100km/h indicated was closer to 92-93 according to scangauge and google. My ECO light went out at 120kmh indicated which was 112kmh real speed.

I'd really like a 5.5 gear to drop the RPM on the hiway. Even my Vue is stupid high, only a couple hundred RPM less than the Mirage for the same speed. TBH, I've been on my winter tires since Nov 2019 from health issues but I've only driven 20KM since then? So, not much at all.
    A taller 5th gear (lowering the RPMs above 60 mph) because it could handle it, less/better power steering, & springs that don't bottom out so easily would make the Mirage manual an almost perfect car!

I personally thought the 2021 update would address some of those issues, but new bumpers & adding features is all they have ever done to the car since 2017. The loss of a manual base model in 2023 is the real bummer for guys like me, but I am probably not the norm

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A taller 5th gear (lowering the RPMs above 60 mph) because it could handle it, less/better power steering, & springs that don't bottom out so easily would make the Mirage manual an almost perfect car!

I personally thought the 2021 update would address some of those issues, but new bumpers & adding features is all they have ever done to the car since 2017. The loss of a manual base model in 2023 is the real bummer for guys like me, but I am probably not the norm
    I can't see why the CVT turns 2000 rpm on the hiway while the 5 MT buzzes out at 3500 rpm. Makes no sense. that is a major gripe of mine. Is it just so downshifting isn't needed to pass someone?

Has anyone looked into importing a new car into the US from Canada? I don't think, other than the TPMS, there are any major safely deficiencies in a Canadian car VS. US model? You guys would make out like bandits with the exchange rate and exemption from provincial taxes.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't see why the CVT turns 2000 rpm on the hiway while the 5 MT buzzes out at 3500 rpm. Makes no sense. that is a major gripe of mine. Is it just so downshifting isn't needed to pass someone?

Has anyone looked into importing a new car into the US from Canada? I don't think, other than the TPMS, there are any major safely deficiencies in a Canadian car VS. US model? You guys would make out like bandits with the exchange rate and exemption from provincial taxes.
    In all honesty, the Mirage in the States has always been nicely equipped.

All 2014-23 Mirage trim levels have had A/C, power windows, power door locks with remote entry. The addition of cruise control to all trim levels in 2019 was also a nice addition. In my opinion, a base model Mirage has not been all that basic. Prior to prices going nuts, a nicely equipped 2021 ES manual would have been around $11,000 OTD for someone like me (loyalty rebate added in). That's surely not the case today.

TPMS & backup cameras are mandatory. Day running lights are not.

I just skimmed a couple articles on the topic of Americans buying a vehicle from Canada, & it started giving me a headache. It's possible, but maybe not fun?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In all honesty, the Mirage in the States has always been nicely equipped.
    TPMS & backup cameras are mandatory. Day running lights are not.

I just skimmed a couple articles on the topic of Americans buying a vehicle from Canada, & it started giving me a headache. It's possible, but maybe not fun?
    If I didn't know better I'd say my first 2014 was a US spec, titled as an ES with climate control, heated seats and 6 way driver seat? And fogs, bluetooth, rear seat heater, keyless entry, heated mirrors. It was a beast. I think the Monroney (Is it gone somewhere?) told me I had a US build.

ETA: Yes, I remember now, I had to go to Mits America to register the car for warranty/recall info.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 01-19-2023 at 06:22 AM.

If I didn't know better I'd say my first 2014 was a US spec, titled as an ES with climate control, heated seats and 6 way driver seat? And fogs, bluetooth, rear seat heater, keyless entry, heated mirrors. It was a beast. I think the Monroney (Is it gone somewhere?) told me I had a US build.

ETA: Yes, I remember now, I had to go to Mits America to register the car for warranty/recall info.
    Seems like yours was exactly like my current car. I’ve had 2 2014 Mirages. Both SE model. One has leather steering wheel and shift knob, cruise and Bluetooth(current car) and the other one didn’t and had a welfare edition steering wheel. To get those things you had to add a “convenience package” option.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A 2014-15 ES would be a top trim level, & the DE was the base trim back then. The 2017-23 ES has been the base trim level.

I am not exactly sure what a 2014-15 ES has or doesn't have for features? I know the 2014-15 ES has push button start. All 2014-15, 2020-23 trim levels have auto climate controls, & all 2014-23 trim levels have A/C (some trim levels have manual climate controls with A/C).

Although Canada still offers a 2023 base level manual, I wouldn't pay more than $10,000 for a Mirage (new or used). That's just my personal limit that I would pay for any daily driver vehicle.

I don't look at my Mirage as being my primary vehicle even though I may drive it 80% of the time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    I don't look at my Mirage as being my primary vehicle even though I may drive it 80% of the time.
    That's an interesting thought, I never considered. Maybe I don't consider it my primary vehicle either. Maybe I consider my LS 460 as my primary vehicle, and that's why I baby it and keep it in the garage most of the time. Hmmmmm...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)