Thread: Rolled The Fenders On This Little Beast

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rolled The Fenders On This Little Beast

I've been having a lot of rubbing running 195/60/15 snow tires. Since I had the tool for it, I rolled the fenders to make additional clearance because of there was a lot of scrubbing over sharp dips or bumps (rapid front suspension compression). To be clear, there is till some rubbing from the front of the skirts at least. I'm still figuring it out, but rolling the fenders was worth it. Not easy even with the proper tool, and certainly requires that I have and artistic side.

Some pictures....

Before:

After:

A pic of the tool, Schwaben brand available from ECS Tuning:

Sitting on it's wheels after:

It's really amazing how little it shows in the pictures how much the fenders are puffed out. It was a heathy 1/2" of clearance added. Maybe that means I did a good job? Anyway, it helps. I've tested it over the dips and it's not catching the edge of the fender anymore. It still is hitting on the front of the black side skirt piece here and there.

Just a note about fender rolling...

The heat gun there is meant to heat up the paint so it doesn't crack when you bend the metal it's bonded to. The paint should be hot enough to not burn by touching it, but burn if you hold it for more than a moment.
    Last edited by Fopeano; 12-29-2022 at 10:39 AM.
    Mitsu master tech since 2009, German car guy, recently bought a 14 Mirage 5spd with 145k. Youtube Channel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 30.5 mpg (US) ... 13.0 km/L ... 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp)