Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Vehicle must average 40 MPG by 2026

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New Vehicle must average 40 MPG by 2026

2026? That's 4 years away.

https://www.ksby.com/news/national/n...-mpg?_amp=true

I wonder what does this mean for the Mirage? Hopefully as an ongoing champion of the cheapest brand new car to buy by then.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote: 2026? That's 4 years away.

That was about time!

Quote: I wonder what does this mean for the Mirage? Hopefully as an ongoing champion of the cheapest brand new car to buy by then.

There are plenty kinds of similarly economical cars in Europe and Asia where engineers did their homework!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post

There are plenty kinds of similarly economical cars in Europe and Asia where engineers did their homework!
    Makes no sense. They asked what it meant for the Mirage.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-04-2022),Mark (04-04-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    2026? That's 4 years away.

https://www.ksby.com/news/national/n...-mpg?_amp=true

I wonder what does this mean for the Mirage? Hopefully as an ongoing champion of the cheapest brand new car to buy by then.
    I think new 2022 Mirage is the cheapest new car for sale in Canada at the moment. Add any options, and then the Mirage has competition. But not competition like in Europe with all their small cars for sale and more options on engines and trannys too. I believe the last 2022(1?) Spark manual bare bones in Ontario is sold finally. Easier to keep track of that sort of thing with the shortages. Anyways,

Clean air is good for everyone, ask older generations what life with coal burning was like. I wouldn't mind a hybrid Maverick, just not sure about groceries, or if they're future rust buckets.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Nissan is going to rebadge the Mirage in the next 5 years I'm guessing? Call it the Nissan Knob.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (04-04-2022),vintzend (04-04-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi has been experts in mass marketing of mass production products for centuries. I found this little doozy nugget of trivia on page 843 in the book The Penguin History of the World, 6th ed. I typed out the quote because it's just so good

"the eighteenth-century house of Mitsui (two centuries later still a pillar of Japanese capitalism) gave free umbrellas decorated with their trademark to customers caught in their shops by the rain"

People around the world need cheap and reliable transportation. Hopefully we get more lightweight and efficient cars sold in Canada again. I don't want to have to take out a second mortgage to drive a basic automobile.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Someday, the irresistable force of government mandates is going to run headlong into the immovable object of consumer demand.

That pile-up ain't gonna be pretty. You can lead an American to a Nissan Leaf, but you can't make him buy.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (04-04-2022),Basic (04-04-2022),daleWV (04-05-2022),Fummins (04-04-2022),Top_Fuel (04-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Makes no sense. They asked what it meant for the Mirage.
    I don't think foama has a good grasp of the American market.

In the past 5 years (2017-2021) -

average Mitsubishi Mirage sales were 23,109/year (approximately 300 Mitsubishi dealerships)

average Chevy Spark sales were 27,081/year (approximately 3,000 Chevy dealerships)

There are no other small, affordable, economy cars sold in North America.

Cars like the Prius c, Sonic, Yaris, Fiesta, Focus, Fit, Fiat 500, entire Scion line up & others have disappeared in the past 5-years. Even the Spark is done after this year.

Compare that to the Ford F-150 over the past 5 years -

average F-150 sales were 843,205/year.

Meanwhile, the Dodge Ram & Chevy Silverado battled it out for 2nd & 3rd place.

It has nothing to do with engineers at all. Economy cars don't sell well here. If they did, Honda & Toyota wouldn't be dropping their small cars. Chevy, Chrysler, & Ford have practically given up on cars all together.

Any car that is sold in Europe could be sold in North America. To think otherwise would be foolish.

If the Mitsubishi Triton was sold in North America, I would predict the Triton would have more sales than all the other Mitsubishi models combined.

That's the reality as I see it. If foama wants to pass judgment on that, I am for freedom of speech!

If more affordable, economical cars became the norm again, I predict the Mirage would be wiped out here. Currently, the Mirage has very little competition, and Mitsubishi's sales expectations are modest at best. Doesn't it seem like less Mirages are being sent to North America this year? If that's not the case, where are they?

Considering Chevy has 10 times more dealerships than Mitsubishi, the Mirage has held its own against the Spark. The Mirage won't even have to do that after this year. The Spark will be gone, too!
    Last edited by Mark; 04-04-2022 at 06:31 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (04-04-2022),inuvik (04-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I notice they are willing to give a subsidy or "rebate" whatever to people that buy electric car but how come they dont do it for people that buy a small econobox like the Mirage?
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    What a very German thing to say...

Your words seem to imply that only European and Asians could develop a fuel efficient vehicle. But here in North American, it is about a free market system. Most people over here don't care to ride around in a shoe box with a gerbil on a wheel for an engine.

But the tides are shifting. Yet still, Tesla & Rivian, which are American companies, have created vehicles that continue to NOT be shoeboxes, implement motors that crank out more power than what is used in a hair dryer, and ACHIEVE way more than 40 mpg. While European and Asian auto companies buy said vehicles and tear them down in order to copy them where they can.

Anywho - I'm assuming this 40 mpg average will be met using the mpg numbers from EV & Hybrid whatever vehicles. That and continuing to make ICE engines more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Someday, the irresistable force of government mandates is going to run headlong into the immovable object of consumer demand.

That pile-up ain't gonna be pretty. You can lead an American to a Nissan Leaf, but you can't make him buy.
    Agreed! Maybe one day we will return to a 100% free market like we once had. It won't likely be in my lifetime. Instead of having a gobment that forces citizens to do what THE GOBMENT thinks is best for them. A free market development of green vehicles (or any product) would likely be more effective and quicker than the gobment mandating their citizens into green corners.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (04-04-2022),Mark (04-05-2022)