Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage DE wont crank or start

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2015 Mirage DE wont crank or start

So my wife called me the other day said hey i think the battery is dead she stopped somewhere got out came back tried to start the car and all she got was dash lights and headlights. Turns the key up and nothing once in a great while it will try to crank real quick but after that nothing. I tried to jump it first didnt work. Then I tried to cross the terminals on the starter with the key turned up cranks but never starts. we took the battery to the parts store it read it was low we replaced it still no start. it did about 2 times out of maybe 50 tries try to start for a second while i was crossing the terminals on the starter. we pulled the fuel line at the rail its gettting fuel. pulled a spark plug to see if it was doing anything there the plug is dry and never showed a spark when trying to turn over. I checked the fuses not blown. She also hasnt had an engine light come on. I was looking at possibilities of why its not firing at least on a spark plug thinking camshaft sensor, crank position sensor, ecu. we dont have much money to throw at this it came at a really bad time and if there is someway i can rule out the sensors or ecu or determine what it is id appreciate the help. Someone did say that the starter having the terminals crossed might tell it not to fire like antitheft or something but i havent found more info on that yet.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    if you can't get the starter to spin why bother looking at things like spark plugs? maybe you could try jumping the starter motor solenoid and see if it even spins? https://www.easycarelectrics.com/starter-motor-test/
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear of your trouble. For me I pull the battery and take it to auto shop to be tested and replaced but if that still doesnt fix it I would just take it to the mechanic heh-heh

I have a 2015 too but only with 30k miles so havent had any real problems on mine yet. Good luck hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in. Alternator, starter, spark-plugs, non-corroded battery terminals.

My motorcycle last year would not start and it turned out to be low quality gasoline that I bought at an off-brand gas station in a bad neighborhood that was responsible
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    if you can't get the starter to spin why bother looking at things like spark plugs? maybe you could try jumping the starter motor solenoid and see if it even spins? https://www.easycarelectrics.com/starter-motor-test/
    Why comment if you didnt read the post? We jumped across it (the starter) and it was trying to start which lead us to seeing why it wasnt starting we checked the fuel then the spark. It was not getting a spark from the plugs while turning over the starter.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joekeen77 View Post
    So my wife called me the other day said hey i think the battery is dead she stopped somewhere got out came back tried to start the car and all she got was dash lights and headlights. Turns the key up and nothing once in a great while it will try to crank real quick but after that nothing. I tried to jump it first didnt work. Then I tried to cross the terminals on the starter with the key turned up cranks but never starts. we took the battery to the parts store it read it was low we replaced it still no start. it did about 2 times out of maybe 50 tries try to start for a second while i was crossing the terminals on the starter. we pulled the fuel line at the rail its gettting fuel. pulled a spark plug to see if it was doing anything there the plug is dry and never showed a spark when trying to turn over. I checked the fuses not blown. She also hasnt had an engine light come on. I was looking at possibilities of why its not firing at least on a spark plug thinking camshaft sensor, crank position sensor, ecu. we dont have much money to throw at this it came at a really bad time and if there is someway i can rule out the sensors or ecu or determine what it is id appreciate the help. Someone did say that the starter having the terminals crossed might tell it not to fire like antitheft or something but i havent found more info on that yet.
    Read this a couple of times and beg your patience to see if I understand:
    You stick the key in and with foot on brake, trans in Park, turn the key and it may spin the starter but it may not. Do I have that correct?
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Read this a couple of times and beg your patience to see if I understand:
    You stick the key in and with foot on brake, trans in Park, turn the key and it may spin the starter but it may not. Do I have that correct?
    only a couple times it tried to turn over most of the time it doesnt i have to wait 2 weeks to get a starter none in stock locally we tried to start it by jumping across the starter terminals and it turns over that way just doesnt fire. that was the reason i was asking was there some anti theft feature on this car that prevents it from being started this way.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joekeen77 View Post
    only a couple times it tried to turn over most of the time it doesnt i have to wait 2 weeks to get a starter none in stock locally we tried to start it by jumping across the starter terminals and it turns over that way just doesnt fire. that was the reason i was asking was there some anti theft feature on this car that prevents it from being started this way.
    2 weeks to get a Mirage starter? Hell no, call around salvage yards or there has to be an aftermarket starter for a Mirage after 9 years and 200k Mirages sold in North America. One of wizards off the counsel, help this poor man out with a link. You could go to a dealer and drop $600 on an OEM starter. I haven't read a lot about starter issues on here or the web, I believe Mitsubishi Electric makes them? The Honda Fit also has a Mitsubishi starter too.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Description of jumpering "starter terminals, turns over but won't fire" kinda lets the starter off the hook but indicates the start relay being faulty...

I am thinking ignition switch...
    Karl

I too had a really hard time reading this thread. I hope you don't mind that I edited the original post to make it easier for me to read.
    Hopefully, you can put down the parts cannon. It's not really clear what was happening so I tried to throw some questions down below.
    If you can answer them it'll help others help you out. Don't get too offended by some of the responses you'll get on here. Especially mine.

So my wife called me the other day and said "Hey, I think the battery is dead."

She stopped somewhere, got out, came back tried to start the car. All she got were dash lights and headlights. She turned the key(?) and nothing....

Once in a great while, it will try to crank real quick but after that nothing.-----So the engine was cranking over but the engine wouldn't start. But once in a great while, it'd almost start? Sounds flooded?
    Or do you mean it wouldn't crank/spin/make engine turning over noises/starter didn't work most of the time but would once in a while?

I tried to jump it first. It didn't work.??? --- Are you saying you tried to boost it with a booster pack or jumper cables? What didn't work? Was it the engine turning/cranking over er no?

Then I tried to cross the terminals on the starter with the key turned up(to the run position?) cranks but never starts. ---
    So you jumped the starter and it cranked over but didn't start???

We took the battery to the parts store it read it was low. We replaced it still no start.

It did about 2 times out of maybe 50 tries try to start for a second while I was crossing the terminals on the starter. Can you clarify? It did what? Try to start? was is cranking over(starter working) 2 out of 50 times or? Sounds flooded. there's a chance these things cut power to the starter after they crank for so many seconds straight so you don't burn out the starter.

We pulled the fuel line at the rail its gettting fuel.

We pulled a spark plug to see if it was doing anything there the plug is dry and never showed a spark when trying to turn over. Where were you grounding the spark plug when checking for spark, the plastic valve cover? If all the spark plugs were dry then it's probably not flooded but who knows... Were they bone dry??? Wouldn't hurt to pull all(3) the plugs and check

I checked the fuses not blown.

She also hasnt had an engine light come on.

I was looking at possibilities of why its not firing at least on a spark plug thinking camshaft sensor, crank position sensor, ecu.

We don't have much money to throw at this it came at a really bad time. If there is some way I can rule out the sensors, the ECU, or determine what the problem is/could be I'd appreciate the help. Someone did say that the starter having the terminals crossed might tell it not to fire like antitheft or something but i havent found more info on that yet.

So far I have no real suggestions. The fact that it started and ran one minute the wouldn't start the next is odd. When I have had starters fail in these turds I was told by the drivers that that they took a few tries to get the starter to work prior to it failing altogether. But that's not always the case. I have seen a solenoid just quit and brushes wear completely out.

When you jump the terminals on the starter, which terminals are you jumping? The small solenoid wire(that goes to the ignition switch) and the battery wire(on the starter)?

So does the starter work at all by using the key, always, sometimes, never?

-I don't know if it's been asked at all, is this a 5 speed or automatic(cvt)?

-When trying to start it with the key are there any lights(red or orange) on the cluster that has a key looking symbol that flashes or stays on? I once tried using a key from a different car that fit the ignition but was from a different car. The starter initially worked, car started and died right away. Then cranked for half a second and then wouldn't crank anymore all with the key. The theft/imobilizer light was on. Tried proper key and it fired up.

-Do you have a second backup/spare key to try?
    -I also had a few cars not start once. Actually 2 cars on the same day. Both were 2017's, there were 2 relays in the under hood fuse box that were faulty. I can't remember which relays. This was a 2017 problem though, not a 2015.

-There is a service manual for a 2015 Mirage that you can download for free if you feel like giving that route a go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (04-03-2022),daleWV (04-03-2022),Dirk Diggler (04-03-2022),MetroMPG (04-24-2022),mohammad (04-04-2022),Top_Fuel (04-03-2022)

I guess my post isn't any easier to follow than the original. I'm curious as to wtf was going on with that car. Maybe just out of gas for all we know.

I forgot to mention that checking for trouble codes wouldn't be a bad idea either though who knows what's been unplugged with the key on that'd trip false codes at this point.

Since nobody knows what's going on, the last guess I have is if anything is plugged into the obdII port but that's a long shot. I've never seen something prevent a car from starting.

Unless the op re-appears, I'm gonna go with it was just flooded? Or maybe that kick panel connection.........

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)