Quote Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
Least reliable:

1985 Audi 5000S. Car was beautiful inside and still looked really good on the outside, despite a few rust holes (Audi was first to use galvanized steel). Those holes and the fact it was a Canadian car (I was in Florida) owned by a real old dude should have been a big red flag. Stupid thing was a rusted out hunk of junk underneath. On the day I bought it, en route home, it blew out a metal brake line. Of course the emergency brake cable was stretched and barely worked so we had to carefully use the clutch/1st gear and a parking space divider to come to a stop. All the metal brake lines were rotted and had to be replaced along with the clutch slave cylinder. I believe the fuel pressure accumulator and/or regulator was rusted out too because when left overnight, fuel pressure would drop and you would have to crank it for 10 minutes before it would start. This constant cranking burned out the rusty starter. When hot, she would fire right up and actually ran good. The 5 cylinder motor was the only thing worth a damn on the car. The CV axle was falling apart. The auto HVAC was stuck in defrost mode and made weird clicking noises, sounding like a ticking time bomb. The AC was ice cold when we bought it but it died a few days later. The dash warning system (very futuristic for the time) flashed just about every warning light in succession constantly, along with warning dings. The final straw was when she sprung a large oil leak. Turns out the oil pan had literally rusted straight through and all that was holding the oil in was a quarter size flake of rust just waiting to fall off. All this occurred over about a month. We put a sign on her for $400obo and washed our hands. NEVER BUY A CANADIAN CAR!
No it wasn't because it was a Canadian car, it was a mid-80s Audi 4000/5000. I have never been in one that had fully functional a/c, power accessories, etc.. Even back when they were relevant, they were ugly unreliable cars.