Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do hybrids work?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    I don't see 71hp specified in the article you linked to. It specifies 121hp/105 lb-ft for ICE and electric together. Anyway, as far as I know the big thing in electric motors is not max power, but max torque. That motor you linked to does 100hp at 1775rmp. That is 410Nm, which is 302 lb-ft, which is almost 3 times the torque of both Corolla engines together.
    The corolla rating is really weird, the gas motor produces 121hp, electric produces 71hp and combined they produce 121hp? screenshot from the article i originally linked.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 12.31.11 PM.png
Views: 208
Size:  47.9 KB

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What exactly do you want? Your original post asks how hybrids work. Now you want to know how mfg's are able to produce such a small efficient motor? Try google then read words.

As always
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-26-2022),mohammad (04-26-2022)

So it has 2 motors with 71 and 7 hp and a 151 hp engine?

How did they make the toyota engine so small? I searched and came up with this https://www.ebay.ca/itm/125271009331...QAAOSwFV5iYFwD So many words.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My other car is a 2020 Prius Prime (Plug-In)

For starters: it's an e-CVT which is not at all like a regular CVT. The e-CVT uses the electric motors in a planetary gear set to apply different levels of resistance to effectively moderate the ICE speed. Toyota calls this "Hybrid Synergy Drive" and it is very very smooth, there's no feeling of gears shifting and you do not feel anything when the ICE starts or stops. They've perfected this drive-train in the years.

Now as to how they work, I can only speak for my car and the Prius line-up.

At low speeds up to anywhere between 16-22mph, it's all-electric (you can get further if you accelerate less forcefully) before the ICE starts to help. But this isn't the end of the story for the electric motors, they continue to assist the ICE all the way until the battery is depleted to a certain level in a standard hybrid configuration, at which point remaining reserve power must be used to moderate ICE speeds. This isn't a one or the other deal for the Prius. For the Plug-In version, they will help for much longer in hybrid mode as the battery is bigger. I've actually been in hybrid mode only and gotten up to 62mph before the ICE turned on (which is awesome, but impossible in the standard hybrid as the battery is too small for this and the electric motors are much weaker).

I shouldn't have to speak much about what happens in all-electric mode for the Plug-Ins: they're all electric until the battery is depleted.

On the interstate, when the speed is constant such as having your cruise control set, and the incline is perfectly flat (or even better, downhill), the car will make best-guess decisions on what to do to save more fuel. This commonly results in the ICE turning off/on periodically as the battery is charged on down-hill regenerative braking and then you level off again. On the uphill climbs, the electric motors will assist the ICE as much as possible.

In the Prius lineup, rarely ever does the ICE run exclusively. For the majority of your drive, the electric motors are at a minimum assisting the ICE. This is because the Prius is what they term a "full hybrid" and not a partial hybrid.

The only reason this advanced level of power-sharing is possible in the Prius and other cars by Toyota using the Hybrid Synergy Drive is because of just that - the proprietary Hybrid Synergy Drive planetary gear-set. There are no clutch pads, not a single one. I don't know the story for other large SUV hybrids, but in Toyota's small hybrid cars, you don't have clutch pads. The battery must always have some charge for the e-CVT to work because it uses resistance from the electric motors to moderate ICE speeds. If your battery dies completely, sorry you're out of luck the car can't drive because the e-CVT can't work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRagland For This Useful Post:

mohammad (04-26-2022),Top_Fuel (04-26-2022),vintzend (04-26-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just want someone to show me a similarly priced, sized, powered (71hp ish) electric motor for sale on flea bay.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I just want someone to show me a similarly priced, sized, powered (71hp ish) electric motor for sale on flea bay.
    How about a Prius transmission? Lkq has a $hit ton of them for under $200! https://www.ebay.com/itm/36305474187...sAAOSwiNRgbaAL https://www.ebay.com/itm/31375007810...3ABFBM_LS89Yxg

Or buy just the stator for more money? https://www.ebay.com/itm/18539691220...Cclp%3A2047675

I may be talking out my hoop but I think there are electric motors in them transmissions? 67 herse powers maybe?
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-26-2022 at 07:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How about a Prius transmission? Lkq has a $hit ton of them for under $200! https://www.ebay.com/itm/36305474187...sAAOSwiNRgbaAL https://www.ebay.com/itm/31375007810...3ABFBM_LS89Yxg

Or buy just the stator for more money? https://www.ebay.com/itm/18539691220...Cclp%3A2047675

I may be talking out my hoop but I think there are electric motors in them transmissions? 67 herse powers maybe?
    To my knowledge the transmissions won't house the electric motors. If I had a quick picture to attach I'd do so to show where the motors are vs the transmission. They're joined together, but they're different components.

The electric motors are high-voltage (400V) AC Synchronous drive. They use a rather large rare-earth permanent magnet. They don't come cheap, but they also rarely ever break down.

It looks like one of these ebay links does have the motors attached to it though, and it's a killer price deal as well. The first link is literally just the transmission, the last one has the motors attached to it too. Obviously the stater link is a stater, and it's expensive as one would think it should be.
    Last edited by BRagland; 04-26-2022 at 08:55 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Then you need to know what type of motor you're looking for. The Corolla motors are rated correctly. There's 2 of them. One is 7hp and functions mostly as a generator, and one is 71hp and is the primary traction motor.

You cannot look for a motor you plug into 120V mains power that is similar in size per output power because that would be incorrect, and wouldn't exist.

The motors are 400V (high-voltage) AC Synchronous rare-earth metals permanent-magnet electric motors. They will be incredibly power-dense vs an industrial 120/240V mains typical AC motor. You will get more power per size out of a high-voltage motor that uses such magnets.

Skip ahead to the 22:22 mark

Motor should be housed in the back of the transmission? Where them big orange cables attatch? Attachment 23267
    Attachment 23268
    OR does this attach to the bellhousing?
    I know it's not a corolla but comparing a hybrid motor to a baldor isn't a good comparison either.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-26-2022 at 09:20 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You've gone from asking how a hybrid works to asking us to show you a 71HP motor...... isn't that the same as the Farmer in 1890 looking for the 4 Horses in the 4 HP Hit & Miss engine that was rated @ 4HP that was used to pumped water?? They didn't understand it either, but technology is moving on... Flea Bay may not yet have these available as they may be the 21st century version of the 4 HP Fairchild ... Just Thoughts... Wait a while to look for them...

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)