Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CVT hum/whine

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That tends to confirm that it is NOT the CVT. If it were the CVT, the noise would have gone away. It sounds like it is a tire making noise, or a wheel bearing as suggested / suspected.
    That's what I was thinking too, so I ordered a wheel bearing from Rockauto yesterday. About $22 with shipping. Will probably pry it open and make sure it's greased well. I've gotten other sealed bearings before that looked almost dry of grease inside.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Will probably pry it open and make sure it's greased well. I've gotten other sealed bearings before that looked almost dry of grease inside.
    NO... NO... NO... Don't open a sealed bearing to see the grease inside. You'll never get it re-sealed tight & just accelerate the destruction of your new bearing... That's why they are sealed, they have enough grease in them to lube them & they are sealed to keep contaminates out that make them go bad.. As soon as you remove the seal, you break the barrier & will never get it sealed again to not allow grease out & junk & water in... If you opened a new bearing with no grease in it, you need a better bearing. Maybe there is a reason the $20.00 bearing is priced less then the $50.00 bearing... Sorry, Just rambling again... Just My worthless $0.02 opinion
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-29-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    You could rotate tires to see if the hum changes location. Making it a tire issue. Or, jack up a wheel / tire off the ground. In the past I removed the wheel and spun the hub by hand. The time I had a bad bearing I was surprised at just how obvious it was. I could feel a very distinct difference in 1 bearing ... not even the bearing I suspected. Changed it and all was quiet again. Of course, I let it go for a long time so that bad bearing was REAL bad.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    ...so I ordered a wheel bearing from Rockauto yesterday. About $22 with shipping.
    You may want to read through these threads to see what's involved with changing a wheel bearing before you start tearing things apart.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ng-replacement

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-bearing-maybe

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...wheel-bearing)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (04-13-2022),Dirk Diggler (04-12-2022)

I figured with the price of gas right now I'll never be able to get more for it than right now.
    What will you replace it with?

Or go back to driving a Metro? Maybe you still have a sweet, sweet Civic VX?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Use factory transmission fluid ONLY in this tranny!

So I made it to 77,000 miles and have decided to sell my 2014 ES. I figured with the price of gas right now I'll never be able to get more for it than right now. Well... It seems to have developed a hum or whine that's very noticeable between 40-45 mph and @ 2,000 rpm. I'm thinking it sounds like it's coming from the CVT. Anybody else experienced this? I've read that much higher mileage units might do this. Just changed trans fluid last week and it's had regular service prior. Fluid always nice looking, never burnt. Need to figure this out quick because I don't want to sell it to anybody if the trans is getting ready to take a dump. Fummins, you out there?
    I had a guy who without authorization, changed the CVT transmission fluid in my 2014 Mirage using Valvoline J4 "compatible fluid" at around 73K. Well, shortly after that, the whine started, which I too initially thought was due to a wheel bearing. To make a long story short, It cost me a $300 dealer transmission flush to replace the tranny fluid with factory branded fluid. No more whine after that. The car is so light that wheel bearings should not fail at 77K. Now if this were a PT Cruiser, then I would definitely suspect wheel bearing failure (among a host of other failures of this POJ). CVT trannys use very high fluid pressures since friction is all that keeps that belt from slipping. So the friction /heat/pressure specifications of the fluid are critical for proper operation. These CVT's are very costly to replace. Factory fluid use will also help keep your warranty in place. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by randysmirage View Post
    I had a guy who without authorization, changed the CVT transmission fluid in my 2014 Mirage using Valvoline J4 "compatible fluid" at around 73K. Well, shortly after that, the whine started, which I too initially thought was due to a wheel bearing. To make a long story short, It cost me a $300 dealer transmission flush to replace the tranny fluid with factory branded fluid. No more whine after that. The car is so light that wheel bearings should not fail at 77K. Now if this were a PT Cruiser, then I would definitely suspect wheel bearing failure (among a host of other failures of this POJ). CVT trannys use very high fluid pressures since friction is all that keeps that belt from slipping. So the friction /heat/pressure specifications of the fluid are critical for proper operation. These CVT's are very costly to replace. Factory fluid use will also help keep your warranty in place. Good luck!
    Once again, I'll have to disagree with what you're posting.
    There is no need to buy oem fluid. If you had noise after "a guy" replaced your fluid then they probably didn't put the proper amount back in it. How much did they pour in it, how did they drain it? Did they replace the filter, or the other filter? Did they measure how much came out? Did they use a scan tool and watch fluid temp and verify proper level using the little chart in the fsm?
    Did the dealer do any of these things? Did you know they have filters? Most dealers don't....

Using aftermarket fluid will not void your warranty(if it meets the proper specs). Most aftermarket fluids meet the correct specs, I've never seen one that hasn't. I've never had an issue using aftermarket fluid.

Keeping clean fluid and the proper level is key. The cvt doesn't care what label is on the bottle. If overpaying at a dealership makes you sleep better at night, that's great. Spreading regurgitated miss-information likely acquired from a clueless service department genius isn't so much.

Wheel bearings can fail regardless of mileage or the weight of the vehicle.

Cvt's are expensive to replace if you buy it from the dealer. Any transmission is expensive if you buy it from the dealer. There are tons of low mileage used ones around. They fit pretty much any Mirage 2014-2020, maybe even newer? There's no need to buy a new cvt unless, again, buying from the dealer makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

It's probably more beneficial to read some threads on this forum than listen to a service advisor or watching some book ler-ned hoople head on youtube.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-02-2022 at 02:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-03-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's probably more beneficial to read some threads on this forum than listen to a service advisor...
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of disagree with ya there. Uhhhhh yeah, it is DEFINITLY more beneficial to do as quoted.

I might not have thought so, however after working for Toyota Motor Corporation in design, and then having the (ahem) privilege to visit some dealers and get to know them, there is NO END to a dealership's ignorance and lies. Their main job centers around these things: Lying as if you know what you're talking about, cheating, stealing, liquor and golf. They're like politicians, except dealers get caught in their lies more and are less successful in covering it up, and yet they could care less. There's plenty more suckers heading for their doors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of disagree with ya there. Uhhhhh yeah, it is DEFINITLY more beneficial to do as quoted.

I might not have thought so, however after working for Toyota Motor Corporation in design, and then having the (ahem) privilege to visit some dealers and get to know them, there is NO END to a dealership's ignorance and lies. Their main job centers around these things: Lying as if you know what you're talking about, cheating, stealing, liquor and golf. They're like politicians, except dealers get caught in their lies more and are less successful in covering it up, and yet they could care less. There's plenty more suckers heading for their doors.
    I said probably because it depends on which posts you read and take as gospel. And some dealers might have some decent staff. I've had poor luck with our nearby Mitsu dealer. Both service and parts departments sucked(not the good way) all the time. The Nissan dealer I dealt with when we had an intermittent problem with a vehicle randomly loosing throttle response looked after us great. It was a hard to diagnose problem that took them a few tries to get right. They replaced a few parts and it worked for 1 year, until warranty was up. Then happened again. They fixed it out of warranty free of charge. It was a pre-existing problem but they could have easily claimed it was a different issue.

Some of that might be perception, I knew it was a hard to diagnose problem and understood it'd take time. I usually hate dealers(finance companies) but this one was alright. Some people might have ran to their keyboard to ***** about how their not being treated fairly if they went through the same thing.

I agree, dealers suck 99.9999% of the time. But, I suppose if you had poor experience at one shop(unauthorized work performed), going into a dealer and getting sodomized might feel pretty good in comparison.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Once again, I'll have to disagree with what you're posting.
    There is no need to buy oem fluid. If you had noise after "a guy" replaced your fluid then they probably didn't put the proper amount back in it. How much did they pour in it, how did they drain it? Did they replace the filter, or the other filter? Did they measure how much came out? Did they use a scan tool and watch fluid temp and verify proper level using the little chart in the fsm?
    Did the dealer do any of these things? Did you know they have filters? Most dealers don't....

Using aftermarket fluid will not void your warranty(if it meets the proper specs). Most aftermarket fluids meet the correct specs, I've never seen one that hasn't. I've never had an issue using aftermarket fluid.

Keeping clean fluid and the proper level is key. The cvt doesn't care what label is on the bottle. If overpaying at a dealership makes you sleep better at night, that's great. Spreading regurgitated miss-information likely acquired from a clueless service department genius isn't so much.

Wheel bearings can fail regardless of mileage or the weight of the vehicle.

Cvt's are expensive to replace if you buy it from the dealer. Any transmission is expensive if you buy it from the dealer. There are tons of low mileage used ones around. They fit pretty much any Mirage 2014-2020, maybe even newer? There's no need to buy a new cvt unless, again, buying from the dealer makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

It's probably more beneficial to read some threads on this forum than listen to a service advisor or watching some book ler-ned hoople head on youtube.
    Couldn't agree more. I remember when I first got my Mirage almost 4 years ago and was calling around different transmissions shops too see if they were willing to shop a used CVT for me and plop it in, hardly any of them would. I kept getting the same "we only warranty our services with new parts". Now, after calling around it's a lot easier to find a shop willing to do this thank god. My Aamco guy even confirmed, at least in his store, they know how ridiculously expensive a new JATCO CVT is, so hunting around for a cheap low mile one is simply all apart of their services now. I wonder if CVT rebuilds will be possible?