Hi guys! A guy at work was not able to start his car. He had jumper cables and asked if I could provide the booster car.

I've never jump started a car, but I DID know enough to know that there is a certain order in which you have to connect the cables. I asked him if he did and he replied with 'black to black, red to red'. This was the 1st danger sign I suppose..sigh.

He proceeded to connect the cables and produced numerous sparks. When it was all connected, he attempted to start his car. Did not work. So he started fidgeting around with the cables producing even more sparks. I let him do this for a bit until I got tired of seeing the light show and said no more, that was it.

I know the electronics side of the car is very important and did not want to run the risk of him somehow damaging the ECU or something.

I drove home and turned off the car. Waited a few minutes and turned the car on again successfully just to make sure nothing was wrong.

Was there any damage done by this inept jump start? What could have happened if I let the light show go on??

Post Script: I looked up the exact procedure on how to connect the cables and know it like the back of my hand now. Needless to say, I now know he was doing it completely wrong.

-Charlie-