Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing chain crankshaft sprocket part number?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Timing chain kit for a SMART?! oO
    We drive many km, thanks to LPG! That's why I plan to change the timing chain early.. I've already read here in the forum that the rattling when starting is normal.
    The valve seats on these cars are not the high-temp resistant sort needed for LPG, so dont race it and keep an eye on valve play (Ventilspiel) if you don't want a torn off valve to wreck the engine...

As far as I know this forum has never ever seen a problem with the timing chain of our cars. Some other European 3cylinder had problems because their timing chain lacked a lubrication nozzle.

The rattling on start is a classic no-oil-startup rattle. Use a Filtron oilfilter OP575 to stop the rattle. It wont rattle because the oil doesnt flow back into the oil pan after stopping the engine.

A timing chain for Smart? Yes indeed, same water pump too!

Last edited by foama; 03-04-2022 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    500,000km?!!! What holy engine oil do you drive?
    Brown oil. Nothing fancy, just 0w20. I have a bulk oil truck fill up my 55 gallon drum every 3 or so months.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The rattling on start is a classic no-oil-startup rattle. Use a Filtron oilfilter OP575 to stop the rattle. It wont rattle because the oil doesnt flow back into the oil pan after stopping the engine.
    Hello Foama,

Do you really think a filter with an anti drawback valve makes a noticeable difference? the filter mounts horizontally so less than 1/3rd of the filter retains oil. as i think most of it just drains out the center hole. Id honestly probably prefer a filter without the anti-drain back valve as i image it impedes the flow of oil.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Hello Foama,

Do you really think a filter with an anti drawback valve makes a noticeable difference? the filter mounts horizontally so less than 1/3rd of the filter retains oil. as i think most of it just drains out the center hole. Id honestly probably prefer a filter without the anti-drain back valve as i image it impedes the flow of oil.
    The start up rattle annoyed me, so I began to do some research and followed up trying some differenty made filters. The OP575 does the trick, and in the end thats what counts.
    The oil enters through the outer small holes and leaves through the centre hole to go further up.